Official Community Forums Home

Little White Lies

square

• Members

Do people who tell little white lies think they go unnoticed indefinitely? Do they not realize people catch on after a while? Do they not realize they will lose credibility eventually, because of those little, harmless white lies?

• Members

Yes, I think everyone tell little white lies.... it's unavoidable. I will do it to avoid hurting someones self-esteem or feelings. Like those drapes you just had made and hung are great, when I'm thinking to my self, OMG those are horrible. Or what about when a friend is wearing a new dress and you are in a position to have to comment on it...... It will make her look fat, and is the wrong color for her but she loves it, so I'll say something like "cute new dress". I do have a friend who lies, or exagerates about everything. Basically, I take what she says with a gain of salt.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Yes, I think everyone tell little white lies.... it's unavoidable. I will do it to avoid hurting someones self-esteem or feelings. Like those drapes you just had made and hung are great, when I'm thinking to my self, OMG those are horrible. Or what about when a friend is wearing a new dress and you are in a position to have to comment on it...... It will make her look fat, and is the wrong color for her but she loves it, so I'll say something like "cute new dress". I do have a friend who lies, or exagerates about everything. Basically, I take what she says with a gain of salt.

I knew a guy like that 20 years ago. He lied about everything!! He'd be on the phone to his wife and lie thru his teeth to her. I'm not talking about little white lies really. I have told the little lies like you've just mentioned but I try not to. I was raised to tell the truth even when you're in trouble.

In a relationship with someone you think highly of I think you should tell the truth for the most part. The trouble with lying is if you can't keep track of your lies they have a nasty way of coming back to haunt you. This is something my Dad used to tell me often.

Where your friend who lies or exaggerates about everything goes I'd take her with a bag of salt. Like a 50 pound bag.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Yes everyone tells some type of lie. Most common are lies of omission. These lies are often a form of self protection.