Official Community Forums Home

Bdsm Conference

Mike_d

• Members

I recently found out some friends are headed to a BDSM conference/workshop. I was wondering if anyone had been to one and what their thoughts were. How did it go, what were some of the things you did, ect. Any info would be great, oh and where did you go (city/state) and how much did it cost?

• Members

Do we have some interest in exploring BDSM Michael???

I used to work at a DOM/sub club in Chicago many, many, many moons ago. As such, I was allowed and encouraged to attend a BDSM seminar and training session. The one I went to was in LA and it was WILD to say the least.

There are people selling every item you could possibly dream of for bondage - whips, chains, leather, electro stimuli - you name it, they had it there.

The Professional Doms had their own booths - little cards to hand out if they were accepting new "clients."

There were Dungeon masters - meaning people who would build you your own special dungeon. Custom made shackles, chains, moving beds, restraint systems galore. That was the most interesting part.

There were every possible kind of person there - DOMS, subs, regular people in business suits - anyone and everyone was represented. There was no end or surprise to who you would find there.

Also, every fetish you could possibly think of was represented there - fecal lovers, horse play, you got it.

There were seminars available at this one - for the new DOM, or people who wanted to become a sub. Very interesting and stimulating.

I believe the cost for this one was around $2,000, but it was a 3-day, and that price included the training seminars and access to the non-public realms.

If anyone is interested in this sort of thing, I know Vegas and Chicago are regular hosts to such things - but I have not been in many years, so I can not tell you when the next one coming up is. I am sure you could google it.

Mikayla

• Members

Ok, and what were the "seminars" like? Were they roundtable discussions or hands on with your sub or did you just watch the teaching Dom and his sub? What about for the subs? Were they handed over and "taught" to submit before having their partner/Dom learn to take the reigns?

• Members

Well, the one I attended had seminars on proper bondage (how to tie knots, how to restrain without hurting), one for the DOM's - how to act, scenarios, etc., one was on whipping and flogging - where to hit to cause pain and not hurt a gentleman's private spots.

No roundtable here. There were a few demonstrations, but nothing too sexual - at least no actual sex. There was not actual teaching of a sub on how to be a sub - more like DOM training. There were a lot of subs on leashes walking or crawling around though.

Did that answer your question?

Kayla

I think going to one would be a blast!! I'm not into BDSM really. But I do like blindfolds and light bondage. But just to go see one, for the experience, would be cool, IMO.

It never hurts to learn about something new.

• Members

Great topic!!! I would love to attend one, learn new things!! I think I would have a blast, I wonder if they even hold those here in this state?? As far as I know we don't even have a club like that. Time for me to do some research.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

You'd be surprised how much of this stuff is probably already going on in your local areas. I live in Indianapolis and there is a good sized conference held here each year. You'd never know about it, unless you are active in the local "community". This is to keep the place safe for attendees and so that you don't have people just crashing in on the events. Typically, you have to reserve your spot at the convention, then details are released to you.

Additionally, local communities usually have a monthly "munch" or "slosh" which allows people active in the community to get together and have dinner/drinks/etc. I know my local one usually also has a guest speaker at such events. So you not only get to meet people who have interests similar to your own, but you also get to learn about new things that you may never have thought of exploring!

If you are wanting to get more involved in your local community and don't know where to begin, I would suggest doing a search on yahoo groups. Many local communities use groups like yahoo to communicate events and it is a good way to learn more about the community at large. Good luck on your quest!

Cat

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Even here in the Bible Belt there are groups in Tulsa and OKC dedicated to the lifestyle. Although some are GLBT, there are hetero and couple groups also. The even ts that I saw the last time I look involved workshops , seminars, picnics, etc.... that are set up to teach safe and responsible play. Though I've not been to any I intend to one day. Look in your local Yahoo Groups. One of ours is called Diverse Pathways. I found it under the state area. You'll have to do a bit of research to find yours but I'll bet there is one near you!!!