Official Community Forums Home

A Break? Can I A Catch A Break? Please?

Tyger

OK, so, on the way to pick up DD at school, I have to go get gas. I go to the same gas station, right down the road from her school, about 90% of the time for gas, treats, and so on. They're usually at least 5 cents cheaper than most stations around too. I've been going there for almost 4 yrs now. Habit, what can I say? I can say I am a dumbass.

Now, I gave myself an extra 10 minutes to do this, thank goodness!! I had maybe about 2 gallons left in the car, so I definitely needed gas soon. I noticed that they were doing stuff to the pumps, and that there were signs on the pumps saying "OUT", so I was about to drive off, when the owner/manager waved at me, and pointed to the pump, nodding. So, yay! I can get gas!

Well, I fill 'er up, paying with my debit card, and turn the key to go.....and nothing. It wanted to start, but, sounded/felt like it was choked. Oh shit. Hubby's at work this week, and now my vehicle is dead, and I gotta go get my DD.

So, first, I call my FIL to go get DD, and then I get out of my car, ask the owner if there's water in the tanks (since this has happened at this station, but only after Hurricane Ike, which was understandable.), they said no, that there were guys there putting new filters in the tanks, and they had just had a gas delivery. Ok, shit, they JUST changed the filters, and that means that stuff's been stirred up???? :huh: OK, so I told the guy "well, I dunno what to tell you, cuz my car was running like a dream before I filled up here, and now it won't even start up, so there is something totally wrong with the fuel". They had workers (independant contractors) working on the filters/tanks, and THOSE workers ASSURED all of us that there was no way there was water in those tanks. I told him that I wasn't trying to call him a liar, but, I had a hard time believing him. He tried saying that it was a bad mixture, but the more I thought about it, it didn't make any sense. If there was a bad mix, the car may have run differently, or burned the fuel faster, but in no way would it prevent my car from starting. Apparantly, since I have tits and a twat, this makes me a twit about cars! :P

Well, ok, so I go in and buy dry gas, which is called "water treatment" down here. Put it in, wait 15 min. and nothing. While waiting, I look up, and notice 3 other sets of people standing around, with baffled looks on their faces. So, I get out, with my notebook I always have in my purse, and ask them what's going on. Same thing, they put gas in, and then they can't start their vehicles either. One car made it about 50 feet down the road before dying on them. I was the only local person there, and was able to direct them to the dealerships closest to where we are, which, coincidently, was the same dealership (they sell 5 different Makes of vehicles!). I got all their names and numbers, then copied it all down for them, so they could have all the info....just in case there was a problem.

While writing all this stuff down for the others, FIL comes back with my DD, and I'm writing, he comes up and asks, "So, what's going on?" Which made me cry for some STUPID reason. I hate crying. He's like, well, there's no reason to get all upset about this right now". :huh: I told him that that was probably the PERFECT time to get upset, I was sorta in private, hubby's gone for the week, and this is my only mode of transportation. When else could I get upset? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hand out all the papers, and talk with the people for a few min. FIL has to go get his wife, so DD stays with me for a bit, and I go in and ask the owner to please inform me as to what was going on. He told me that his store would cover all the damage caused by the bad gas, and to call a wrecker, and he'd take care of it. Before I could say it, one of the other gentlemen piped up and asked for that in writing, so, the owner wrote it down, signed & dated it too. I felt a bit better with that.

Being overly-nice, I called my car insurance company (I LOVE GEICO), I have the towing coverage. I couldn't get my car towed to the Subaru dealership, since that was over an hour away, and I wouldn't make it there in time to get the paperwork done, and get a rental from them (cuz by gawd, they're going to pay for my damn rental!). So, my car insurace will take care of the tow at least. I know, I am too nice. But I didn't want some joe-blow company towing the car.

I called the same dealership that I directed everyone else too, I'd had my car's oil changed there a few times, and my DH has a truck of the make that they sell, so I called them to see if they could fix my Subaru. They can! The man was very helpful and kind, and was very accomodating. They have a guy that specializes in imports. GREAT!!

