Official Community Forums Home

Red Friday's!

pappyld04

• Members

Will you give this to my Daddy?

As a Company, Southwest Airlines is going to support 'Red Fridays.

'

Last week I was in Atlanta , Georgia attending a conference. While I was in the airport, returning home, I heard several people behind me beginning to clap and cheer... I immediately turned around and witnessed one of the greatest acts of patriotism I have ever seen.

Moving thru the terminal was a group of soldiers in their camies. As they began heading to their gate, everyone (well almost everyone) was abruptly to their feet with their hands waving and cheering.

When I saw the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded and cheered for, it hit me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red-blooded American who still loves this country and supports our troops and their families.

Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young unsung heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us so we can go to school, work and home without fear or reprisal.

Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of our service men and women, a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old, ran up to one of the male soldiers. He kneeled down and said 'hi.

'

The little girl then asked him if he would give something to her daddy for her.

The young soldier, who didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself, said he would try and what did she want to give to her Daddy. Then suddenly the little girl grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him the biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.

The mother of the little girl, who said her daughter's name was Courtney, told the young soldier that her husband was a Marine and had been in Iraq for 11 months now. As the mom was explaining how much her daughter Courtney missed her father, the young soldier began to tear up.

When this temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation, all of the soldiers huddled together for a brief second. Then one of the other servicemen pulled out a military- looking walkie-talkie. They started playing with the device and talking back and forth on it.

After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over to Courtney, bent down and said this to her, 'I spoke to your daddy and he told me to give this to you.' He then hugged this little girl that he had just met and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He finished by saying 'your daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything and he is coming home very soon.

The mom at this point was crying almost uncontrollably and as the young soldier stood to his feet, he saluted Courtney and her mom. I was standing no more than 6 feet away from this entire event.

As the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people resumed their applause. As I stood there applauding and looked around, there were very few dry eyes, including my own. That young soldier in one last act of selflessness, turned around and blew a kiss to Courtney with a tear rolling down his cheek.

We need to remember everyday all of our soldiers and their families and thank God for them and their sacrifices. At the end of the day, it's good to be an American.

RED FRIDAYS ----- Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red every Friday. The reason? Americans who support our troops used to be called the 'silent majority'. We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers.

We are not organized, boisterous or over-bearing. We get no liberal media coverage on TV, to reflect our message or our opinions. Many Americans, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize that the vast majority of America supports our troops.

Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect starts this Friday -and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that... Every red-blooded American who supports our men and women afar will wear some thing red.

By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make the United States on every Friday a sea of red much like a homecoming football game in the bleachers.

If every one of us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances, co-workers, friends, and family. It will not be long before the USA is covered in RED and it will let our troops know the once 'silent' majority is on their side more than ever; certainly more than the media lets on.

The first thing a soldier says when asked 'What can we do to make things better for you?' is...We need your support and your prayers.

Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example; and wear something red every Friday.

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE.

THEIR BLOOD RUNS RED---- SO WEAR RED! --- MAY GOD HELP AMERICA TO BECOME ONE NATION, UNDER GOD

IF YOU AGREE -- THEN SEND THIS ON.

IF YOU COULD CARE LESS THEN HIT THE DELETE BUTTON --- IT IS YOUR CHOICE. I don't know if you've seen this, but I couldn't delete it.

• Members

I will ALWAYS support our troops!! I may not always support the cause, and you may hear me ranting every now and then about the cause, but you will NEVER EVER hear me complain about our troops. If not for them, we would not have our freedom. They are doing a job, that I could never do!!

• Members

I will wear red something for now on on each and every friday to show support to our heros that support and protect my and my families rights and liberties. I salute them!

• Members

I decided to count how many friends I have in the military that I went to school or church with or who are in my fire department. I have over a dozen, most overseas right now.

I would wear red, but I have to wear blue for my fire department duty night on Fridays. Still a patriotic color and many of my military friends are from the CVFD.

I love them all dearly, even the ones I don't know. They ARE the ones that keep freedom free.

• Members
I would wear red, but I have to wear blue for my fire department duty night on Fridays. Still a patriotic color and many of my military friends are from the CVFD.

I did not see where it had to be visible!

• Members

I have a mountain of respect for anyone who volunteers to put themselves in harm's way. But can we spread the love a bit further? There are plenty of people to salute who give of themselves and to society who are non-military. So lets make a point of saluting: teachers; nurses; fire fighters; medical researchers; mental health professionals; social work professionals; people who volunteer to coach kids at sports or even how to read; foster parents; "Doctors Without Borders"; Green Peace; NSPCC; NSPCA; Bill Moyers.

I look forward to the day when we figure out how to be part of the global community without dispensing Purple Hearts, observing solemn funerals at Arlington Cemetery, or overwhelming the capacity of VA Hospitals. When that day comes God will have truly Blessed America.

