Official Community Forums Home

Can Anal Sex Cause A Yeast Infection?

Serama

I am wondering if anal sex can cause a yeast infection. We had anal sex Saturday night, and now I have this terrible itch that FEELS like a yeast infection feels, only it is not a "vaginal" itch, it is an anal itch and sort of between vagina and anus.

DH and I do not use condoms (he has had a vasectomy), we've had anal several times before and never had this problem, we do not ever go from anal to vaginal sex.

I'm trying to figure out if this could be a yeast infection, or something else. I haven't asked DH if he has any "itchy" penile feelings....he's at work and that's not the kind of thing I'm going to ask over the phone.

What do you think? Should I call OBGYN and ask for a Diflucan Rx, assuming that it IS a yeast infection? What could it be if it's NOT a yeast infection?

Thanks for any advice!

It's really hard to tell what that could be. If you don't go from anal to vaginal, I'm assuming that you do go from vaginal to anal. You may have a slight yeast infection in your vagina, that, I assume, though I am not a medical professional, to your anus. You could've also slightly torn something up inside the anus, and not known it. Now it's healing. You know how some cuts itch really bad while healing? Same idea. I wouldn't get an Rx for something that *might be*, since, if it's not, all you'd be doing is building up an immunity to that medicine, making it harder for your body to use it to work to get rid of something the next time you have it.

If it was me, I'd wait a couple of days, getting something like Preperation H, to see if that gets rid of the itching. Hemroids itch like CRAZY!! You may have a slight case of those, and may not even be aware of it. Having kids, pushing too hard when having a bowel movement can cause hemroids. My best guess would say that you probably have them. Again, I'm not a doctor, so I can't say for sure. Try the hemroidal cream, before getting an Rx. Better still, consult your doctor first.

• Members

I agree with Tyger. My first thought in reading your post was that it sounded like to tore yourself and it's healing -- healing cuts itch!

We're not doctors and always urge people to call their doctors if they have questions about their bodies. However, it doesn't sound like anything that couldn't wait a couple days while you try to figure it out on your own with Tyger's suggestions, if you wish to.

Good luck and welcome to TooTimid!

• Members

Have you ever had a yeast infection before? Cause if you have, you will KNOW that you have one again.

The itch is between your rectum and your vagina? Is it more toward either one? Let me ask, do you shave your privates? If so, you may have cut yourself and it is healing. OR, as the others have said, it could be a small tear that is healing.

Either way, if it continues, seek professional advice from your doctor. You do not want something to be wrong that you need treatment for.

Have you ever had a yeast infection before? Cause if you have, you will KNOW that you have one again.

The itch is between your rectum and your vagina? Is it more toward either one? Let me ask, do you shave your privates? If so, you may have cut yourself and it is healing. OR, as the others have said, it could be a small tear that is healing.

Yes, I've had a vaginal yeast infection before, and this feels like the same kind of intense ITCH. That's why I thought that might be what it was. It is MORE in the rectum, a little less but still there between rectum and vagina. Vagina itself is not itchy at all. I did have hemmorhoids when I was pregnant (2 years ago) and have had some on-and-off bleeding issues with those, but not in a while (several months). I have some prescription cream from my OBGYN that has lidocaine and something else in it, I have been using that. Also, I do shave my privates, but as far as I know, I didn't cut myself, and this seems more of an "intense" kind of problem than that.

I'm going to see how it is tomorrow, (hopefully better) and then go from there. Thank you to all of those who replied.

• Members

To answer your original question, yes, there is such a thing as an anal yeast infection. Yeast likes a warm, moist environment, be it the vagina or the rectum. Yeast is present in the GI tract which, of course, includes the rectum. This "intense" itching that you are describing would tend to lean more towards yeast than a possible healing abrasion or tear. Keep in mind also that yeast likes the various "sugars" that can be found in some lubricants (these can be listed several different ways in ingredient listings on the product). Keep this in mind for the future and check your lubricant to see if you are using one that possibly contains this as it can certainly make a nice food source for the yeast. The most important thing you can do at this point is to talk with your doctor about the problem and go with his recommendations. Remember, this is absolutely nothing that they haven't heard in the past so don't let embarrasment keep you from discussing this with them! Good luck to you.