Official Community Forums Home

Any Of You Runners?

chloegirl

• Members

Question....is anyone here on the boards a runner? It's been a long and dreary winter and I'm bored to bloody tears doing the same old things day after day after putting in my hours in hell (I mean work). I need a new goal to shoot for and want to start training to run a 5K. Figure I might actually stick to it if I put it out there with someone who's been there. Any input?

• Members
Question....is anyone here on the boards a runner? It's been a long and dreary winter and I'm bored to bloody tears doing the same old things day after day after putting in my hours in hell (I mean work). I need a new goal to shoot for and want to start training to run a 5K. Figure I might actually stick to it if I put it out there with someone who's been there. Any input?

I haven't run in an organized event, but I run 4-5 days a week, between 3 and 6 kilometers depending on how I feel, and what other exercises I plan on doing. I have a new year's resolution to run in an 5K event this year. And maybe a 10K.

If you haven't done distance running before, I'd suggest starting off slow and alternating between running and walking for 2-3 miles. When I started I wasn't very fit (but I was pretty young at 21), and I wasn't able to even run a mile non-stop. Every few days try running non-stop and see how far you can get. It took me nearly 2 weeks to get up to running a mile non-stop at a moderate pace (10-11 min/mile). Once I was able to run a mile, I kept adding a minute to my duration every week.

I've read a number of breathing techniques and pacing methods, and the one I use is to breathe in through the nose, and exhale through the mouth. My pacing is an inhalation every 3 steps, and exhale over the following 2.

I'd suggest stretching before and after, and waiting at least 30 minutes after you eat before running, as well.

• Members

I used to be a runner :( until I had a horrible accident and broke my ankle as well as tore my meniscus and some other cartilage in my knee. :angry: I have horrible arthritis now and can never run again....and I surely miss it! I loved the 'high' that running gave me. Oh well...I am envious that you can run - enjoy it!

• Members

I WAS IN A 5K WALK/RUN EVENT WHEN I WAS IN HS. IT'S A GREAT WAY TO CLEAR YOUR MIND, RELIEVE YOUR STRESS, AND GIVE YOUR BODY EXERCISE WHICH CAN ALSO INCREASE YOUR SEX STAMINA. HERE ARE MY TIPS:

1. DRINK LOTS OF WATER IF YOU DON'T ALREADY START. A RUNNER NEEDS ABOUT 32- 64OZ A DAY TO STAY HEALTHY. AND IT WILL ALSO KEEP YOU FROM HAVING AN ONSET OF A CHARLIE HORSE. (WHICH IF YOU DO HAVE A CHARLIE HORSE THEN LIE FLAT AND POINT YOUR TOES TOWARD YOUR HEAD.)

2. SEE HOW FAR YOU CAN ACTUALLY RUN AND TIME YOURSELF WITH A STOP WATCH TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE NOW AND IN DOING SO YOU WILL KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO WORK ON.

3. WE HAVE TO CRAWL BEFORE WE WALK AND WALK BEFORE WE RUN. SO FOR STARTERS, TRY WALKING A MILE A DAY FOR A WEEK AND TIME YOURSELF. WHEN YOU REACH A COMFORTABLE LEVEL THEN ADD A MILE AND AGAIN, TIME YOURSELF.

4. ALWAYS KEEP WATER AT YOUR SIDE WHEN RUNNING. DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO OVERHEAT AS THIS CAN RESULT IN HEART ATTACK, STROKE, MUSCLE CRAMPS, HEAT EXHAUSTION (IN EXTREME TEMPERATURES EVEN A HEAT STROKE) ETC....

5. IF YOU SMOKE, STOP OR CUT BACK. YOU'LL NEED YOUR LUNGS IF YOU WANNA WIN.

6. BEFORE YOU WALK OR RUN ALWAYS PERFORM LEG STRETCHES! YOU KNOW, TOE TOUCHES, HAMSTRING STRETCHES, CALVE TONERS ARE ALSO GOOD STRETCHES.

7. ONCE YOU DO START RUNNING IN PREPARATION FOR A 5K, YOU'LL WANT TO MAINTAIN YOUR HEALTH AS WELL AS RECORDS OF YOUR TIMED RUNS TO KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ON THE DAY OF THE BIG RACE.

I LOVE TO RUN. MAYBE I'LL GET BACK INTO A 5K THIS YEAR. I WISH YOU THE BEST LUCK!

FROM ONE RUNNER TO ANOTHER:

BREAK A LEG! (THAT IS HOW WE SAY GOOD LUCK HERE....AS CRAZY AS IT SOUNDS.LOL)