Official Community Forums Home

Playgirl Toy Cleaner

elizabeth

• Members

pdpg111main.jpg

You may not know it, but in my other life I'm a professional safer sex educator. It's how I make my living. Therefore, when I look at an item like the Playgirl Toy Cleaner, it really pisses me off. If you're going to sell an item as a toy cleaner it should be, at least, rated as bactericidal, if not viricidal. This stuff, which at the bottom of the container is noted as being "sold only as a novelty" is rated as neither. Spray it on, wipe down the toy, and you're not doing much other than give it a surface clean. Some of the ingredients have mild antibiotic properties, but it's not much better than dish soap. It's main benefits are that it's in a spray bottle and it might be slightly less irritating to your squishy bits if you don't get it all off. It's a decent quick fix, I suppose, and it doesn't smell awful, but if you plan on sharing your toys this product is not designed to disinfect them well enough for you to do so safely. You'd be just as well off using plain old soap and water.

Well, there! Can't ask for a more honest review than that.

• Members

Oh man - I better take that stuff off my wish list. Thanks for the honest review - I'm a total anti-bacterial toy person, even though I don't share... I just like clean toys!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

pdpg111main.jpg

OK, I am also a 'safe sex educator' - and always interested to know if the items I use to clean with (all over my house AND my toys) is really cleaning them. I decided to look up the ingredients in this toy cleaner to see what the deal is.

You may or may not know this, but when you look at ingredients on anything from food to cleaning supplies, the ingredients listed FIRST on the label have the highest concentration of that ingredient, and therefore the ones listed LAST have the least. WIth this being said, the first 8 items (exluding water which is the first) are foaming agents and preservatives. You know, those nice foaming soaps you get like 'soft soap' - well, these items make them foamy. The last item on the list, Diazolidinyl Urea, is also a preservative, but also is effective against bacteria, fungi and yeasts.

So, the down low is this: there IS an agent in this cleaner that is anti-bacterial - HOWEVER, as it is the last ingredient on the package, I highly doubt that the concentration is high enough to really protect against bacteria and clean your toys adequately. For this reason, I too would suggest this as a quick rinse - not a thorough cleansing. Perhaps just some added protection after you have used a true antibacterial agent to cleanse your toys. You can never be too careful when dealing with bodily fluids!

I second Elizabeth's assessment: use as a novelty or extra protection - do NOT use as your only method of cleansing!

If you Must