Official Community Forums Home

Massage Help

thurisas

• Members

Well, here's the deal. My wife absolutely loves rubs and massages of most any kind. She probably thinks to the contrary due to the fact that she rarely gets them, but I actually like giving them to her as well. The problem? After literally a few minutes my hands start to cramp up. I've tried to push through the pain and I've tried using massage oils on her, tried dry, and tried just plain rubs with light pressure. I seem to cramp up just the same. I personally don't care for using massaging aids because I think part of the thrill for both us is my hands on her body. We have tried some massagers in the past and they just don't seem to work out so well. So I guess I'm asking for suggestions to help get my hands some staying power.

Thurisas.

• Members

I think you mistook me, Howard. I have no troubles using toys and am actually becoming more proficient with them with every use by the explosive sounds my wife makes and the way her body can't seem to be still. I was actually talking about body massages. Like I said, after a few minutes, my hands seem to cramp up. It's possible it is a circulation problem, I suppose, and talking to my doctor might just be helpful. I'd pretty well thought that practice would get me through it but the ache is enough so, and my hands become so stiff that, it's hard to want to do that. Thanks for the input, though.

Thurisas.

• Members

OK, just because his hand cramps up DOESN'T mean that he has a circulation issue! When I first started giving massages to my hubby, my hands were good for maybe 5 minutes and then I was done. My hubby rubs my feet almost every night, and he has gotten able to do it for an hour - but in the beginning, it was maybe 5-10 minutes. When you massage someone, your hands are getting used in a different way than normal. You are using your fingers and palm and pressing at unusual angles - it takes time to build up a tolerance to this pain.

Also, hand cramping doesn't necessarily mean some horrible circulatory issue - it can be as simple as CARPAL TUNNEL! This is such a widespread issue now with increased computer use - and some people do not even notice that they have it until they wake up and their hands are ASLEEP. I have CTS, and now that I am pregnant, I wake up all the time in pain because the increased blood flow in my body due to baby is causing more pressure on the nerve that is affected by CTS. I am sure I couldn't give a long massage now to save my life. I would assume if it was anything, that was probably it!

Don't be alarmed by Howard's impending doom suggestions - but if you find that anything he has said rings true - then you may want to have it looked at. Better safe than sorry!

• Members

Dear God - Howard makes it sound like you will be dead in a week. Mikayla and I have been together for over 10 years now and when we started dating i rubbed her feet and back. I suffered the same as you are describing but over time you build the muscles in your hands and forearms and as that happens your endurance increases as well. Massaging requires movements that you don't typically do with your hands and it works many muscles harder than they are used to.

My blood is basically caffeine and I now rub Mikayla's feet, hands, legs, back. . . sometimes for two hours now that she is pregnant. So don't pour out the coffee. Just start out for a few minutes a foot or something and do that for a few weeks and just keep increasing periodically. Also, don't knead so hard. Rub or massage with the base of your hand or your knuckles. Switch it up and the feeling is good for her and it saves your hands. Plus, you will need those hands for other things after the massage.

Trust me - The fact that you are thinking enough of her to massage her will get you a lot of Brownie points.

As Mikayla noted, if there is a possibility that you may suffer from Carpal Tunnel then what i said above won't work.

When giving massages, my husband & I get hand cramps too. It's fairly normal. I spend a lot of time on the computer (duh), and sometimes my hands ache. But so far, not badly.

If you notice when a massage therapist gives a massage, they are actually working their whole body while doing a massage. Pushing with their legs, upper torso, and arms. The fingers knead, poke, and wiggle, but the pressure comes from elsewhere. One of the key elements is that they are STANDING. Hence why they can go over an hour for massaging someone, and then after about a 10 min. break, take another client. Which is probably why you're kind of worried that you can't massage very long. You know that there are people out there that do this for a living, right?

Now, they go to school to learn proper techniques. But I would suggest, that if you want to do a nice massage for your wife, do it while standing up, use your legs, abs, shoulders, and arms to push and apply pressure, as I mentioned before. It may not be as "romantic" as laying beside her, but there are other ways to make it sexy and sweet as well. Calming music, candles/incense, using lotion specially designed for massages with a light scent....so on.

I hope that helps.