Official Community Forums Home

Time For Yourself?

Tyger

Whether you're married, or steadily dating, do you take a night off for yourself?

Tonight is a night that my GF and I agreed to stay at our own houses, so that I can have time alone with my daughter, and she can have some time alone for herself at her house with her animals. She doesn't have any children of her own.

I think that it's important to have a bit of time for yourself, to keep yourself you, and to also catch up with things that may be put on the back burner because you want to spend time with your SO.

We've agreed on 2 nights a week to stay at our own homes, giving my daughter a break, since she has a hard time with her father (he doesn't spend time with her much, and his girlfriend/baby-momma lives with him, so he spends no one-on-one time with our daughter), and, I'm sure still isn't fully accepting of my relationship with another woman.

Do you take time out for you? If so, how do you do it? What do you do when you get alone time?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Review Team

My alone time is when I get home from work and lay on the couch and take a late afternoon nap,

but my day starts at 4:00 Am 6 days a week

• Like 2

• Members

When I was in a relationship I would have a day a week for me. Often our schedules didn't match up well. I'd have time to go to the beach by myself. I would once a year take a vacation by myself. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes. Anyone that doesn't respect my recharging time is a deal breaker. I recall feeling so zapped and anxious when my ex wanted to be tied to my hip. I think that caused the relationship to break down. Only if he would let me have a day or two to myself. 

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I am not in a relationship at the moment, but having some recharge time is mandatory.  That is something that you have to have to stay sane.

• Like 3

I think that whether you have kids, or not, in a relationship, or not, time to oneself is very important for one's sanity.

• Like 2

• Review Team

Im kinda weird i suppose, i really hate being alone.. i dont mind an hour or two here or there, but i would really rather be around someone.. Usually i consider my workout my alone time. That hour is usually plenty.. just me though, sometimes i wish i could be a little more independent and idk find something i like to do alone.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I musta missed this one also.

I don't set aside particular days or evenings for self time.  Self time just kind of works out naturally.  After work I am usually pretty mentally spent, so I spend the evenings goofing off on the internet.  The wife is off having her Facebook fights, so she keeps herself entertained.  And now that the kids are teenagers, they don't want nuttin to do with the parents.

On summer weekends I go for longish bike rides, which is more self time, plus plenty of yard work.

• Like 1

Bluetooth, you don't have to go and leave everyone behind to have time for yourself. And it really is a great thing for one's mental well-being. Doing so doesn't make you a bad parent/spouse either.

Personally, in my experience, anyone that has a significant other that is terrified/possessive/jealous if you spend time away from them is extremely insecure.

I like doing so so that I can remember I'm my OWN person too. Not just Mom, or Girlfriend, or Secretary. I'm ME too!! Honestly, I find it makes me better at all of my other "titles".

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Members
On 5/4/2017 at 8:01 PM, Tyger said:

Bluetooth, you don't have to go and leave everyone behind to have time for yourself. And it really is a great thing for one's mental well-being. Doing so doesn't make you a bad parent/spouse either.

Personally, in my experience, anyone that has a significant other that is terrified/possessive/jealous if you spend time away from them is extremely insecure.

I like doing so so that I can remember I'm my OWN person too. Not just Mom, or Girlfriend, or Secretary. I'm ME too!! Honestly, I find it makes me better at all of my other "titles".

Agreed. Having time for yourself is so important, and has become even more so for me and my hubby after having a baby. It helps us enjoy our time together so much more, because then we are both happier and more relaxed instead of stressed out!