• Members

A lot of those in your list we do take for granted, however some of that list will never get my support or respect!

• Members
I did not see where it had to be visible!

HA! Good point! I think I have ONE pair of red panties..... and one pair of red socks! That could work.... :P

• Members

I've told my kids today about red fridays. they too will be participating. were all spreading the word here.

When you see service men and women in passing how do you suggest one would show them a sign of respect and appreciation. I usually smile and nod, but that just feels so trivial.

• Members
A lot of those in your list we do take for granted, however some of that list will never get my support or respect!

Free country. Salute as many or as few as you like. My point was that there are a fair number of folks among us who make unnoticed sacrifices for the benefit of the rest of us.

• Members
I've told my kids today about red fridays. they too will be participating. were all spreading the word here.

When you see service men and women in passing how do you suggest one would show them a sign of respect and appreciation. I usually smile and nod, but that just feels so trivial.

I would only say that you should respond in a way you feel is appropriate!

• Members
Free country. Salute as many or as few as you like. My point was that there are a fair number of folks among us who make unnoticed sacrifices for the benefit of the rest of us.

I understand what you are saying there DadT, but some in your list would be like saluting welfare recipients for leeching from the rest of us. Granted some of them actually need the help, but we all know know how many would be pissed if you hid that welfare check under their work boots!

There are many in society that have earned and deserve recognition and many of them get it from their colleagues. But in these times it seems like an empty gesture more than recognition.

BTW, there are very few soldiers that I would salute, I know what that implies and real soldiers despise it! Very few officers are respected and only those who are proven would get a salute from me. (The rest of us worked for a living!).

• Members
I look forward to the day when we figure out how to be part of the global community without dispensing Purple Hearts, observing solemn funerals at Arlington Cemetery, or overwhelming the capacity of VA Hospitals. When that day comes God will have truly Blessed America.

I have never seen it worded more brilliantly!

• Members

What I'd really like to do is go to each one shake there hand and thank them, but that may be somewhat looney. What would they appreciate as an acknowledgment?

Red lace undies today.....

• Members
I understand what you are saying there DadT, but some in your list would be like saluting welfare recipients for leeching from the rest of us. Granted some of them actually need the help, but we all know know how many would be pissed if you hid that welfare check under their work boots!

There are many in society that have earned and deserve recognition and many of them get it from their colleagues. But in these times it seems like an empty gesture more than recognition.

BTW, there are very few soldiers that I would salute, I know what that implies and real soldiers despise it! Very few officers are respected and only those who are proven would get a salute from me. (The rest of us worked for a living!).

Have you ever met or spoken to anyone who receives AFDC or Section 8 housing (Welfare)? I have. The vast majority of these mothers are Caucasian woman under the age of 25 whose BFs left them when they got pregnant. So I'm going to ask you and others to be careful when you throw terms like "leeches" around. They hate being on welfare more than you hate paying for it. But they are usually very poorly educated, so cannot get jobs that provide benefits and allow them to pay for day care.

We should really be exasperated at the fact that we haven't found a way to educate the underclass so that they can take care of themselves long term.

• Members
Have you ever met or spoken to anyone who receives AFDC or Section 8 housing (Welfare)? I have. The vast majority of these mothers are Caucasian woman under the age of 25 whose BFs left them when they got pregnant. So I'm going to ask you and others to be careful when you throw terms like "leeches" around. They hate being on welfare more than you hate paying for it. But they are usually very poorly educated, so cannot get jobs that provide benefits and allow them to pay for day care.

We should really be exasperated at the fact that we haven't found a way to educate the underclass so that they can take care of themselves long term.

The majority of those mothers on welfare are playing the system! My x-wife got 2 welfare degrees and the bitch works at a C-store. Our last court date was about child support and she told the judge she wanted an increase because some moron at DHS told her to quit her job and go back to school to get her master's.

The leeches are just as bad as those worthless DHS workers who, in case you don't notice this trend, were former welfare leeches who were forced through schooling, and had to get a job. As I stated before, some people really do need help, but there is a larger portion of those leeches in the stagnant welfare system!

How many of those you know personally that drive a Cadillac? How many have a live-in bf that they won't marry cuz it will interfere with that check? How many keep popping those babies out cause the pill falls out every time they stand up? Can you educate some of those people to keep their legs closed until they can better themselves? How many dads do you have on welfare there?

I apologize for the tone here but I think you should really look around and see what is happening around you. Welfare needs to be reformed and, IMO, about 95% of the people who who work for that agency need to be shown the unenjoyment line!

• Members

This doesn't even begin to show my contempt here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2009Apr21/0,4...eDeaths,00.html

Records: 14 kids die in 2008 on LA County's watch

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

LOS ANGELES — Nearly half of the Los Angeles County children who died last year from abuse and neglect were from families under the watch of child welfare officials, records show.

