Official Community Forums Home

Pregnancy Snafu

Ducky19

• Members

Hello all - while I'm not what you would call a regular poster, I do browse a lot! For those of you not aware, my wife is now at 28 weeks with our son :P Well, last week she told me something that caused me a little alarm (I won't go into the details - suffice it to say it would gross you out). I started pressing her to call her doctor, but she's as stubborn as she is beautiful. So today I finally guilted her into calling her doctor who of course wanted to see her today. Long story short, somehow last week she ruptured her membrane - for anyone who doesn't know, this isn't really something you want to happen at 6 months. The doctor sent her straight to the hospital, do not pass go, do not collect $200, where she will remain until she delivers. The doc pretty much told her she will not go full term, but that every day we keep Jr inside is time well spent. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers - we need em!

Thanks~

• Members

My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Babies do pretty well at this age. It will be very scary for a long time, though. Keep your spirits up.

If you need someone to talk to, PM me. I am a nurse in a neonatal ICU. I will provide whatever support I can give.

I hope that your baby can stay in the womb longer, without more difficulties.

It can be stressful just BEING pregnant, so I'm sure that this is a hard time for the both of you. I'm glad you were able to get your wife to go see her OB/GYN. And I hope other women read this, and realize that being stubborn, or, "oh, everything's fine, I'd KNOW if something was wrong" doesn't always cover it. Always take care of yourself, pregnant or not, but ESPECIALLY when pregnant!!

Sending gestational vibes your way!

• Members

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your wife and junior.

• Members

Sending out healthy, healing, happy thoughts! We'll be waiting for the post that tells us what a safe, healthy delivery your wife had! :)

• Members

My thoughts and prayers are with you too. I am now 20 weeks or so pregnant, and I know how scary this can be - any problems of any sort. I am sure she and the baby will be FINE!!

Here is a cautionary "lecture" for others who may just read here:

If you are pregnant, and suspect ANYTHING is wrong, CALL YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY! I know sometimes you do not want to overreact, but the doctors and nurses are well aware that pregnancy is a special state and that peole have concerns and questions. IT is better to hear that it is nothing, than hear it is something! Do not risk your baby's health by figuring it out yourself, your doctor works for YOU!!!

• Members

my prayers are with you and your wife and baby just as everyone has said it can be very scary when concerns of this nature comes up,BUT stay strong and uplifted and try to not to worry keep us posted on everything you have a great support team here

• Members

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers - it really means a lot! :rolleyes: We had a sonogram today that helped ease our minds at least a little. The baby is approx. 3 lb 1 oz which is a little above average for the age, but very good in this case (our daughter was 9 lb 3 oz, so bigger wasn't really better there! :o ) We have the fantastic fortune to be in one of the best hospitals in the state (and by far the best in the area) for this sort of situation, and there are three high risk doctors that we will be dealing with. The doctor we saw today said that she currently has a perfectly normal amount of amniotic fluid, but that this can change at any time. My wife got her second steroid shot tonight - these are to help develop the baby's lungs. She is also on magnesium sulfate to keep contractions away, and also has two antibiotics that they are tag teaming her with. We are far from out of the woods, but things could look a lot worse! Pretty much all we can do at this point is to pray that little sucker in place - please, as others stated above - if you are pregnant and you sense ANYTHING out of the ordinary (and there will be lots of those things, most of which are perfectly normal) ANYTHING at all, call your doctor!!! They would much rather see you 5 times a month for no reason than to not see you and have something happen. Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers, I will keep you updated as time allows. :blink:

• Members

Hello, Of course I wish you all the best. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers. I have alot of faith. In fact I have been right were your wife is now. When I was pregnant with my daughter my membranes ruptured and my water also broke I was at the time only 22weeks, I was in OB ICU, I was having contractions on and off alot. I learned something when I was there though, and you know this was my 4th child at this time, I wont get into all that though. I was recieving steriod shots since they new I was going to end up delivering very early do to they were having to keep mag (which stops labor, or is suppose to) drip up all the time.

Well I made it to 29weeks with her, and then there was no holding back, they tried to stop labor and do everything possible tell her little foot came out, yes my daughter was breech and very early but my daughter weighed 3lbs 4ozs and of course stayed in the hosptital and today she is 10 and a healthy litttle girl with alot of spunk. I have alot of faith and this was back in 1996, and I know the medicine technology has sure come along way.

Wish you both and the little one the best!!!

• Members

Howard, I have to disagree with you on a few points. First, a doctor who cares for pregnant women is an obstetrician. A doctor who cares for infants and children is a pediatrician.

Next, although there are times that nitric oxide (laughing gas) is used on newborns with special problems, usually oxygen is mixed with compressed air. Room air that we breath is 21% oxygen. By mixing the two gases, we can get anywhere from 21% to 100% oxygen. The amount of oxygen that a baby breaths is constantly monitored to protect not only his eyes, but his lungs. Yes, a baby's lungs can be damaged by too much oxygen.

I usually don't post if I disagree with someone, but this was much too important for me to pass up.

• Members

I think when points are made by anyone on this board that are incorrect, it is our duty to point it out. Since you seemingly know more abut this than Howard (and most people know that a doctor who deals with pregnancies is an OBGYN - I think Howard just mistyped) I feel that it is perfectly OK to correct his post.

I frequently find people who mispost things - and if it is important to correct them, I definitely will! So, it is not a disagreement, per se, but more of a correction, and I say "thanks."