Official Community Forums Home

Birth Control Question

Kiwi

Hello Everyone,

I guess this question is mostly directed towards the women here (or a male could ask his girlfriend or wife.) My question is on birth control and side effects. I'm now considering getting myself on "The Pill." My question is, is there one brand of pill you would really recommend? I'm really looking for a pill that won't cause weight gain...that is one side effect that bothers me. Do any of you girls take a pill that hasnt seemed to effect your weight at all?

Thanks for your time. It is greatly appreciated! :)

• Members

It really depends on the person weather or not they gain weight. Although I've never personaly been on the pill, I've been on the patch and now Im on the ring and have never gained weight, and I've been on BC since February. Another side effect for birth conrtol is also loosing a few pounds as well. But once again, it really depends on the person.

I suggest you visit this link, they really give good information on the pill....

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/birth-con...ol/the-pill.htm

hope this helps a little!

As far as birth control, you need to go to a doctor, or NP, like at a FamilyPlanning clinic. They can help guide you to the type of birth control that will be best for your needs. All forms have some sort of side-effects listed. But, not everyone experiences them. Hence why they say "possible side-effects".

Since I was 16, I was on several different types of pills, and never had a problem with weight gain. But, I was very young and very active too. This is a big factor in weight gain. I had to switch every so often because some hormone would build up in my system, giving me some slight medical issues (such as migraines) that I hadn't experienced previously.

When on any sort of birth control, do so under the careful advise of your doctor. Make sure you learn all about the form of birth control you are on, or would like to be on, and tell your doctor. S/he can help decide if that one is right for you and your body chemistry.

• Members

I have been on pretty much every birth control under the sun. There are tons out there and depending on your body chemistry certain ones have worked better for me than others, I am on Yaz right now, i have no issues with it really, it has 24 birth control pills and 4 sugar pills, so it can shorten your period. I haven't experienced any weight gain, but these are just my personal experiences with the drug. Like i said i have been on a bunch of diff. kinds if my doctor suggested something and it didn't agree with me we would try something different!

You really need to just think about what you are looking for, you mentioned something that is not going to make you gain weight; but what about how many times you are going to need to remember to take it ( if you are forgetful try the patch or one of those insert-able rings they have now) There are so many options, do your research and talk to you doctor; if you don't like something try something else!

Good Luck!!

Emm

• Members

I have been on birth control pills, a shot that you get every three month, and the patch. With the shot I retained a lot of fluid and started loosing hair. My friend had none of those probelms with the same method. As the others have stated discuss your concerns with your Dr. You may have to try more that one to find the right one for you.

Good luck

• Members

I have been getting the depo shot for almost 9 years now, I was on it before my 3rd daughter was born too, so a total of about 13 years or so. LOVE IT!!!

I have no ill side effects, and don't have periods which is a big one for me. I would have horrible mood swings and cramps and back aches and I have none of those now.

I had a hard time with the pill, I would get nauseated by them and that's never fun. I know now they have better ones on the market, I haven't taken the pill for about 14 years maybe.