Official Community Forums Home

Have You Ever Encountered A "bridezilla"?

If so, who, what, where, when, and how did you deal with it?

Guest eminatic

EVERY FREAKING DAY. at work.

i work at a JoAnn (fabric/craft store), so people frequently want 100+ yards of tulle/dress fabric/ribbons/etc.

heres the thing, NO fabric store carries THAT MUCH fabric ON HAND at any given time. ever. there are 3 JoAnn stores in the state, and ALL THREE put together will not have that much. do you know how much fabric comes on a brand new bolt? 8 yards. eight. we carry at MAXIMUM 3 bolts due to limited shelf space, but more commonly there is only one or two bolts of identical fabric.

so people getting married get irate over this crazy logic that YOU HAVE TO PLAN FOR A WEDDING. you need several hundred yards? YOU NEED TO ORDER IT IN ADVANCE. no, i cannot make more appear by tomorrow, it takes a few weeks for it to get here. yelling at me will not make more appear. continuing to repeat how important it is will not make more appear. repeating how many people will be attending will not make more appear. being a bitch will actually make me LESS likely to pull any strings for you.

i don't understand why on earth anyone would wait to buy all the fabric for their wedding decorations/dresses the day before their wedding?! all i can do is tell them what their options are, but getting the fabric there by the next day will absolutely not be an option.

god, why can't people be less stupid?

• Members

I work in the wedding industry. You're damn straight I've seen them. The majority are fine but every once in awhile we get a woman wanting everything to be picture perfect. It can be quite exhausting.

• Members

I bet all of us women who are married were a bridezilla in some way while planning our wedding. I know I was stressed to the MAX! I am sure my maid of honor could attest to it!

• Members
If so, who, what, where, when, and how did you deal with it?

Yes, my youngest son's wife.... She was a total bitch before and during the wedding. Amazingly, 2 1/2 years later and she's still a bitch!!! I have no idea how my son puts up with her but it's his life and I can't make those decisions for him.

Man

The closest I've ever come to a "Bridezilla" was about 12 yrs ago or so. I was with my ex husband (we weren't married yet) at the time, and struggling to make ends meet.

His best friend asked his GF to marry him, and asked my BF to be his Best Man. His GF, whom I barely knew, asked me to be her Maid Of Honor. I asked her if she was sure, since she didn't know me that well, and I would totally understand if she had someone else in mind and was in NO WAY obligated to have me in her wedding. She was sure.

So, things got really tight about 6 mos before the wedding. During this time, I went to all her dress shops, helped watch HER son, took her to places, did research with her, listened to her bitch, moan, and complain about everything under the sun. Even got a really good deal with an acquaintence to photograph their wedding (saving them about $600). She hadn't given me the requested list of friends for a bridal shower or batchelorett party either. I drove her around 4 cities/towns, with no requests for gas, at a moment's notice, only having to cancel on her once due to a family issue, but she'd cancel on me within minutes of me due to be at her house!

During this time, I kept asking her to let me know what kind/color/style of dress to get fitted for. Never a word on anything but "it has to be blue". Oye!!! So, when it was about 5 mos before the wedding, I finally had to tell her that money was sooo tight, and time was growing short that I could only afford about $100 for a dress, did it HAVE to be new? You can get some GREAT dresses at Salvation Army/Goodwill/thrift stores that have only been worn once. I was also 5'10", a size 6, with a 36C chest, I would probably need some alterations. No she insisted that it be new. I told her that, since I was paying for it, even though bridal etiquette states otherwise (bride's family is suppose to pay for the dresses), I had a set limit, couldn't go over, and that putting heating oil in my tank was more a priority, and if she had an issue with that, I would totally understand if she wanted me to step down, and I would do so voluntarily. She said she was fine with all that, and there was no need to step down.

2 WEEKS later, she calls me and INSISTS that I step down (after me talking with her EVERY DAY), cuz I can't afford her wedding. She said her soon-to-be-mother-in-law said that I was being "unreasonable" and difficult. I was in shock, but said "whatever". My BF's best friend called me and apologized, stating he had NO clue that she was going to do that. I told him that I didn't blame him, but not to blame me if I wasn't super-enthusiastic, or going to help her anymore. And I wouldn't do it if she called me and told me she'd reconsidered. He said he didn't blame me a bit.

I went to the wedding, had to suck up and put on a brave, yet courteous face. Swallowed my pride when my BF danced with the bridesmaid, who had a crush on him anyway. We got them a decent gift (I used the dress money for that, and then put some aside for gas to kinda reimburse myself! LMAO) Oh, and the Bridesmaid's dress turned out to be BRIGHT PINK AND from Goodwill. :lol: Her SIL was her bridesmaid, and couldn't pay for the dress at all, and the BF (brother of the bridesmaid too), their mother had to pay for the dress!!!! :rolleyes: