Official Community Forums Home

C-Section

angelkisses98

• Members

Here's a question for the ladies who have had C-Sections. I had an emergency C-Section 6 months ago. I had to be cut both vertically and horizontally because they had problems getting my daughter out. I am still numb around the scars, and it's driving me crazy. The doctors said this is normal for the first few months, however, we are going on 7 months now. I was just curious about other section experiences.

• Members

I was actually numb for almost a year after.

• Members

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have had 2 C-sections and my last one was 3 years ago - I am still numb.

I had my daughter, via c-section, though only horizontally. That immediate area is still numb. I don't think that the nerves ever fully grow back. But it shouldn't affect your sexuality.

• Members

The amount/area of numbness that remains after a C-section varies from woman to woman (the size/length of the incision is different, the amount of stretching that was done during the surgery is differnt, we all heal differently, etc) in addition it is affected by whether the incision is vertical or horizontal. Typically there is a bit more numbness from a horizontal incision then a vertical incision (has to do with the way nerves are in the skin). The more c-sections you have - the more numbness there is due to the nerves getting cut repeatatively. With both a vertical and horizontal incisions being done during the same surgery there is always a certain amount of numbness present particularly where the 2 incisions meet/intersect - again related to the degree that the nerves were cut/traumatized.

While I would like to say you will get more feeling back - for the most part whatever feeling you have at 6 months - that's as good as it is going to get - Sorry. So most likely you will not see much, if any change from this point forward. Possible that I could be wrong, but not very probable.

• Members

Thanks Leslieanne......

:)

• Members

Thanks, I can deal with it, it's just annoying when my stomach itches around the area and I scratch it, and I cant feel anything. I have feel I have been sliced and diced. Plus it's a horrible reminder of that day, and the fact that the epidural did not work right and I felt the ENTIRE section. That was NOT a pleasant experience.

Well, again, as an experienced c-sectioner, yes, you HAVE been sliced, AND diced. Every once in a while, even almost 8 yrs later, if someone pushes on the spot I had the epidural, that spot HURTS. You had both inscisions, and so have more "damage" done to your body. Let's face it, women weren't meant to have babies that way.

Get some vitamin E oil or lotion, and once your scabs are gone, use that to moisturize and help the scar heal better. You'll always have a scar, but, think of it as a badge of honor.

To this day, even though I didn't give birth naturally, I consider myself an awesome mother. The nurses made it out to be a big deal, since many women think that they failed their kids, since having to have them by c-section. It's NOT a failur, or anything to be ashamed of, or any less sexy, IMHO. *hugs*

• Members

To this day, even though I didn't give birth naturally, I consider myself an awesome mother. The nurses made it out to be a big deal, since many women think that they failed their kids, since having to have them by c-section. It's NOT a failur, or anything to be ashamed of, or any less sexy, IMHO. *hugs*

Whoa, people think negatively of c-sections?! My younger sister was born via C-Section and then she ended up having one herself, both emergencies (Heather had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck and her daughter's heart rate was dropping and they had to get her out.) I think it's just as hard of a way to give birth and I give MEGA props to any one who went through this! I knwo TYger was giving props too, but I just never knew anyone thought that! Like that a c-section could make you any less of a mother?! As if! Rock on C-Section Mamas! Be proud of your scars! Send anyone who disagrees my way! :)

• Members

In my experience it wasn't onlookers so to say that thought that it was the women themselves. I had a friend that fought with the doctor when he decided to do a c-section on her. She told him she would not do it that way as it is not right and that she was taking the easy way out. To me you brought a life into the world that unto itself is amazing no matter how it is done.

• Members

No one is going to see my scars except me and my hubby. And I don't feel like any less of a mother because I had a section. I did not have a section by choice, but it had to be done in order to save both of our lives, and I don't feel guilty about that. What I still feel guilty about is that my body failed me, in turn I failed her, when it came to protecting her and keeping her safe and healthy. I have learn to accept that it was not my fault, but that doubt is always there.

Yes, I meant that some women actually do feel like they're not "as good of a mother" if they can't deliver naturally, and yes, if they can't breastfeed their babies. It happens, and there's not much changing a woman's mind once the "guilt" sets in. It's very hard to suppress thousands of years of instinct, and what you're suppose to do.

My personal philosophy is that, in my case, I had to deliver her via c-section. Most people think it's due to my back, which IS bad, but, it's due to my having herpes, and I didn't want to risk her being blind. So, a bit of scarring, the occassional twitch of pain in my back where I got my shot, is much better than having her blind, and feeling that guilt all my life. So, I personally never doubted my decision, & neither did my hubby. As long as she's happy & healthy, that's all that I care about. :)

Yes, I meant that some women actually do feel like they're not "as good of a mother" if they can't deliver naturally, and yes, if they can't breastfeed their babies. It happens, and there's not much changing a woman's mind once the "guilt" sets in. It's very hard to suppress thousands of years of instinct, and what you're suppose to do.

My personal philosophy is that, in my case, I had to deliver her via c-section. Most people think it's due to my back, which IS bad, but, it's due to my having herpes, and I didn't want to risk her being blind. So, a bit of scarring, the occassional twitch of pain in my back where I got my shot, is much better than having her blind, and feeling that guilt all my life. So, I personally never doubted my decision, & neither did my hubby. As long as she's happy & healthy, that's all that I care about. :)

• Members

Sorry I've been out of contact for awhile or would have added some commentary before now.

Regarding the mode of delivery - some women do "beat themselves up" if they have a c-section. They had a picture in their mind regarding how the pregnancy and delivery would go and if the reality is different they struggle with "their failure". The reality is that what every mother, father and doctor wants is a healthy happy baby and a healthy mom. If that means a c-section, an early delivery, time for the baby in the NICU, etc. then so be it. It is the ultimate outcome that one should focus on, not the pathway that got you there. (also a pretty good philosophy for life).

Unfortunately there are segments of our population/culture that see any medical intervention as bad since "child delivery is a normal process" - this type of commentary only adds to a woman's sense of "failure" if she is unable to deliver vaginally or breastfeed.

Angelkisses - neither your body or you failed is any way. Pregnancy is THE MOST DANGEROUS thing a woman does. This has been minimized in our society due to all the medical advances that have been made, however even with these advances women die due to pregnancy or delivery. The fact that you developed severe PIH early in the pregancy was your body's response to the hormonal and physiologic changes associated with pregnancy. It is a part of your genetics. This is just one of the many reasons pregnancy is so dangerous. No it doesn't happen to everyone and thank goodness it isn't super common, but I deal with it multiple times a year. If your doctor's hadn't acted and you had progressed to having seizures and/or dying - that would have been a failure. Getting your daughter delivered and into the NICU for appropriate care and getting you fully recovered with no additional complications or long term sequelee - that's a rip roaring success!!!!