Tow truck comes (flatbed, since my car is AWD, I insisted). The dealership is mass-billing, so they reserved me a vehicle from Enterprise, and had a courtesy van pick me up to take me there. I'm now driving a Jeep Patriot for now, and feel a bit better, since I won't have any out-of-pocket expenses.

I'm going back to the gas station tomorrow, and asking for a refund on the gas too.

• Members

I'm the same way Tyger. I want to get mad and cream and bash skulls in and it always comes out "please" and "thank you." The good thing is that they are paying to fix your car (and everyone else's), and I'm very sure they will refund the gas. As some who works at a gas station, I know for a fact that we shut down the pumps for a long time to let stuff settle.

Good luck babe, come to NY we know how to treat a lady!

• Members

"If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"! Sorry I thought you might need a good laugh with all this shit!

• Members

Hey, Tyger, Sorry you had such a rotton day. I am glad that your FIL was there to help out,

and it sounds as tho everything is going to be ok. I hope the gas station follows through and

takes care of everything like they said. What a headache.

How long do you have to wait to get your car back?

And yes, it is alright to cry. Sometimes I cry when I am frustrated to my limit.

Well, I went to the gas station this morning to get a refund, and they did that happily. The girl at the counter had NO clue what was going on, so I filled her in, and she told me that it was their own damn fault cuz they knew that pump wasn't working correctly to begin with!! :o

I went to the garage that I had the car towed too, (again, it's an American made dealership....Chevy, Pontiac, GMC, Dodge, Jeep, Chrystler) and they said that it was, indeed, water in the fuel. I told them that the station had these men working on the filters, had assured us that it wasn't water, and I was severely pissed off that they blatantly lied to all of us directly (the workers, not the station). The man at the station that owned/managed it asked me to let him know what it is, cuz the workers that were working on the tank were telling him the same thing!

The garage is saving the fuel to prove to the station that it was water in their fuel too. I asked for one as well, just in case.

My whole fuel system needs a full flushing, filters changed, and maybe even a new fuel pump! :huh: So, I told them that whatever they needed to do, and legitamitely bill them for it, go for it.

Go back to the station, and tell the lady at the counter what I'd found out, and I was irritated. She asked me to keep my voice down, which I did lower my voice (I'm too nice). She had a customer at the counter, who had been leaving when I had started talking to her, but came back, and asked me if I'd gotten the gas there, and I nodded. She was a bit irritated that that man had asked that, and I answered him, but oh fuckin' well. I did NOTHING wrong here, and I wasn't about to lie about it. Then she was worried cuz she'd been selling SUPER all day, and I told her that if nobody came back by now, then the SUPER tank was probably ok. She seemed a bit relieved, but I told her that I wasn't a professional gas person, so I wouldn't know, but what happened to us, was immediate.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after a week long "stress test" on behalf of the bullshit, I finally heard a good word! I've been playing phone tag with agencies, underwriters, middlemen, and all that crap. I heard from the underwriting policy holder and they've agreed to accept responsibility for this whole mess, and pay out claims. Well, now I'm waiting on the stupid "release form", via e-mail, to have signed infront of a notary, get sent to them (gonna overnight it), and then probably had to wait 2 more fuckin' weeks!! Ugh! They can't "approve" another round of car rental.....which kinda makes me mad, cuz I can't NOT have a vehicle. Any ideas on how to go about that? We can pay for one for a few days, but I don't know if I should get the insurance agency's direct number, explain the situation, and see what they WILL approve, since they're stating that since my car is READY now, it's not THEIR problem that I don't have the $$ to get it. Or if I should call the guy that wrote the "we are responsible for all expenses due to the bad gas issue" at their station.

• Members

Tell them if they don't release the money for your car, they are GOING to contiue the rental.

They can do it your way, or your lawyers way. Your way would be a lot cheaper, if they are thinking at all. (That seems to be debateable) <_<

I would have been on the phone with the insurance company way before now, so you are being nice, IMHO.

Be nice, but be firm and insistent. Go into the conversation with a 'This is what I expect' attitude, not 'What can you do for me'.

