Official Community Forums Home

Gall Stones

Cyn

• Members

Hey everyone,

I found out that I have gall stones this summer and from my research I found out that stones can be caused by increases in estrogen like birth control.  Do you know of any birth control pills or something similar that doesn't use estrogen?

• 4 weeks later...

There is no better advice than your gynecologist's. 

I believe all birth control pills use some form of estrogen levels since that's the hormone that the body uses especially when pregnant. But I could be wrong. 

Now,  there are other forms of birth control other than pills.  IUD's, condoms,  spermicide foam, shots,   I'm not sure if they pills are out that are for men yet,  but I read that they are working on it. 

Birth control is the responsibility of both people.  But it usually the woman that takes the responsibility of the woman,  since she's the one that can get pregnant. 

Due to lack of insurance,  my ex husband and I use to use condoms and spermicide foam together. I definitely wanted to ensure no pregnancy. 

After we divorced,  I went and got my tubes cut,  tied,  and burned. I have one child,  that's all I wanted. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks Tyger I was wondering about the IUD.  I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow, but may chicken out and cancel today, and I see my OB next week.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I had my gallbladder out.  My surgeon said stones are either fat or calcium.  Fat stones are bigger.

• Members

A bit of a tangent here, but something I have been curious about and haven't found an answer yet.

How come they have to take the gall bladder out?  Why can't they just poke a hole in it, pop out the stones, and sow it back up?

• Members
On 5/10/2018 at 8:41 PM, square said:

A bit of a tangent here, but something I have been curious about and haven't found an answer yet.

How come they have to take the gall bladder out?  Why can't they just poke a hole in it, pop out the stones, and sow it back up?

I think once your gallbladder produces stones it always will.  Like people that get kidney stones, usually they keep getting them.  And you can function without your gallbladder so why not just take it out.  I don't think I'd risk the pain of possibly getting more stones.

• Like 1