Official Community Forums Home

Can Diabetes Doom Your Sex Life?

ladylove

• Members

Diabetes is an all-too-common health condition with serious consequences, but did you know that it can also affect sexual response? This endocrine disorder leaves too much glucose in the blood, which over time can damage blood vessels throughout the body. It's this particular aspect of diabetes that can have an effect on your sex life because blood flow is an important part of enjoyable sex.

For men, diabetic neuropathy — caused by damage to the nervous system over time — can make it difficult to achieve and maintain an erection. For women the result is often vaginal dryness or a decrease in genital sensation; they may also experience pain during sex or difficulty reaching orgasm. In addition, diabetes can make yeast and urinary tract infections more likely, since high glucose levels can assist in the growth of bacteria in the vagina and urethra. High blood glucose can sap your energy, too, causing fatigue and a lowered interest in sex.

For all of these reasons, maintaining appropriate blood sugar levels over the long-term is essential. Monitor how glucose levels change across your monthly menstrual cycle. Taking more insulin when glucose levels are higher may help reduce the likelihood of a yeast or urinary tract infection and give your energy a boost, sexually and otherwise.

You may also want to try using a lubricant to combat vaginal dryness and incorporating a vibrator into sex with your partner to help overcome any nerve damage that might be affecting sexual function. And, as always, if you continue to experience sexual or other medical problems, promptly pay a visit to your doctor.

• Members

I also have an insulin resistance problem similar to type 2 diabetes. It DOES affect your sex drive because your body makes more insulin than usual which affects your hormone levels. Weight gain can also affect you because it is a vicious cycle, the more weight gain the more insulin resistance hence the more your hormones are messed up. I had gained a lot of weight about 8-10 years ago. It affected me a lot! Since then I lost weight doing low carb dieting and am back on track. I have to watch my carbs still but it really helps me a TON! I feel better about myself and my drive kicked back in... as some of you may have noticed... ;)

• Review Team
... my drive kicked back in... as some of you may have noticed... ;)

Oh really? Hummm, who knew? LOL :kiss:

Good for you! A sex drive is a terrible thing to lose!

• Members
Oh really? Hummm, who knew? LOL :kiss:

Good for you! A sex drive is a terrible thing to lose!

HAHAHAHA Thanks! ;):kiss:

• Members
You would think so, wouldn't you? Seems it's tougher on the partner that hasn't lost theirs, than it is on the one that has :unsure::P

That is the sad truth. When you lose it you just get complacent and it's like "Oh well". It is definitely the partner who suffers!

• Members
That is the sad truth. When you lose it you just get complacent and it's like "Oh well". It is definitely the partner who suffers!

Been there, done that. Twice in fact. I have the Tee shirt here somewhere. :D

Just to clarify, I've still got mine :D