Official Community Forums Home

Condom/latex Allergy

goodfairy7

• Members

I was hoping someone here could help me....

I seem to have developed an allergic reaction the the protction my s/o and I were using.

Needless to say, after spending time together last night, I am in considerable pain today.

Does anyone know what to do to relieve the pain and discomfort?

I tried taking a bath, taking a bath with Epsom Salts, Antibiotic cream...nothing is helping.

Thannks :(

• Members

try taking some benedryl.

Do not attempt to douche or use an antibiotic cream on your outer or inner labia, this will just further the current aggrevation and make things worse.

Did you recently change lubes or do you use pre lubricated condoms?

If you use a pre lubed condom, does the lube contain noxinol9?

or a type of spermicide?

Did you recently change condom brands?

The reason I ask is because if you have changed something recently, then you may have aggrevated the delicate balance that is going on.

Is it possible you have a yeast infection?

Some lubes contain sugar, and if they do, it will feed the natural yeast that is always present in the vagina.

If you have a latex allergy, get some sheepskin condoms, they do not protect against HIV but work well in the pregnancy protection area.

These SHOULD be available at most pharmacies.

I say should because all pharmacies are differant.

If you are trying to prevent pregnancy, speak with you doctor about the various methods available.

good luck!

• Members

Try Monistat (for yeast infections) because it has an anti-inflamatory in it, it will reduce the swelling from the reaction and help with the pain.

In the future, try lambskin condoms - or use a spermicidal jelly and get on the pill!

Good Luck!

Mikayla

• Members

Thank you both.

I just recently started the pill and im not quite ready to give up on the extra protection.

We didnt switch brands, but did switch to a different type, and now that you mention it, im thinking that it must contain noxinol9, which I do have an allergy to, and totally forgot about.

I have very sesitive skin anyway, so I was a little worried about that happening and sure enought it did.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I dont have any type of infection, its just an outer irritation, and it hurts like heck!

Not a fun place to have an allergic reaction.

Ill try the lambskin, which ive never heard of.

Thank you again. :D