Official Community Forums Home

Craigslist Murder Suspect Held Without Bail

ladylove

• Members

For anyone who has ever gone to Craigslist to find romance or has entertained the idea. Be very careful you never know.

2nd year Med-Student accused of being the Craiglist killer

• Members

The thing is he was looking for professional services and such. Not targeting women looking for love. I will tell you that this can happen through any type of online service. I heard a horror story from another popular site that people swear by which was Match.com.

I met my SO on craigslist. We talked for a month and then met. We have been together now almost 16 months. He has met other people on there before me and never had any trouble with them.

You have to take your time and get to know them. Yes I know that online people can say anything. Yet think of this most that want to do something like this aren't going to talk to you for a month. They are goign to pressure you to meet sooner. Granted not everyon wanting to meet sooner is a killer. Take time emailing and such first. Like I said we emailed and talked on the phone for a month.

Hell in this day and age this can happen anywhere not just on sites. There are murders all over, but we dont' say oh that you should stay away from a particular business or whatever. Yet things like this people are quick to say see stay away. You have to trust your judgements and be safe. That is the main thing.

This girl was trying to make money with her massage business that was it. Unfortuantely this sicko killed her. Just my opinion on this.

• Members

I hear what your saying; and the guy next door could be a creep. This just makes me very uncomfortable. I believe all the girls that were killed were advertised as 'exotic services', but this just has a huge potential for abuse.

You were luck SS. I just think this warrants thoughts.

• Members

It does warrant thoughts but so does every person you meet in life as you never know. I had a friend when I was in 7th grade that was killed by a neighbor who was in 10th grade because she wouldn't date him. She just wanted to be friends. He came over in the morning as they walked to school together. She let him in as she was finishing getting ready. Well he went up and stabbed her 96 times and killed her. She had known him for over 10 years.

Just means you never know...period.

• Members

The fact is, we can meet people like this in the neighborhood bar, on Facebook, Craigslist or ANY internet site, they can be your daughter's friend's father for Godsake!

POINT: When you are dealing with internet people, be VERY careful! You can be whomever you want online! There is not a sensor that allows us to read body language or voice inflection over the internet. We can not get a sense for most people just by internet conversations.

I know in this day and age we all want to be with someone, and these sites make connecting easy. However, it is scary - VERY scary. In fact, I was on another site a few years back, before TT and a guy hacked into his girlfriend's computer and found out a lot about me and my life. He ended up 'surprising' me at the park when I was there with my eldest son! That is scary creepy! I try to be VERY careful about what information I have circulating out there. People here will tell you, I don't give it out....I just don't. There is ONE person on here that has my personal information and a few more my personal e-mail - that is IT! I just don't trust people anymore!

The fact is, we can meet people like this in the neighborhood bar, on Facebook, Craigslist or ANY internet site, they can be your daughter's friend's father for Godsake!

POINT: When you are dealing with internet people, be VERY careful! You can be whomever you want online! There is not a sensor that allows us to read body language or voice inflection over the internet. We can not get a sense for most people just by internet conversations.

I know in this day and age we all want to be with someone, and these sites make connecting easy. However, it is scary - VERY scary. In fact, I was on another site a few years back, before TT and a guy hacked into his girlfriend's computer and found out a lot about me and my life. He ended up 'surprising' me at the park when I was there with my eldest son! That is scary creepy! I try to be VERY careful about what information I have circulating out there. People here will tell you, I don't give it out....I just don't. There is ONE person on here that has my personal information and a few more my personal e-mail - that is IT! I just don't trust people anymore!

I don't blame you at all. It's always good to be aware of what risks there are, and problems from a particular situation, whether it's on the Net, or in your real life. I have a hard time trusting people too. Other than the friends that I've known for a long time on here, there are 2 other people that have my personal info and phone numbers, and I did that in PM's or e-mails, never on a board.

I had a stalker about 15 yrs ago, my ex. He called and called and called. He moved 3 hours away, and still called me! He had gone back to his mother's house, and I finally had to make this her business too, by calling her and letting her know that he was using her phone (and $$) to call me and harrass me, and that, if it didn't stop, I'd have him arrested, so please talk with him or have your phone blocked. I never heard from him again. Though, when he did it, he scared me.