Official Community Forums Home

Stuff In The Middle Of The Road

Tyger

Ok, this has been bugging me for a few days now. It was either Tuesday or Wednesday, while driving down our main road, to go get my daughter from school, I go over a big hill, and down a little bridge over the creek. While cresting the hill, this large, white pickup truck (who's driver was probably about my age 30-40-ish), and he flashed his lights at me in a warning.

So, I slow down. Near the front of the bridge was this "one-seater" outhouse sized shed. Made of sheet/roofing metal and wood, right in the dead center of the road.

A small black car barely got around it, and the driver of that car was an elderly man, so I don't blame him for not stopping.

However, I pull over (with my bad back, and hurt foot), put my hazards on, and push the thing out of the middle of the road, and onto the grass. When I got to it, I was thinking "How am *I* gonna move it?" I shoved it a bit, and noticed it slid easily. Hmmm so I shove it, and had to flip it cuz it got caught on the road. It was only 3 sided, and apparently had had the thick nylon tether snap off the back of someone's truck/trailer.

I even got the huge slivers of wood out of the road and off to the side of the shoulder, so it wouldn't pop any tires.

VERY easy to move here! I get back in my car, start pulling out, and look up, here come 2 18-wheelers with loads of some sort of liquid in them (cylinder type trailers), the other way, and behind me, here comes another 18-wheeler. There would've been NO WAY that those trucks could've avoided that shack, and NO way that something bad wouldn't have happened, whether they tried avoiding it, and possibly rolling over, or smashing into it, and possibly causing damage to their trucks, hurting themselves, or crashing into the trees. There's a small farm there, and a creek!!! The results could've been disasterous!!!!

I'm not looking for praise or anything, however, if you see something in the middle of the road, that can cause an accident, and are able to do so, pull over safely, and either call the Sheriff, or move the darn thing yourself. You never know, the life you could save could be your own or a family member's!!!

• Members

Hey we Yankees are no princesses eh! Good for you, you go girl!

• Members

I'd have to admit, I'd sooner wait for the on coming cars to pass rather than get out of my car to push a barrel off the road....... You're one hell of a women Tyger.

Oh, no worries, I made sure that it was safe before I pushed it out of the way. Nothing came while I was doing that, so it wasn't a big deal, just that the dude in the truck didn't get out and do it himself. At least he warned me, I guess.

• Members
Oh, no worries, I made sure that it was safe before I pushed it out of the way. Nothing came while I was doing that, so it wasn't a big deal, just that the dude in the truck didn't get out and do it himself. At least he warned me, I guess.

Well maybe he couldn't stop, late for work, working, who knows. But your right, and you did teh right thing! WOOHOOO!!! Now where did i put those gold stars... ;) You really are awesome, and I felt good for donatinga buck to salvation army, haha.

• Members

Your a good woman, Tyger.

Something bad would have happened if you hadn't been there.

Congrats for being smart and doing what needed to be done.

Big pat on the back for you!!

• Members

So, if you see stuff in the middle of a highway, is that worthy of a call to 911, or is it better to use a non-emergency state police phone number? (Some place with high speed traffic where it is just plain not safe to stop and do it yourself)

In heavy-but-still-65-mph rush-hour traffic driving north on the Throughway out of Albany, NY, one cold, dark winter night many moons ago, I passed a sofa on the white-dashed line. On the shoulder was a frantic-looking couple next to their vehicle. (No cell phones back in those days for to call the police.) Now to this day whenever I change lanes (especially near trucks and such where it's difficult to see around them), I check for traffic, and I check for sofas.

A couple of years ago on an Arizona highway (75-mph speed limit) I zipped past a big living room chair sitting in the left lane. It would not have been safe to stop to move it; I hesitated about what to do, and ended up doing nothing. But I wonder, should I have called 911 for something like that? Or maybe I should start carrying around state police phone numbers for whatever states I'm driving through.