Wouldn't hurt to call the guy who wrote the note, too. cuz he may end up paying for the rental,

but one way or another, insist they either release the money for your car, or you keep the rental.

Why do they have to make things so hard? Don't ya think they should be able to figure this out without help??

YIKES!! Sometimes people who are supposed to be 'smart' scare me, they are so dense.

Common sense seems to be in short supply here...................

I think my biggest boo-boo was turning in the first rental last week. I'm going to see if the shop will release my car to me, after I get the release form from the insurance company. As soon as I get the form, I'm going to call the guy that owns the store.

Trust me, I've been making a barrage of calls! LOL I've called Valero, which the station has signs of, called the insurance agency, waited for a claim number, then had to wait for the insurance adjuster to get back from Port Arthur assessing Ike damage. Everyone I talk too, I'm direct, to the point, and "almost" rude. I make my point, and let them know I am NOT going to just go easy does it. This is very very hard for me to do. LOL

The hurricane aftermath is what's really slowing a lot of this down, IMO. The hurricane is the ONLY reason I've been as "nice" as I've been, however, I've been sick with a headache and not eating well at all. When I eat, my stomach gets upset. I know I've been an uber bitch too. *sigh*

• Members

Sounds like you are doing everything right, Tyger.

Don't forget to be good to yourself, too, ok? :P

Thanks darlin'. I spoiled myself 2 nights ago and took my time and did my nails. That always seems to make a lot of things better. :) I have a tendancy to keep things bottled up inside, as I try and deal with them internally, ya know? If I constantly dwell or bitch about it, the more stressed I'll get, and that won't help anyone.

Warning: Aggressive bitchiness to ensue!!

Well, I got downright pissed, irritated, and uber frustrated enough yesterday to really kick it into higher gear! Upon the recommendation from my step-father, I called my car insurance company....GEICO ROX BTW!!! :kiss: Time to call in the ones with the BIG balls!!!!!

I told them everything I've been going thru, how frustrated I am, and it's almost been 3 wks now. And that, it's not MY fault, so WHY in the hell am I being made to suffer, especially since I've been trying to remain nice, yet firm. I told them of how the other company's insurance company said that they'd pay for the damages, but, for some reason, I'd hafta sign a form, have it notarized, and mail it back to their office, BEFORE a check was issued!! WTF????? I asked what the form was for (thru the offender's insurance co.) and they told me it was a liability release form, and that, after they got that, it could take 2 more fuckin' weeks before I get a check. :blink: UNACCEPTABLE!!!! Usually, in claim cases, the CHECK IS the liability release form!!! Cashing it means that you won't go after any more money thru them.

I mean, this is a cut & dry case. Nobody was being mean, stupid, or careless, they had a bad delivery of gas, accepted responsibility, so WHY in the hell should I hafta wait, rely on others, and beg for rides???? :angry:

I asked if I submitted a claim thru them, my insurance company, would our rates go up. I got profusly reassured that since this wasn't my fault, then no, my rates wouldn't be affected at all. WOOT!!!

So, I submitted the claim-YESTERDAY AFTERNOON!!!! They were soooo nice, sympathetic, and told me that I was being a lot nicer than they, as an individual would be. They asked to get the info I had, which I e-mailed to them, and they got, no problem. They had even turned it over to the adjuster within a couple of hours of getting it!!!!!

They have paid the garage all but the deductable, TODAY!!! I'm waiting for my FIL to come to pick me up so I can pawn a few things until I get reimbursed for my out-of-pocket expenses, to get my car out. I have to come up with $660! <_< Which is my deductable and part of the car rental that my insurance won't cover (only $25 per day, and my rental was like $35 per day).

