Official Community Forums Home

A Reminder

whiskeywoman

• Members

Now that the holidays are upon us whether we want them to or not, we rely upon our toys more now than ever as a way to relieve the stress from our every day lives.

I know several of us that have toys that are powered by small and common watch batteries.

I also know that several members f this board are parents of school aged children and toddlers and upcoming toddlers.

I would like to take this time to remind all parents of small children to take extra precautions to make sure that all used batteries are disposed of properly, and that they are stored in a safe place.

With all the hustle and bustle of the upcoming holidays and with family and friends soon to be upon our doorsteps, parents need to take a few extra moments to double check and make sure all batteries, especially the watch kind are picked up, and are not laying around on the floor where small children are not likely to find them.

I am reminding everyone of this, because 2 days ago, my 5 yr old daughter found a watch battery that had fallen out of my pocket without my knowledge and swallowed it.

The doctor is pretty sure it will pass without incident, but I still have to keep an eye out for any unusal signs or symptoms.

may the holidays all be as stress free as is humanly possible.

What great advise for any time of year, but this IS a great time to be reminded of such things!

I'd like to add as well, that the little pieces that hold children's toys in their boxes so they're harder to steal, the wire ties, and plastic retangular things, are also a possible, very common choking hazard. Make sure to pick all of these up, and dispose of them ASAP.

Hopefully, this time shall pass as Merry & Bright as possible.

Whiskey, I hope your daughter is OK. Please keep us "posted".

• Members

Awww sorry to hear. Yes what a great reminder, I hope your daughter will be okay. My daughter when she was about 4yrs old, she is 10 now but when she was younger, I accidently left a AAA battery on the counter, Lord only knows what she was thinking when she decided to eat it. She didn't choke, someone must have been watching over her. I relized it later though that it was missing so I asked her and she said yummy. My heart sank and I called the DR, we took her in and low and behold she did eat it. It passed without a problem thank goodness, trust me we knew when it passed the poor girl. I have to say since that accident I think I am a little to cautious anymore. Even though she is 10 kids will be kids and do the most usual things, say the sillest things etc. Hell to this day I am still wondering how the hell she swallowed it without choking I guess someone was at our side then. I am sure your little one will be okay and hopefully it will not be a painful pass like my daughters was. Bless her little heart, Good luck and take care.

• Members

that is a great reminder, thank you. I would also like to add my two cents. Before I wrap presents for my kids I take each toy out of the box add batterys if needed and throw away all thoes litttle ties and plastic peices. On Christmas morning they can get the toy out by them selves and I only have the box and paper to throw away, makes clean up a lot easier and I dont have to worry about the little peices.