Official Community Forums Home

Umbilical Hernia

mailahn97

• Members

I am in the process of getting everything around the house situated. On the 15th I am having umbilical hernia surgery. I was curious if anyone else has had this surgery and how they were after. I was told I would probably be down a week or so from normal activities. I was curious due to the muscles and everything how long from sex and such as well. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

• Members
I can't help you there babe. However, if you need me call, i'm only an hour up the road

Thanks sweetie. You just take care of that baby that I am waiting to spoil...lol. My mom is actually gonna come down the day before and is staying til I tell her to leave...lol. Thankfully she is great and we get along well. Oh and on top of this my daughters first play opens the same day as my surgery...oh lordy.

• Members
Thanks sweetie. You just take care of that baby that I am waiting to spoil...lol. My mom is actually gonna come down the day before and is staying til I tell her to leave...lol. Thankfully she is great and we get along well. Oh and on top of this my daughters first play opens the same day as my surgery...oh lordy.

Oh don't you worry..she is as snug as a bug in there. Don't drag yourself out if your not feeling well..I will drive up and go to her play if you can't get out so she has someone there.

• Members
Oh don't you worry..she is as snug as a bug in there. Don't drag yourself out if your not feeling well..I will drive up and go to her play if you can't get out so she has someone there.

No worries she will have people there but I appreciate it. I know I am gonna get smacked for this but I will be there all 3 nights of the play which are the 15th-17th...lol. Plus her dad's family is going one night. Friends of hers are going with her parents another day, plus my mom will be here to go as well so thank you. though.

• Members

SS, the healing and time down depends on what they have to do. If it is laparoscopic, the healing time will be faster. Don't push yourself too hard. If you don't feel up to the play, don't go.

• Members
SS, the healing and time down depends on what they have to do. If it is laparoscopic, the healing time will be faster. Don't push yourself too hard. If you don't feel up to the play, don't go.

Mine won't be laparoscopic that I do know. You know me. Do I ever listen completely...lol. I will try not to push myself but who knows....hehee.

• Members

Shortstuff - recovery time will depend primarily on the size of the hernia -

smaller hernia = smaller incision = shorter recovery time

larger hernia = larger incision = longer recovery time

Typically an abdominal incision is primarily closed in 7-10 days which is when you can slowly start increasing your activities - again this will depend on incision size. Your surgeon should be able to give you a general idea of the overall recovery time as well as the more "acute" phase when your activities will need to be fairly restricted.

Remember that good pain control is important. If your pain is poorly controlled it actually lengths the recovery time.

The other thing that will affect your recovery time is your general state of health. If you have other medical problems (diabetes, high blood pressure, mobility problems, etc) the recovery tends to be slower.

• Members
Shortstuff - recovery time will depend primarily on the size of the hernia -

smaller hernia = smaller incision = shorter recovery time

larger hernia = larger incision = longer recovery time

Typically an abdominal incision is primarily closed in 7-10 days which is when you can slowly start increasing your activities - again this will depend on incision size. Your surgeon should be able to give you a general idea of the overall recovery time as well as the more "acute" phase when your activities will need to be fairly restricted.

Remember that good pain control is important. If your pain is poorly controlled it actually lengths the recovery time.

The other thing that will affect your recovery time is your general state of health. If you have other medical problems (diabetes, high blood pressure, mobility problems, etc) the recovery tends to be slower.

Mine is actually a rather large hernia which is why he is making an incision instead of laparoscopic. I normally bounce back a lot quicker. I know I will get yelled at for this. About 5 years ago I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee, but had also promised my grandmother who was the world to me that I would be at a dinner at her nursing home. Well 3 hours after getting home from the surgery. My, my knee drain and the wheel chair...with the help of my mom went to that dinner. I do manage my pain well. I know not to let it get out of control as then it is even worse. Thank you for reminding me of that leslie. I appreciate your information.

Archer you just reminded me of something I have some steps in order to get in my house. Yuck I didn't even take into account those. Thank you for the information guys it is very helpful.

• Review Team

I have never had that kind of surgery but the one that I did have, I found it took about three months for me to really feel myself again. I talked to others and they said a lot of that was from being knocked out. That stuff has an effect on you and it is crazy how it seems to mess with your body for weeks after actually waking up. I didn't realize how much it had been affecting me until I finally got over it all. I imagine this is different with different people. Just don't rush yourself. Give yourself permission and time to heal. If you don't, the result won't be pleasant.

Good luck dear!

• Members

Thanks sweetie. Join the group of ones making sure I dn't overdo it. I was already told by PILTA that if I give the doctors any trouble he would beat my ass. I reminded him that of all people he should know that will encourage me to act up...lol.

I did find out today after I got back from my Pre-Op testing that my surgery date was changed from the 15th to the 29th...ugghh. I just want it over with.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Had my surgery today. I was supposed to be a 12:30 case they didn't take me to the OR til about 3:30. I am glad I had it done. They told me they found out that the hernia was incarcerated in the intestines and things could have been a lot worse if it was left. The first surgeon I had seen didn't want to do it due to me being overweight. If it wasn't for me debating lap band surgery I would not have met this surgeon and hiim say that he can do it.

I had great care and things went well. I am home resting with my pain meds and a drain that I have to keep an eye on. Thank you to those that pmed me wishing me luck and checking on me. It meant a lot. I am so lucky to have such nice friends.

I just wanted to let you know how it was going and give an update.

• Members
Had my surgery today. I was supposed to be a 12:30 case they didn't take me to the OR til about 3:30. I am glad I had it done. They told me they found out that the hernia was incarcerated in the intestines and things could have been a lot worse if it was left. The first surgeon I had seen didn't want to do it due to me being overweight. If it wasn't for me debating lap band surgery I would not have met this surgeon and hiim say that he can do it.

I had great care and things went well. I am home resting with my pain meds and a drain that I have to keep an eye on. Thank you to those that pmed me wishing me luck and checking on me. It meant a lot. I am so lucky to have such nice friends.

I just wanted to let you know how it was going and give an update.

glad everything went well and you are home recuperating.

• Review Team

Thanks for updating. Behave yourself and don't over do it! <_<