Why in the hell did it take GEICO less than 24 hours to do all this, and this other insurance company's taken 2 weeks so far to deal with this??? Yeah, now Momma's got the BIG GUNS out....go ahead pissy little insurance company....mess with my GEICO!!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!! B)

• Members

Did you know that Geico is so easy even a caveman can do it! LOL :lol:

geico_l.jpg

Well, the person GEICO spoke with at the dealership lead them wrong. I was unable to get my car out today. But, I did pay the $660, so that part's done, and I don't hafta stress about loosing or spending the $$. The dealership bodyshop isn't allowed to release the car til the check is IN HAND, even though GEICO even told them that they'd FAX over proof of the check that they sent. A rep from the shop had told my insurance co. that if I paid the deductable off, I could pick it up today. Nope, no-can-do. GEICO got me a free rental for 2 days, so at least tomorrow, I can go to my DD's school and enjoy their little pumpkin carving activity, and take her to karate at least once this week.

I'm so frustrated. I haven't been eating or sleeping well, I've had almost a constant headache, haven't eaten much, felt more and more withdrawn, and am growing more and more doubtful of people's ability to get stories straight and keep their word. Down south, a person's word is as good as a contract written in stone, and most people pride themselves of that....except when it comes to cars apparently!

I got soooo frustrated and felt like the world was pushing down on me. I wanted to scream or punch a wall. Stupid female emotions made me bawl, so I had to go into a small room to be alone for a bit. I usually try and find the positives in stuff, even with Hurricane Ike! But this is just getting to me. On top of the hurricane, now this? PULEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!

I know it sounds a bit dramatic, but I'm just not understanding why I am being made to suffer when I did NOTHING wrong. I live waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the country. It's not like I can easily walk into town to go get groceries. I'm a super-independant person. I HATE relying on others to help me out like that. I hate calling people asking for a ride. I tried giving FIL some gas $$ today, and he refused it. Gimme a little pride back, at least!

Although, he did call me after we got home to make sure I was ok, and told me he wasn't poking fun at me when he told me to not cry and that it wouldn't solve anything. And that he understood how emotions and being over-tired and stressed can affect people. I was shocked! This hard-ass man was trying to comfort me? Wow.

I'm just tired of the BS. Thanks for letting me rant.

And, yes, I would recommend GEICO to anyone!! They've been super nice, helpful, supportive, informative, and honest!!! GREAT company to get insured thru!!!

I GOT MY CAR/INDEPENDANCE BACK YESTERDAY!!

Yesterday, while in town driving the rental that GEICO approved, trying to get as many errands as possible done, so as not to have to ask for rides, or run outta stuff......and, at 3:50, BOUNDS called me and told me I could come get my car. I told the guy that I was appreciative of that, however, they were adament yesterday, in telling me that I couldn't get the car until the check was in hand, and now I can?? Forgive me if I no longer trust anyone's word here, but what was the change? They said that GEICO had called and spoken with the owner. I have a feeling they reamed HIM out too.

So, I turned in my rental, had ENTERPRISE (which I would recommend to anyone) drive me over there, unloaded that car into my car and DROVE OFF!!

My beautifully dusty "cuck" took DD to karate, then us back home, and has run a few errands for us today as well!!!

I'm going to clean it tomorrow. I was going too today, but after walking the neighborhood last night, for trick or treating (I'll post another topic on that), I am super-tired, sore, and realize how outta shape I really am!!! Plus, there are some dark clouds, and we all know that when Tyger washes her car, it rains within 24 hours!

• 2 months later...

So, to update.....

I got my reimbursement check for my deductable on Monday, yes, that's right this last MONDAY!! FINALLY. $500 back to me. However, I have to submit a request to get reimbursed for the $110 for the rental part I had out of pocket that my car insurance didn't cover. <_< So, there'll be MORE waiting. If the insurance company denies it, I will have to contact the store about it, and get reimbursed from them directly, or, I will take his ass to court. This is ridiculous!

The car's running really well, and I'm getting great gas mileage.

I go to that store just for soda and snacks. NO GAS!! In fact, I won't get gas at any of the Valero stations around the area, cuz, I was told by a Valero rep., that it's the same fuel distributor for the entire area. No thanks!!! LOL

Final Thought:

The other $110, I found out, was overcharged by the dealership that fixed my "cuck". They admitted to it, once I dove in, and was trying to get reimbursed for it thru the At Fault Insurance company.

I got the check today, and now, it is all taken care of. It only took, what? Almost 4 freakin' months!!!