Official Community Forums Home

Prozac And Sex Drive\libido In Women

• Members

My girlfriend went to the doctor today to talk to her about her sex drive (or lack of) and getting on an alternative anti-depressant to Prozac, which she has been taking for a couple of years. The doctor really bashed Prozac and the negative side effects is has to both a man and women's sex drive\libido. She put her on somthing else to see how it does. It was my pushing her to get her to go see a doctor about it that finally made her go. I did a lot of research (the engineer in me) on Prozac, and most of the information about how is can negatively effect sex drive\libido was unanimous. Not all the time, but a good majority.

I still can't understand why so many people are on anti-depressants. I have so much shit going on in my life now that I'm the perfect candidate for them, but lots of cycling and weight training seems to keep me sane.

Does anyone have any personal experiences or know someone who got off Prozac and went on a different anti-depressant, and how anti-depressants effected their sex drive? Thx...

• Members

I am personally surprised she has been on Prozac for so long, but that is my opinion. BTW, you need to know that during this transition from one antidepressant to another is going to be tough and she is going to be off kilter for a while. Don't take any outbursts or negativity personally, just know that it is her body adjusting and it might take a good 4-6 weeks for her to adjust.

What did the doctor change her to? Wellbutrin is a bad sex drive killer too.

update:

Oh, I just re-read your post. My daughter's father is on antidepressants due to Bipolar disorder. It is a chemical imbalance that just made him turn into a total A-hole, who was violently angry at times (and this is from a very nonviolent person). Yes, I was scared at times and he never hit me or the children, but there are couple of nice holes in the walls and door to remind him of how bad it was.

• Members
I am personally surprised she has been on Prozac for so long, but that is my opinion.  BTW, you need to know that during this transition from one antidepressant to another is going to be tough and she is going to be off kilter for a while.  Don't take any outbursts or negativity personally, just know that it is her body adjusting and it might take a good 4-6 weeks for her to adjust. 

What did the doctor change her to? Wellbutrin is a bad sex drive killer too.

update:

Oh, I just re-read your post.  My daughter's father is on antidepressants due to Bipolar disorder.  It is a chemical imbalance that just made him turn into a total A-hole, who was violently angry at times (and this is from a very nonviolent person).  Yes, I was scared at times and he never hit me or the children, but there are couple of nice holes in the walls and door to remind him of how bad it was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She put her on Lexapro. Yes, the doctor did say the transition can be difficult and is weening her off the Prozac and on to the Lexapro in a slow controlled process that will take about 4-6 weeks as you said.

• Members
She put her on Lexapro. Yes, the doctor did say the transition can be difficult and is weening her off the Prozac and on to the Lexapro in a slow controlled process that will take about 4-6 weeks as you said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Telecom,

If you re-read some of the last posts, I suggested that you check into Lexapro. I have been on it for about 2 months now, and seems to be working well. I hope it affects her in the same way. I do have to agree with one of the above mentioned, it will CERTAINLY be a while before she adjusts, and she might be a different person all together when it does kick in. Medications work in different ways, hopefully this Lexapro will be the answer.

Don't agree with the opinion that Wellbutrin is a sex drive killer. I suppose each person is different, but I was a sex monkey on that stuff. I quit taking it because of the insomnia. I couldn't go to sleep until midnight or 1 EVERY NIGHT, and woke up religiously at 4 a.m. bright eyed and bushy tailed. The problem was, I would get so tired during the day, a time that I was unable to sleep with a youngin (2 yo) at home.

Onto the not understanding antidepressents. My husband picks up and goes too. He has never understood the value of depression. Because he doesn't understand it, it is sometimes hard for him to be sympathetic. Depression is a REAL thing. Some people can deal with it, others can't. To some it is genetic, to some like me it is both genetic but also triggered over and over again by mishappenings in life. Although some serious therapy works well, medications are used to boost better feelings. For you it is working out, for women who feel like there is no time to rest or no time to "go to the gym" it becomes overwelming. You said you did a lot of research on the prozac thing, perhaps you should do a lot of checking into depression, bi-polar disease, skitzos (spell check), anxiety attacks and anything else associated in or about that area. The more you understand it, the better you will be able to be sympathetic to your gal's situation, and the better your relationship will be.

HIGH FIVE for the accomplishment of getting off Prozac.. I think this will make all the difference in the world! CONGRATS!

Glad to hear things working in a different direction for you... hope to hear better news each time I log on... Take care...

HM2

• Members

It has been my experience that after being on Lexapro for an extended period of time, the side effects were the same. Most anti-depressants have negative side effects. The point of being on them isn't to help the sex drive, it's to treat depression/anxiety.

M

• Members
It has been my experience that after being on Lexapro for an extended period of time, the side effects were the same. Most anti-depressants have negative side effects. The point of being on them isn't to help the sex drive, it's to treat depression/anxiety.

M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that all antidepressents CAN cause these things. However, ANY medication taken for an extended period of time can cause low labido. Lexapro is a safer one though, and not many readings about " woman on Lexapro blows up Federal building, News at 10" either, ya know?

ALSO, when my doctor put me on Lexapro, I asked him right then if it affected my sex drive, could we switch medications again? He informed me that you can take MANY medications to help with sex drive WHILE taking Lexapro. He said it would not hurt me in any way to take both. He told me that Lexapro has the LEAST amount of reported incidents of libido problems. Not that he is the MAC DADDY of Doctors, but I like and trust him...

Just keep an eye on her and her meds and see how changes occur, if in fact they even do.

Take care telecom.. I am chearing for ya doll.....

HM2