Official Community Forums Home

Finding Love Online

hrnychick

• Members

After reading a post on another topic that I started one person wrote how they met someone online and how things went bad after awhile. That post and the fact that I know someone who met someone online had me thinking and so I wanted to start a topic and see what others think and/or if you ever met someone from the net and did it work out or not?

The person I know met her guy in a chat room she is single and doesnt go out anyplace that would lead her to meet people.....she doesnt go to bars doesnt go to church doesnt even go to the mall.....very very limited. So the chat room become her place to go. She talked about the people she chatted with as if she met them all in person.....acted as if some were dear close friends. I guess if you dont have much of a life its easy to be sucked into the relm of the chat.

I told her cause she was new to the whole internet thing to beware people do LIE on the net.....you may think youre chatting with a guy and its really a girl or vice versa or you could be chatting with someone much younger or older then you want.

So she ened up meeting someone and he didnt live all that far away only about 2hrs. He would come in on weekends and before everyone knew it she said he was going to quit his job and move in with her. Now why would someone leave a job and move before they have anyother job lined up? I asked and got no answer to that......later I found out she told him she owned her house......but she rents......and that she knew people that would help him get a really really good paying job.....and that didnt happen either.

The living situation is rather odd......she calls him her boyfriend but they dont sleep in the same bed he has his room she has hers and he has a pad lock on his door.....they have no sex cause of heart problems he has.......they are more like roommates if anything....when he first started to come in and visit he bought and promised her the world now the tune has changed since he moved here....There is just something about him that no one likes.....he goes back to his hometown at least 2 times a month and says its to see his daughter but he stays with a ex wife when he is there.....oh yeah he has been married 3 or 4 times......and has a daughter in college.....he never takes my friend with him when he goes "back home" never even brings up the idea always has an excuse why he cant......I think he may still be married but she wont believe that......I think she is putting up with a lot just cause she doesnt want to be alone.

I think if she wanted to met someone over the net she should have went to an online dating service. So has anyone met on the net and it worked out......or its it always that same old story they tell you one thing and you find out the truth after you meet them or have been with them for awhile.....plus he will not let her on his computer which makes me think he maybe meeting others online as well.

Would you meet someone online rather the be alone?

• Members

Well Hrnychick, I have to say I am guilty I have met someone online twice in fact and the second one I married and have been with for 8yrs.

I was talking in a chat room and this guy and I hit it off to say the least we chatted on yahoo for a long time about 6months everyday,I sent him my pic and he sent me his, then as we all know came phone number exchange he lived in San Diego, Ca and I lived in Arizona. After numerous phone conversations I agreed to go to CA. He bought the ticket and I went alone, a very dangerous thing to do , but I felt save and to say the least i flew into LA X so I knew it would be full of people, heck and if all else failed I would just get on the next plane headed home.

He met me as I was unboarding the flight I spotted him instantly and he spotted me, since we were both a little nerves we decided to grab a drink at the airport bar and talk and get comfortable with one another before I got into the car with him alone in a state that is huge. Well after about an hour of chit chat we decided to go eat dinner and talk about where I wanted to stay since we had a big day planned for tomorrow. He said there is a hotel just down the road from my house or you can stay with me it doesnt matter either way he said. If you would like to stay at the house, I have a spare room and the door locks and I will not bug you at all.

After dinner I was feeling very comfortable with him and save, so I decided I would stay at his house. Showed me the spare room and off to sleep I was. The next morning he knocked on the door to wake me and of course I forgot to lock it :P but I said yes and he asked if he could come in, sure i said i am dressed and ask how long before I was ready. Well to make a long story short we had a wonderful next day zoo, sea world etc.. I stayed another night at his,everything was fine.The next day was my return flight and he took me to the airport and to this day we are still great friends, something could have happened so easy sexually but we had a understanding before I went to visit him.

A couple years after that I was online again in a chat room. Was instant messaged and we talk online for awhile and he lived in the same state has me and about 65miles away.I was really worried in alot of ways because I had my daughter and she was only about 2months so now I have her to think about to my other children at the time were staying with their dad for the month.Well we chatted then came the phone calls. Then one day I finally gave in and called my dad to come and watch the little one and told him where I was going and about what time I should be home.We talked on the phone for a good 9months. I met him although I have never seen him or a pic but he had seen a pic of me he walked up to me and said are you Kathy I said yes and off to eat and of course I had to have a few drinks,to relax my nerves and calm myself down he was hot hot hot! Well after dinner we said goodnight and the next morning he called to see how everything went and was wondering if he was ever going to know where i lived. After about 1yr of talking and meeting and dating I finally let him come to the house and meet my daughter, he moved in 3months later and I married him 2months later and have been married to him ever since.

I think I just got really lucky and didnt meet some physco out there.I have to say I was very careful well as careful as you can be with internet I guess. But I think it is possible, I spent a few years alone and finally decided that the men I was meeting out and about were only after sex and I was looking for someone for keeps not just a one night stand and I made that very clear! My husband and i didnt have any sexual action tell he moved in, go firgue,a nd let me tell you I was wishing we did the first night I met him but I had to think of my daughter and what I really wanted in a man.

I personally have never met up with anyone that I met online. Although there is one special lady that I would love to meet.

I do have a friend that has been married to her husband that she met via the internet for about 7 yrs now, and they are very happy together.

You really do have to be careful, cuz lots of ppl are less than forthcoming online. And why should they be? The internet is one of the safest ways to fulfill fantasies, become someone/thing you're not, and who will be the wiser?

• Members

Actually, I have met several people online,

unfortunatly, none of them ever really worked out.

Some of them have been good meetings and yes, I am still friends with them to this day, and one other, well, lets just say it was too wierd even for me.

When I meet people I have been chatting with online,

I always drive my own car, and meet in a well lit public place, and I always carry my cell phone.

If its that bad of a date, I can always get the baby sitter to call me and tell me one of the kids is sick.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Actually, I have met several people online,

unfortunatly, none of them ever really worked out.

Some of them have been good meetings and yes, I am still friends with them to this day, and one other, well, lets just say it was too wierd even for me.

When I meet people I have been chatting with online,

I always drive my own car, and meet in a well lit public place, and I always carry my cell phone.

If its that bad of a date, I can always get the baby sitter to call me and tell me one of the kids is sick.

I met many many people from online -- some are still friends; many were absolutely jerks ... then I met my future husband. We met through the Yahoo personals. We emailed each other for several weeks before we actually met in person. When we decided to meet, my older son (age 17) and his friend (age 18) went to the same restaurant and sat in a nearby booth, just to make sure I was ok! :lol: (It was really sweet of my son to do that!)

Within a year, the man I met and I were engaged and now we've been married for 4 years.

We have 2 other couples who are friends who have met online and are now married as well .....

I highly recommend it -- but use common sense when meeting :)