Official Community Forums Home

Allergies

• Members

Hi, All,

My real name is Kaylene, but my nickname is Kiki, which is pretty much what I go by.

My hubby and I are pretty new to sex toys. We've just been buying a few of them over the last couple years and trying them out. However, I am having a problem. I have several allergies, including a contact sensitivity to Latex. I have now tried the Insatiable Rose and Lilac Lover Dual Action(just got that one). I had to return the I. R. and it looks like I'll have to return the LL, too. Upon using them, I experience intense burning. I thought I just had bad luck with the IR, but now it happened with the LL, too. I thought maybe it was the lube I used, as it wasn't the usual Too Timid Lube(awesome stuff, BTW). So, I went and re-washed the LL using my Feminine Wash for sensitive skin and thoroughly washed it, rinsed it and dried it well(the toys were washed with different soaps, so that wasn't the issue). Then, I lubed it up with TTL, and tried it again. The burning got worse, then I started with my chest getting tight and my lips(ones on my face :P) swelled up, too. That ended that session mighty quick.

I guess I am wondering how to tell exactly what it is I'm reacting to, and what toys would be safe for me to use without having to pick a toy out, buy it, try it out, then OOPS!, can't use that one, send it back and try for another. Especially as that is a waste for the company, too, as they have to throw the used toy away. I have tried 2 dual action rabbits without allergy issues, but I don't know exactly what they were made out of. It seemed to be a plastic/jelly type of material. The IR was DEFINITELY a jelly material, and the LL seemed to be a rubbery jelly type material. Does anyone know what might be a safe material for me to look for in a toy? My preference is dual-action with separate controls. I have Cushing's Disease, and due to the weight gain(all in the belly) from that, my stomach has gotten too fat for me to easily reach down and adjust controls attached to toy, and it's nice for hubby to be able to use the controls, too, when I let him...Lol.

Thanks for any help you all might be able to give me.

• Members

It certainly sounds to me like you have moved from a contact sensitivity to a full-blown allergy. I would carefully check the material the toys are made from. If you aren't sure, I would call the 800 number and let Meg help you. She seems to know the answer to EVERYTHING!!!!! Good luck.

• Members

Thank you, ToyQueen. I wasn't sure who I should talk to about the allergies and what the toys are made of, so thanks for the name. I'll give Meg a call. If I have gone to a full-blown(anaphylactic) Latex allergy, that would really, really SUCK!! I already have anaphylactic allergies to 3 other substances, I don't need any more. I am very careful with latex, though, as I know it wouldn't take much to push me into the full-blown allergy category, as I seem to be sensitive to a lot of things, as well as have multiple environmental plus some food allergies. But, it would be nice to find a toy here or there that I could use safely. I also need to make sure it's not something else that the manufacturer might put on the toy or in the packaging that I could be reacting to, as well. Thanks again for your suggestion to call Meg. Hopefully, she will have the answer and be able to point me in the right direction.

If you are allergic to latex, then most rubber toys, and jelly toys, even cyberskin (they have talc on them, which you also may be allergic too), you will need to stay away from.

I would suggest silicone or glass toys. All of which may be a bit more on the pricey side, but not by much, and they have shapes out there that I KNOW you will like!

• Members

definitely try the glass, they do also have pastic toys which I'm not a fan of but maybe you could use a condom? One of those for people with allergies, if it was just a contact thing then I'd say try it with your toys now but I don't think i'd risk and allergy attack.

• Members

what you might consider is using condoms on your vibes. Get latex free or sheepskin ones for your toys. If you have dual actions and can tolerate vinyl, try using a glove (with a lube that doesn't irritate you) with the index finger over the shaft and the thumb over the "beaver". A little medical tape or a hair elastic would help to hold it in place. If you can find condoms or gloves that you aren't sensitive/allergic to that you can fit over your toys, you shouldn't have much of a limit to what you use.

And try glass and ask Meg as other people have said.

(from the standpoint of an EMT, Nitrile gloves from a medical supply company are hypoallergenic, no powder, and come in fun colors so you won't have to sacrifice the color of your toy! Also, go to your doctor, because the tightness of the chest and the swelling of the face means you are definitely developing a strong allergic reaction. You might want to talk to your doctor about getting an epi pen if it gets much worse.)

• Members

Thank you all for your great responses. I do believe I am going to try some silicone toys. Yes, I can use condoms, or like someone suggested, the nitrile gloves. I even keep those around the house to do housecleaning. Thanks also for mentioning about the TALC. I can bet that is what I'm reacting to, as I don't react to all plastic/rubbery type toys, just those 2 so far. I know I have had issues with talc(they put it in surgical gloves) since back when I practiced clinical nursing. My hands would itch and burn like crazy if I wore those things, and the hospitals didn't always want to pay for powder-free gloves, as at the time they were more expensive and there was less demand than in today's age with all of the latex allergies, etc. Hmmmmm...another interesting tidbit, and one which I wanted to explore...both toys that I reacted to were from California Exotic Novelties. I wonder if they put something on their toys, or have something on their equipment that I am already allergic to, and I'm just reacting to that(such as potato starch(I have anaphylactic reactions to Potatoes), which can be used as a talc type substance to get rid of stickiness. I may try some silicone and even other plastic-type toys, as like I said, I've only reacted to ones from that company, and try using a condom or glove with them. Thank you all SO MUCH for taking the time to respond to me and make suggestions. I really appreciate it, and I will certainly give them consideration.

Kiki B.

P.S. Yes, I can use Naturalamb or Trojan Polyurethane(?) condoms. It will seem a bit weird buying condoms since I've had a Hysterectomy...Lol.

• Members

P.S. I've had a couple of the rabbit vibes, the Ultimate Rabbit Vibe(?) and another one(can't remember the name of it), and I had ABSOLUTELY NO problems with them, except for the battery compartment shattering on the hand controls of one of them, and then the motor burning out on the other one for the rotation part. Of course, I didn't realize that I could return them, so I threw them out. Duh! Not smart! They hadn't been used much and they both broke w/in about 3-6 mos. of me getting them. Live and learn!! And, for the new ones to this site, learn from me...READ THERE RETURN POLICY!! Lol.

Oh, hard plastic toys may work for you too.....I forgot to add that.

• Members
If you are allergic to latex, then most rubber toys, and jelly toys, even cyberskin (they have talc on them, which you also may be allergic too), you will need to stay away from.

I would suggest silicone or glass toys. All of which may be a bit more on the pricey side, but not by much, and they have shapes out there that I KNOW you will like!

Well, you'd think I would have figured that out!! I wandered why i was sore after using my jelly rabbit vibe but not my bullet vibe. I thought i was just using it too much ;) but i have a latex allergy. I didn't make the connection between the jelly and cyberskin, either. Anyone want a one-time-used cyberskin dildo?