Official Community Forums Home

A Small View Of What It's Like Being Blind

Sailor Girl

• Members

Hey everyone. Meg, along with others, have been curious as to what i use for reading a screen. I can type just fine, although I'm horrible about not reading before I send. so if I send a bad personal message, or you are talking to me via aim or the like, realize i'm not some four year old using Daddy's computer. Now for those who want to know what my computer sounds like, here's what to do. Somewhere on your computer is something called narrator, it's to help the visually impaired read the screen. in widows xp, it's under programs, accessories, and then utility manager. granted, the voice which you'll hear sounds like he wants to commit suicide, but if you listen to that for a minute, you'll understand that when I go to a website, read email, reply, that's basically what my computer sounds like though in a much better version. It should be, for nine hundred bucks, lol. I hope you all will find this interesting, and please, if you're curious about that, or anything, ask. The dumbest question is the one you don't ask. Thanks for reading,

Siobhan

• Members

Hey Sailor Girl. Wow that is amazing. No worries, A very close friend of mine is blind and he is cool. If you need someone to talk to I'm here. Yes you can even vent to me if you need to. Hope everything is well.

Kornholio

• Members

I hope you have a better one than MS Sam. Very robotic sounding and his pronunciation bites. I've got Vista on this PC and Sam is the only option they have here. The narrarator was already on when I bought this from an idiot. He tried to tell me that it was to set up the PC for voice control. Guess he thought I fell off that truck last night! If I remember correctly XP offered 3 different narrarators. The female one was probably the most understandable in my opinion.

• Members

Hey everyone, thanks for trying out my suggestion. To the person who has vista, I thought there was a female narrator as well. Yes, Sam does sound terrible, which is why when I go to Vista on the next laptop, I'll compose a suicide note and let him read it. Voice control pretty funny but not uncommon. I have aim, and also msn anyone feeling up for a brave chat, feel free to ad me just let me know where you got my name. I tend to not be polite to people i don't recognize, smile. If you read myother post, I'm a bit down in the dumps right now, so hopefully the new toy comes soon although i'd be lying if i didn't wish I could get on staff at wonderful To Timid. Talk soon.

• Members

Sailor Girl, thanks for showing us how you experience the computer. You're right, the stock voice synthesizer sucks pretty bad. My day job is a meteorologist, and the voice sounds like the first version of when we started using an automated voice for our NOAA weather radio broadcasts. We called it Igor, and it sounded like a drunk Dr. Stephen Hawking. One night on a boring midnight shift, we messed with Igor. Wanna try something hilarious? Have it read...

"Tis the season to be jolly. Fa la la la la la la la la."

SP

• Members

I'm curious - are you totally blind, or legally blind? I'm still trying to understand the difference lol.

• Members
Hey everyone, thanks for trying out my suggestion. To the person who has vista, I thought there was a female narrator as well. Yes, Sam does sound terrible, which is why when I go to Vista on the next laptop, I'll compose a suicide note and let him read it. Voice control pretty funny but not uncommon. I have aim, and also msn anyone feeling up for a brave chat, feel free to ad me just let me know where you got my name. I tend to not be polite to people i don't recognize, smile. If you read myother post, I'm a bit down in the dumps right now, so hopefully the new toy comes soon although i'd be lying if i didn't wish I could get on staff at wonderful To Timid. Talk soon.

First let me introduce myself. I'm pappyld04. The one with the Windows Vista. I got rid of Sam and found Microsoft Anna. Apparently the former owner had transferred the MS Sam to this Hard drive. You were right about the voice control thing. It is funny and also not unheard of. I just knew that he had not spent the extra money for that software. I'm a bit concerned about your testing of the narrarator though. I hope you get your new toy soon and get over that mood!

• Members

Pappled, sorry if I got your name wrong. You're concerned about testing narrator? I'm sorry I don't follow that. What I mean is, Because sam sounds horrible, when I get Vista, i'll have a suicide note written up, from sam's point of view. oh god, I'm sorry everyone I didn't want you to think I'd kill myself. No I was going to have sam say something like: "I don't know why they got rid of me, I'm a good voice. Really, I am..." Sorry to make yu or anyone else worry. My moo'd improved. for the person who wanted to know the difference between legally blind and totally here it is. If you're legally blind what someone can see at twenty feet, you might see at two hundred. You have some degree of vision whereas I have none except to tell when a light's on or off. I forgot to check this topic, feel free to talk to me whenever you want. I'll put mynew aol name in, so you can find me and i'll update my profile. bumpycats is the name, it's for my two cats who love sitting on my braille books. Hope i answered some questions.

• Members

Pappled, sorry if I got your name wrong. You're concerned about testing narrator? I'm sorry I don't follow that. What I mean is, Because sam sounds horrible, when I get Vista, i'll have a suicide note written up, from sam's point of view. oh god, I'm sorry everyone I didn't want you to think I'd kill myself. No I was going to have sam say something like: "I don't know why they got rid of me, I'm a good voice. Really, I am..." Sorry to make yu or anyone else worry. My moo'd improved. for the person who wanted to know the difference between legally blind and totally here it is. If you're legally blind what someone can see at twenty feet, you might see at two hundred. You have some degree of vision whereas I have none except to tell when a light's on or off. I forgot to check this topic, feel free to talk to me whenever you want. I'll put mynew aol name in, so you can find me and i'll update my profile. bumpycats is the name, it's for my two cats who love sitting on my braille books. Hope i answered some questions.

• Members

Sailor Girl, if you will bear with me a bit I will try to figure out how to put my username there for you to read. Let me try this one - pappy L D 0 4 - I don't have space between them but in this case it may make it where you can get a better understanding of it. Sorry if that sounds condescending. Larry or pappy will also suffice. You were pretty close in your first attempt though! I didn't realize that you were attempting to kill Sam, I had taken that to be something more. Sorry!

• Members

Hi sailorgirl My Grandmother was blind. She raised five kids and did all of her own cooking on a woodfired cookstove.

She taught herself to type, she caned chairs and lots of other stuff.

I am never surprised by what any blind or otherwise challenged person does.

They just refuse to give in to any limitations.

The world is yours for the taking.

• Members

Hey Kat, and others. I'm glad I was able to teach you something, feel free to ask anything. If you or anyone has aim my name is now changed, I updated the profile. This site's wonderful, I can't wait to submit my review, and find some new avenues to discover. If anyone has any question don't hesitate to ask, even if you think it's stupid or might offend me. The only offensive thing is, if someonethinks i'm disabled or handicapped. I mean ok I might be different, but so is a man. I'll talk to all soon,