Official Community Forums Home

Old Man's Permission To Marry

11 members have voted

1. 1. Did you ask your wife's father for permission before you proposed, or did your hubby ask?

• YES
    • NO
    • NO, due to the father being deceased or otherwise out of the picture

• Members

Did you ask your wife's (or fiancée's) father for permission before you proposed, or did your hubby (or fiancé) ask?

I am curious if people still do this and to what degree. In my case, the man was no longer living. No sure I would have thought to ask or not if he had been alive.

• Members

I didn't, but my 35 year old employee did just a few weeks ago.

• Review Team

Im not married yet but i was raised with the teaching that i would someday ask because it was respectful. My girlfriend however has informed me not to ask because her father doesnt like that kind of thing and hed probably make many painful jokes about it lol. So i probably wont.

• Members

I proposed first, then we both sat down with her parents and I kind of asked him but they allready knew what was going on. I had his approval the day I did some work around his place with out asking. It was a big chore and I just got out and did the job. This was way before me and my wife were an item. We were in high school then. I think actions speek louder than words.

No, neither husband asked permission. My father was deceased by the time I met my 2nd. Besides, if the first one had, I think my dad would've told him he'd better ask me since he never had to worry about me (I was the responsible one lol). :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am the only yes vote. Wow.

Hubby asked me first then couple days later we went to my parents house for dinner. I took my younger siblings down stairs and he asked them standing in the kitchen. While we were driving over I said "what if they say no". He said I don't care we are still getting married. So sweet

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I did ask my father-in-law. He wasn't thrilled with the idea. He thought we ought to finish college first, but knew I would treat his daughter with respect and I have surpassed his expectations. Because of that, he and I are really good friends. I was raised in the deep south and some traditions you just don't mess with. By the way before any one asks, no she is NOT my cousin.

• Like 1

Niether of my exes did so. Maybe that should've clued me in......... LOL