The heavily redacted records, released Monday after a California Public Records Act request by the Los Angeles Times, include previously confidential medical records, family services documents and police reports.

They show that the families of 14 of the 32 children who died in the county in 2008 from abuse and neglect, including physical assault and malnourishment, were under the scrutiny of Children and Family Services and should have been known to social workers.

Ten of those cases are under investigation and could result in disciplinary action.

The deaths include a boy who died of multiple skull fractures whose family had been reported 25 times to child welfare, and a child who died the day after a social worker's last visit.

In one case, a 2-year-old girl who weighed less than 19 pounds at her death _ a weight suitable for a 5-month-old _ died of what an autopsy determined was "severe nutritional neglect." In another case, a 1-year-old girl left alone with her mother despite a court order requiring that visits be monitored died of what investigators said was trauma "consistent with being thrown or slammed against a hard surface." The mother said the girl fell down the stairs.

County Supervisor Gloria Molina said discipline and training are lacking in a department that has seen persistent problems.

"These are shocking cases," Molina told the newspaper. "The biggest problem is that no lessons are learned."

Trish Ploehn, director of the department, said the county's review of child deaths has been insufficient because of a lack of personnel.

An independent monitor position charged with identifying problems in the department has been left vacant by supervisors for more than a year.

Ploehn said the workers involved in the 10 cases under investigation are doing desk jobs until the cases are resolved.

Such family records are usually kept from public view, but a new state law last year relaxed restrictions and made their release possible.

___

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com/

• Members
This doesn't even begin to show my contempt here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2009Apr21/0,4...eDeaths,00.html

Records: 14 kids die in 2008 on LA County's watch

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

LOS ANGELES — Nearly half of the Los Angeles County children who died last year from abuse and neglect were from families under the watch of child welfare officials, records show.

The heavily redacted records, released Monday after a California Public Records Act request by the Los Angeles Times, include previously confidential medical records, family services documents and police reports.

They show that the families of 14 of the 32 children who died in the county in 2008 from abuse and neglect, including physical assault and malnourishment, were under the scrutiny of Children and Family Services and should have been known to social workers.

Ten of those cases are under investigation and could result in disciplinary action.

The deaths include a boy who died of multiple skull fractures whose family had been reported 25 times to child welfare, and a child who died the day after a social worker's last visit.

In one case, a 2-year-old girl who weighed less than 19 pounds at her death _ a weight suitable for a 5-month-old _ died of what an autopsy determined was "severe nutritional neglect." In another case, a 1-year-old girl left alone with her mother despite a court order requiring that visits be monitored died of what investigators said was trauma "consistent with being thrown or slammed against a hard surface." The mother said the girl fell down the stairs.

County Supervisor Gloria Molina said discipline and training are lacking in a department that has seen persistent problems.

"These are shocking cases," Molina told the newspaper. "The biggest problem is that no lessons are learned."

Trish Ploehn, director of the department, said the county's review of child deaths has been insufficient because of a lack of personnel.

An independent monitor position charged with identifying problems in the department has been left vacant by supervisors for more than a year.

Ploehn said the workers involved in the 10 cases under investigation are doing desk jobs until the cases are resolved.

Such family records are usually kept from public view, but a new state law last year relaxed restrictions and made their release possible.

___

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com/

So can I infer from this that if you were a California resident that you would be first in line to offer to raise your taxes so that a first class child welfare system could be implemented? Child abuse is disgusting, but it seems not quite disgusting enough to overcome citizens' reluctance to pay for the services needed to protect children. Too bad we can't require people who will make unfit parents to use contraception. Sadly, that is un-Constitutional.

• Members

How about we infer that I was born there and, lived there for a minute during my military days. I would not step up to offer more to see what I see now with just more lazy incompetents added to the cesspool! The money is there, it's the people being paid for this shit that are not earning their money. Not your fault I know, but I would bet you know of some in your own office that fall into this caregory.

How these people avoided prosecution is beyond me. They have, IMO, contributed to the deaths!

• Members
The leeches are just as bad as those worthless DHS workers who, in case you don't notice this trend, were former welfare leeches who were forced through schooling, and had to get a job. As I stated before, some people really do need help, but there is a larger portion of those leeches in the stagnant welfare system!

How many of those you know personally that drive a Cadillac? How many have a live-in bf that they won't marry cuz it will interfere with that check? How many keep popping those babies out cause the pill falls out every time they stand up? Can you educate some of those people to keep their legs closed until they can better themselves? How many dads do you have on welfare there?

I apologize for the tone here but I think you should really look around and see what is happening around you. Welfare needs to be reformed and, IMO, about 95% of the people who who work for that agency need to be shown the unenjoyment line

Sigh, I get so tired of this....