Official Community Forums Home

Random Spotting :(

MystryKitten

• Members

Ok so I've been on birth control for over two years now, started out on the pacth for a couple months then moved to the ring.

Right now I just scheduled an appointment at Planned Parenthood for next Tuesday for my yearly, and I asked them about my spotting but they couldnt tell me anything and told me I had to ask the gyno when I came in :( *pout*

So heres my problem!! For about a week now I've been spotting, but my period wasn't supposed to start for another two weeks! I won't bleed for hourssssss but when I wake up or sometime randomly throughout the day I'll have a little blood come out, not really even enough for a tampon but enough for it to be uncomfortable!

My mom and some of my roommates suggested miscarriage but I'm like noooooooo, impossible!! I've only had sex once in the last two months. The last time I had sex was about a week and a half ago, I had my ring in and my new interest wore a condom. Even two months ago when I was having sex with my boyfriend, we ALWAYS wore a condom and I make sure my BC is put in and taken out on the correct days. Its just not possible!

Whats wrong with my vagina!! LOL Its not fair! And Planned Parenthood won't tell me anything :(

Any ideas???

• Members

Well it could be a few things, but question, any pain with it? If there is pain then you probably should see your Gyno ASAP. It could be some kind of an infection (anything from a simple yeast infection to a mild STD) or you could have unintenionally gotten a little rough during some manual play and either your new interest clipped you with his nail, your you may have. Also it could just be that, as a young woman, your hormones are changing slightly and your bleeding a little.

PPH is likely not "not telling" you anything because that small of an amount of blood is likely nothing. Now if this were more like a light period or someting heavier they likely would have had you come in for a infection test. Also since you have an exam scheduled it's likely just easier for you to go then rather than go in today and get poked up then go back in a week from now to get poked again.

My best uneducated guess? Your hormones are changing a little and it's nothing to worry about. Keep up posted!

• Members

Hi - a couple of things

With respect to PPH not telling you anything - most likely the person you spoke to to schedule the appointment was a clerk or a medical assistant. They can not (legally) assess and "diagnosis" and it was most appropriate for them to indiacte that you would need to discuss it with the physician or nurse practioner you will see for your appointment.

There are a variety of reasons why you could be having the spotting/light bleeding you are experiencing. None of which can be diagnosis by a telephone call alone. An exam is needed to rule things in or out.

So what can be causing the spotting/bleeding?

1. Most likely related to the birth control you are using as it is very common when on any form of hormonal birth control to have occasional episodes of irregular spotting and the longer you are on the birth control the greater the possibility that some irregular spotting will occur.

2. Infection - as stated by Suzy P an infection (bacterial vaginosis, chlamydia, trichamonis) can cause spotting in some women

3. Trauma (even a small scratch) to the vagina

4. Polyp on the cervix - very unlikely, not related to cancer

So the long and short of it is that you need to be seen, have an exam done along with the appropriate tests. And although it is important for you to be seen and examined it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the spotting is related to anything "bad".

• Members

I'm still having hormone changes at 20? I thought I was done already lol. There is no pain so thats good.

Yeah the person I talked to was a clerk so thats prob why she couldn't tell me anything.

And I thought I heard that you only regulary spotted with in the first year of getting on BC <_<

suppose i was misinformed!

Why would your vagina feel the need to spot bleed when there is small trauma to it? And I know u can have spotting with increased stress, different sleep scheds etc, but why do our bodies freak out and decide to have a small period of all things?!

Gahh. Sorry, it is just making me frustrated! I just feel that BC should be able to regulate your periods so you know when you'll be on it, but it guess BC isnt perfect all the way thru =/

• Members
Why would your vagina feel the need to spot bleed when there is small trauma to it? And I know u can have spotting with increased stress, different sleep scheds etc, but why do our bodies freak out and decide to have a small period of all things?!

My guess, and Leslie might be able (probably) to shed some further light on the subject. If you had cut yourself or something of that nature during play time, the spot of blood might not have been noticed in all of the other fluids (i guess) as for why it randomly bleeds? I'd have to guess, you've moved or stretched in just the right way to irrtate it, unlike a paper cut on you're hand you can't see a cut in your vajingy.

• Members

With respect to any bleeding/spotting that occurs - most often the bleeding/spotting is coming from the uterus, not the vagina, however it is possible that bleeding can be from the tissue/skin of the vagina or the cervix. So......

With any form of hormonal birth control (BCP, Nuvaring, DepoProvera, etc) your periods are regulated which typically means that they will occur at regular intervals. When initially starting any hormonal birth control there is a time frame in which the hormones are working to over ride your own cycle - during that time period (usually 2-3 months) irregular bleeding/spotting can occur. Depending on how your body metabolizes and responds to the birth control you can sometimes end up with absolutely no period at all (loved by some, bothersome to others). Since a variety of things (such as stress) can affect how your body metabolizes the hormones it is possible to get minor hormonal fluctuations that end up with some irregular spotting. This is more apt to occur the longer you are on any particular type of hormonal birth control. So while it is more common initially it can occur at any time.

With respect to vaginal trauma. Any type of vaginal "play" can cause cuts, scratches or abrasions (similar to cutting or scrathing the skin on your knees if you fall). While this doesn't happen very often due to the "stretchyness" of the vaginal tissue, it can happen. Finger nails can have a sharp edge, toys can have a rough spot, insufficient lubrication makes it easier to abraid the surface of the vaginal tissue - all of these things can cause some bleeding/spotting. Sometimes the scratch, cut or abrasion is very obvious, other times it can be microscopic - but still enough to cause some bleeding. The vaginal mucosa is not as sensitive as the opening of the vagina or the labia so it is possible that there can be a small amount of trauma and you would not have any pain. So check your toys for rough spots, sharp edges, etc. If finger play is used, make sure your partners finger nails are trimed and smoothed.

As for the cervix - if there is an infection the cervix is often inflammed which can cause the surface of the cervix to bleed when it is "touched" - either by the penis or a toy. The bleeding can range from minimal to moderate. Some times the bleeding is obvious immediately - some times its a number of hours (6-24) before the blood is noticed when wiping or on your panties.

Once again probably a longer answer then you were looking for........however the more we as women know and understand about our bodies and reproductive issues, the better off we are in the long run.

• Members
Once again probably a longer answer then you were looking for........however the more we as women know and understand about our bodies and reproductive issues, the better off we are in the long run.

Any one else glad there's a doctor in the house? Thanks Leslie!

• Review Team
Any one else glad there's a doctor in the house? Thanks Leslie!

YES! Sooo glad!

• Members

Well my sleep sched has been off since im working midnight shift at work here and there, but this spotting has been going on for about a week or more now =/ i suppose its really nothing to worry about but its just really getting to me. wont bleed for hours then all of a sudden...oops i soiled another pair of panties thinking this irregular period wud be done! :(

Going in Tuesday so ill ask the gyno

yes thank you Leslie!!!!

• Members

understand and appreciate the "yuch" and "pain in the butt" aspect of the irregular bleeding. If your exam in normal it's very possible that the recommendation will be to change the type of BC you're using, or stop x 1-2 months (use condoms and foam in the mean time) and then restart. Please do not be afraid to ask questions or get clarification if anything that is said doesn't make sense or isn't clear/understandable to you. Remember there is no "stupid questions" unless it's those we don't ask!

• Members

The gyno said my changes of sleep schedule from working overtime on midnights, combined with the fact that i was abstinent for two months and recently started having sex again two weeks ago, is why i may have had this irregular period. If it happens again ill need to go back. but it should just be those stressful factors in which my body is like WHATTT YOU DOIG TO ME? haha

:) and i think i finally stopped bleeding today, but what sucks is that I bleed for ten days and iam to take my ring out Sunday to have my normal peroid. AHHH SUCKS

Ok so I've been on birth control for over two years now, started out on the pacth for a couple months then moved to the ring.

Right now I just scheduled an appointment at Planned Parenthood for next Tuesday for my yearly, and I asked them about my spotting but they couldnt tell me anything and told me I had to ask the gyno when I came in :( *pout*

So heres my problem!! For about a week now I've been spotting, but my period wasn't supposed to start for another two weeks! I won't bleed for hourssssss but when I wake up or sometime randomly throughout the day I'll have a little blood come out, not really even enough for a tampon but enough for it to be uncomfortable!

My mom and some of my roommates suggested miscarriage but I'm like noooooooo, impossible!! I've only had sex once in the last two months. The last time I had sex was about a week and a half ago, I had my ring in and my new interest wore a condom. Even two months ago when I was having sex with my boyfriend, we ALWAYS wore a condom and I make sure my BC is put in and taken out on the correct days. Its just not possible!

Whats wrong with my vagina!! LOL Its not fair! And Planned Parenthood won't tell me anything :(

Any ideas???

I know you got some fantastic answers, but I wanted to chime in a couple of points.

As Leslieann said, with any sort of BC, spotting is possible. Poor sleep habits, hormonal changes (which can happen even when you're NOT pregnant), dietary changes, stress, anything can set off spotting. Hell, even when you're NOT on a BC method, you can still spot. It's really common.

A miscarriage would've been a bit more bleeding than what you're describing. Plus, you probably would've been cramping a bit more.

As for talking with Planned Parenthood over the phone, they CAN'T give medical advice out over the phone. Usually, the people you set appointments with, are just secretaries. Some may have certification in billing & medical terminology, but that's usually the extent of their expertise. It'd be like asking a school teacher to give advice on what sorts of shots your pet needs.....they just don't have the knowledge or education to do so. Plus, with all the privacy laws now, they really need to see you so that you get the best medical advice possible. That, and there's also the possibility that you'd take THAT advice over the phone, and substituting that for going in to see the doctor, possibly making your situation worse (if there was a problem). So please don't think they were trying to brush you off, they just CAN'T give out medical advice over the phone.