Official Community Forums Home

Recipie Ideas

angelkisses98

• Review Team

Baked chicken - have him shake-n-bake it or just use bread crumbs or whatever, then bake it. Pretty simple and he can use chicken breasts or legs or thighs or whatever he likes (although breasts seem to freeze best). Soups and stews freeze pretty well, too. I will try to think of more.

• Members

Does he like to cook at all? I mean, even though he doesn't know how to cook many things, does he enjoy doing it or is it just a total grind for him? Might dictate what type of stuff is on the menu.

What did he eat before you came along to cook for him?

==========================================

1) Hamburgers, Ore-Ida Crispers, and corn or some other microwaved frozen veggie or some canned baked beans.

2) Chunky Soup over rice. Sirloin Burger or Steak and Potato used to be good, though I haven't had it in a long time and it seems like some of the Chunky brand soups have gotten stingy with the amount of meat they put in. Use real rice, not minute rice. Can use white rice or brown rice. (I'm gravitating toward brown rice in my old age)

3) Chicken legs and thighs; put in a baking pan, put a patty of butter on each one and sprinkle with Lawry's Seasoned Salt. Bake (maybe 350 degrees for 45 minutes or so). Halfway through, spoon some of the juices back over each piece.

Serve with Stovetop Stuffing and a frozen veggie.

4) Spaghetti. Put some cooked up ground beef in with your favorite jar sauce, and maybe add some oregano and basel, or the pre-packaged italian seasoning, plus some pepper, minced garlic, and a bit of chili powder (not enough to make it taste like chili, though).

5) Cheese ravioli.

6) Frozen pizza.

7) Fry up a pound-plus of ground beef. Pour off the grease if you prefer. Mix in a heaping spoonful of flour. Add a can (14 - 16 ounce) of chicken broth. Cook for a while to boil off some liquid and thicken it up. You can add mushrooms if your not one of those anti-fungus militants.

Serve over mashed potatoes, with ketchup. (real mashed potatoes, not the boxed crud)

8) Perogies. When I was single I just ate them with spaghetti sauce. My wife makes other sauces for them, but I couldn't tell you what.

9) Are you anywhere near Wharton? You could get some Rocky's Pasties. I'm pretty sure you can get them cooked or frozen.

10) How about eggs or french toast or pancakes for dinner once in a while, with maybe sausage or bacon or some other side?

11) Hot dogs. What self-respecting husband wouldn't serve up hot dogs once in a while.

Others have already mentioned chili and mutt-loaf.

• Members
(after looking at your other thread)

I guess a lot of these have a bunch of salt, so maybe not such great ideas.

Yea, any prepackaged foods will have a load of salt. Be careful of that.

• Members

Simple yet Yummy.

Baked Stuffed Porkchops

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

-Prepare Stovetop-like Stuffing per the directions. (Basically melt 1/2 stick of butter and 2 cups of water and mix with the package)

-Lay Porkchops in bottom of a shallow pan(I use an 11X7" pyrex pan that's 1.5 inches deep) This fits 4 chops on the bone snugly.

-Spread Stuffing over the chops making sure to cover them completely.

-Put in the oven and forget about it for 1 hour.

Total prep time is about 10 minutes.

Add a frozen veggie on the side and you're good to go.

"Big Whip"(A local favorite of mine)

-Preheat oven to 425

-Cut a loaf of Italian Bread in half as if you were going to make Garlic Bread.

-Lay on mustard, choice of cold cuts and choice of cheezes.

-Cook both halves of the sandwich in the oven until the cheeze is melted(10-15 minutes).

-Add lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, and anything else that strikes your fancy.

-Fold halves together, cut into two-four sandwiches(depending on your appetite) and serve.

Spinach Pesto

-Boil water with vegetable boullion in a medium saucepan.

-Add spaghetti and cook to the texture you enjoy the most.

-While waiting for the spaghetti to cook loosely chop fresh spinach(baby spinach works wonderfully)

-Finely chop 3 cloves of Garlic.

-Mix 1/2-1 cup of finely grated romano or parmesan cheese with the spinach and garlic.

-Strain spaghetti and put in bowl with the rest of the ingredients.

-Toss and Serve.

Scalloped Potatoes Supreme

1.Preheat oven to 425

2.Thinly Slice 4 medium potatoes.

3.In an oven safe deep dish layer as follows.

4.Lay out one layer of potatoes.

5.Sprinkle Flour and garlic poweder over layer.

6.Shredded Cheddar for the next layer

7.Add Broccoli next(fresh works best but frozen will do)

8.Add Bacon Bits.

9. Repeat steps 4-8 until dish is nearly full.

10. Shred cheeze to cover the top.

11. Put 1/2 tsp of butter at each "corner" of dish

12. Put it in the oven and forget about it for an hour.

Hope this helps.

Randy.

• Review Team

How about Chili?

Brown a pound of ground beef, put it in a large pot with chilli beans, tomato sauce, some chili powder, some water if need-be, cook it all up and eat it or freeze it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
How's it all going angel????

Unfortunately she can't sign on to TT unless at home. It is blocked obviously at the Ronald McDonald House. The baby is up to 2 pounds from her birth weight of 1 pound 10 ounces. They are doing some meds to help her heart valve close. Something they are born with when this premature. They did the first round of the meds and there was a drastic change in the circulation for the better. They are starting a second round and will go from there. She is feisty like mommy. AK was telling me last night that the nurse came in to do her stuff and the baby was throwing a fit. She does not like change. Then the doctor came in to repeat the Echo and the baby got pissed and was kicking and throwing her arms around then all of a sudden she ran out of steam and her limbs just dropped and she rested. Still have a long road ahead of them so please keep them in your thoughts and prayer. She is two weeks old today.

• Members
Unfortunately she can't sign on to TT unless at home. It is blocked obviously at the Ronald McDonald House. The baby is up to 2 pounds from her birth weight of 1 pound 10 ounces. They are doing some meds to help her heart valve close. Something they are born with when this premature. They did the first round of the meds and there was a drastic change in the circulation for the better. They are starting a second round and will go from there. She is feisty like mommy. AK was telling me last night that the nurse came in to do her stuff and the baby was throwing a fit. She does not like change. Then the doctor came in to repeat the Echo and the baby got pissed and was kicking and throwing her arms around then all of a sudden she ran out of steam and her limbs just dropped and she rested. Still have a long road ahead of them so please keep them in your thoughts and prayer. She is two weeks old today.

Thank you for the update. Let her know I'm thinking of her and wishing little Annaliese Olivia (big name for such a little person) good health and a speedy healing process.

Are they down by you or more towds by me?

• Members

We aren't exactly far from each other you and I...lol. She is over in Philly which is about an hour or so drive for them without traffic each way. She is in very good hands. I will pass it on to her.

• Members
We aren't exactly far from each other you and I...lol. She is over in Philly which is about an hour or so drive for them without traffic each way. She is in very good hands. I will pass it on to her.

:lol: you keep telling me that, but I have yet to make to your neck of the woods. I'm either in the city or more north.

I wasn't sure if she was at one of the hospitals by her or at CHOP or at the heart hospital here or......... you get it.

Did they give her any time loose time lines for discharging home????

• Members
:lol: you keep telling me that, but I have yet to make to your neck of the woods. I'm either in the city or more north.

I wasn't sure if she was at one of the hospitals by her or at CHOP or at the heart hospital here or......... you get it.

Did they give her any time loose time lines for discharging home????

A loose time line for the baby to go home will be around her due date.

• Members

They are talking in April. In the baby's name April 25th we are doing the March of Dimes walk in Ocean City.