Official Community Forums Home

Anti-depressants (ads) And Sex

telecom69

• Members

This topic has come up several times before. My gf is on Prozac, and in the end I still think this is a lot of her problems with her libido (she is getting better) and orgasm capability. She has tried Lexapro, but it didn't work for her at all. She was really off the deep end. So, she is convinced Prozac is for her. I'm trying to convince her to try Wellbutrin (sp?). She is reluctant to try another AD. I'm wlll aware how anti-depressants effect sex with men and women. I was listening to a dating and sex show on the radio last night and the doctor on the show really made a big deal how ADs kill orgasm capability and sex drive, especially Prozac. My gf's best friend is on Prozac and she has no issues with libido or orgasm, and my gf wonders why. My gf is 45 yrs old and has been on Prozac (not sure of dosage) for about six years. I would like to hear from other women out there who are on Prozac and what it is doing to their sex life.

Thanks,

Telecom

• Members

Hiya Telecom, I am not on any pills but my best friend of 15years is on Prozac and has been for about 8years. I can tell you that before she was taking Prozac her sex drive and having O was not a problem at all. I asked her about this due to your post this morning, it made me call her. :) She said,"after about the first 3years of taking Prozac she was still having great Os, not anymore though, if she does have them, it is very hard for her to. It takes alot of stimulation,(clitoral stimulation). She believes that Prozac is the cause of her not having Os like she use to, but with her husband and alot of foreplay she is able to still have them. They just seem dont seem to be as good as they use to be.

Since every womens body is different, people are going to respond differently to the medication then others will. Could be maybe the dose is to high? Not sure to tell you the truth but your g/f is not alone I am sure on this issue. My best friend has talked to her Dr about it and that is one of the side effects to any AD drug. I would have her talk to her Dr and see what he has to say about it. There are other Ad medications yes but like my best friend your g/f swears by that pill.

I hope this helps a little and keep us posted!

• Members

Ok, so I don't really have much help to give, but it's funny to me that I came across this today since I just took my very first Wellbutrin today. So since I just started taking it today I don't have a lot of input yet but I didn't know if it would help you if I told you in a week or 2 what's happening with my status. I have had lots of difficulty with orgasm myself(in case you weren't sure by the name) and I am now convinced it is the fact that I have ADD. i was only diagnosed with it recently and just now getting meds for it. So I dont know anything about Prozac, but if you like I will fill you in later about how I do with Wellbutrin.

• Members

Howard,

Thank you for your concern. I have looked into the side effects of the Wellbutrin and sexual side effects are listed under "uncommon" side effects, so I am aware of it. And since my sex life is one of the main things I am trying to work on, if it is effected negatively, trust me, I will not continue this drug. My sex life is very important to me, I will not jeopardize it.

The reason I believe that the ADD is the cause of my problems with orgasm is my lack of focus, my mind wonders, I can't concentrate or stay focused on the task sometimes. Which is one of the major things that comes from the ADD. I have been working very hard at the whole orgasm thing, it's how I ended up here in the first place and why I got vibrators. They help but sometimes even they aren't enough.

• Members

Telecom,

God, I could write pages on this one and still not provide you with a good answer. I can only give you my experience.

Anti depressants most definitely effect libido and can just about completely kill it. But then again, so can post partum or any other depression for that matter. Trust me, been there, done that. I have taken Prozac, switched to Wellbutrin to help with sex drive and now I take a generic for Prozac called Fluxotene or something like that. I have found that this particular generic brand has been by far the best for me in regards to libido.

That being said, I have also recently turned 38 and now I am wondering how much of my varacious sexual appetite as of late is due to my age. I didn't think I could be any hornier than I was in my 20's but boy was I wrong - thank god! :D

I certainly didn't want to take anti-depressants but I also wanted to stay married and like myself again. I suffered almost a complete drop off sexualy but at least I could stand to be around myself. I just in the last year or so started taking the generic.

I also have to wonder how much having children played in my lack of sex drive. I think it can be a combination of things.

I think every person is different and reacts differently to different drugs - of any kind.

The best friend that she has in regards to this issue is a REALLY GOOD DOCTOR WHO WILL LISTEN TO HER CONCERNS AND ACTUALLY GIVE A SHIT THAT SHE IS COMPLAING ABOUT HER SEX LIFE. I can't tell you how many doctors are of the attitude, "well that's just one of the side effects, basically i can't help you any further. A good doctor CAN and will WANT to!

I think you might do well to research what Dr.'s Jennifer and Laura Bermann have to say on the issue. They have very good information. You can find their books on amazon, your book store and I'm sure they probably have their own website w/reference articles on it.

I really feel for your girlfriend, it's just a real pisser!

• Members
Telecom,

God, I could write pages on this one and still not provide you with a good answer. I can only give you my experience.

Anti depressants most definitely effect libido and can just about completely kill it. But then again, so can post partum or any other depression for that matter. Trust me, been there, done that. I have taken Prozac, switched to Wellbutrin to help with sex drive and now I take a generic for Prozac called Fluxotene or something like that. I have found that this particular generic brand has been by far the best for me in regards to libido.

That being said, I have also recently turned 38 and now I am wondering how much of my varacious sexual appetite as of late is due to my age. I didn't think I could be any hornier than I was in my 20's but boy was I wrong - thank god! :D

I certainly didn't want to take anti-depressants but I also wanted to stay married and like myself again. I suffered almost a complete drop off sexualy but at least I could stand to be around myself. I just in the last year or so started taking the generic.

I also have to wonder how much having children played in my lack of sex drive. I think it can be a combination of things.

I think every person is different and reacts differently to different drugs - of any kind.

The best friend that she has in regards to this issue is a REALLY GOOD DOCTOR WHO WILL LISTEN TO HER CONCERNS AND ACTUALLY GIVE A SHIT THAT SHE IS COMPLAING ABOUT HER SEX LIFE. I can't tell you how many doctors are of the attitude, "well that's just one of the side effects, basically i can't help you any further. A good doctor CAN and will WANT to!

I think you might do well to research what Dr.'s Jennifer and Laura Bermann have to say on the issue. They have very good information. You can find their books on amazon, your book store and I'm sure they probably have their own website w/reference articles on it.

I really feel for your girlfriend, it's just a real pisser!

Thanks for everyone's feedback, it helps alot. My gf was taking 20mg\day Prozac up until about eight monhts ago, and then went to 10mg\day to see how that would do. During this 10mg period, her libido seemed better and sex has been improving. Yesterday she told me she has been feeling more depresseed and often hating everything. So, about a month ago she went back to 20mg\day. I'm a very upbeat and positive person, so dealing with someone I love with this depression and drug is difficult and frustrating in and out of the bedroom. I try to deal with any depression I may experience with a good diet and lots of exercise, and so far that has worked, and God I've been thru a shit load (divorce with wife cheating, mutiple family deaths, drug addicted daughter, mental health issues with son, and others) in my personal life over the last two years. I just try to remember to not take her depression and effects personal and give her the most loving support I can, and not pressure her sexually. I'm concerned her libido will become even worse now that she is back on 20mg.

How do those who have a significant other deal with their loved ones depression in and out of the bedroom?

Telecom