Official Community Forums Home

Shooting in Orlando, FL, 6/12/16-My heart hurts

Tyger

My heart aches for those that were killed/wounded at Pulse this last Sunday. I won't go into the politics of it, so I guess it will be short, but I will say that any religion or organization that wants you to hate others for a reason that has nothing to do with you, is sad, and stupid.

Though I'm still pretty much In The Closet, and don't go out to gay bars much at all, this has made me think even more about not going. After reading some people's articles about gay bars, and finding a place to be ourselves and show affection, I can say that I don't want to go to one at this point due to the hatred. If any organization gets attention like this, it's not like they're going to stop doing such hatred towards people that have done nothing to them.

My GF and I were going to go to the Houston Pride next weekend, but, I have my daughter to think about, and what would happen if I died. Though I'm happy with my GF, and we're staying together, chances are we will be skipping it this year, sadly. We will celebrate in private, and maybe watch some of it on TV if it's on.

I think my heart would ache for any loss of life. And, though new to this side of LGBT, I've always been a supporter of any couple that wanted to be together. As long as the age limits are legal, it's a willing partnership, and they're happy, who's business is it to stick their noses (or guns) into it? It's equivalent of me being offended by seeing a say, a black man and white woman together, showing affection. They're not hurting me, they're happy, and loving. Just a few decades ago, they'd be ostracized, and harrassed, and possibly lynched.

Love is love, no matter who you are.

• Like 2

• Members

Love is love...

Tyger I honor your decision to stay home. There is also a part of me that is sadden with your decission. Having been to Pride events in Miami, Seattle, Key West, Chicago, SanDiego, and a few other cities I can say they are wonderful events. 

Love is love! 

• Like 2

• Members

Tyger I agree with you about not going, but as RC4Blue said it does sadden me that we even have to think like that.  :-(

• Like 1

On 6/17/2016 at 10:05 PM, krisleightate said:

Tyger I agree with you about not going, but as RC4Blue said it does sadden me that we even have to think like that.  :-(

I totally agree.

• Like 1

• Members

My boyfriend and I are supposed to go to NYC Pride this weekend. It is scary because of the shooting, plus the fact that police apprehended someone with weapons at L.A. Pride. We talked about it after these recent events, and decided to still go. It is scary what can happen, but we are still going! 

• Like 1

• Members

Go and enjoy. I encourage you to have a great time. To live in fear of what might happen is to be held captive by those who promote fear and hate. There will be a big police presence in NYC and they do a good job of making things as safe as can be. 

• Like 3

As my aunt stated, it doesn't make me a "bad gay" for not going, and I do have a daughter that relies on me for a happy future, so, we're not going. My sister is bi, and is going to Pride, but, since she doesn't have any kids, I don't know if she fully grasps why I'm not going, other than fear. Fear is only a small part of it. Houston does a great job with security as well, but, crazies aren't easily apprehended. My GF agrees with me, and actively encourages us to not go this year. She's been openly, yet discreetly gay for over 25 years. So, she's seen a lot more of this sort of thing first handed, so I definitely respect her opinion on it.

I went to my first Pride event last year, which was very fun, and it was literally the day after they passed the Marriage Equality Act. WOW! Was it crowded!!! LOL

• Like 2

• 6 years later...

It's been a bit since this has happened. More shootings have occurred.

We have gone out a few times since then. And we had fun.

Then COVID hit, and the options were all closed.

In the last year, we went out only 3 times to gay bars for safety reasons. Houston is a pretty open and accepting area.....for the most part. The one place we really enjoyed, changed its format a LOT (Hamburger Mary's), where the front was a hookah lounge (not my thing at all), and then, in the back, was the drag show, but they had a cheezy buffet style set up that reminded me of school cafeteria food. The performers were GREAT, but the food stunk.....Their drinks were still pretty strong though!

We honestly don't want to go out and risk too much.

I will say that, with my Jeep clubs, I have been in the Houston Pride parade 3x. We had a LOT of fun with those, and enjoyed the experience. 

My GF and I have never had any negative comments pointed towards us, though I'm not blind enough to think that there has never been any.....but we haven't had anything so blatant. And I'm hoping never to have it happen. The older I get, the more "fuck around and find out" I get LOL. I don't think I could keep my mouth shut......which I know could be dangerous....not sure for who though! LOL

• Members

My wife and I went to a gay pride parade and festival afterwards in Santa Fe new mexico. It was a fun time and everything seem safe and accepted.

• Like 1