Official Community Forums Home

Need Help Finding Sex Therapist

cirrus20

• Members

I've been married for 20 years and over the last 8 years my wife has lost all desire for sex. We previously had a great sex life, but I think medications and hysterectomy surgery have taken their toll. My sole release is masturbation. But I wonder if a qualified sex therapist might help. The question is how to find one? Help?

Well, if it were me, the first step would be to call your regular doctor, or even your wife's OB/GYN, and see if (S)he knows of any good therapists that they'd recommend. Or, look in the phone book, find therapist, call around, ask credentials, and even how long they've had the degree/practice, and so on. Many will give the first session free or discounted. Or, you could use your computer as a phone book, to find local therapists too.

Best wishes!!

• Members

Another resource, depending on where you work, is to call an Employee Assistance Program if your company offers one. The companies that do this are subcontracted and have nothing to do with your job. They're ways for companies to make you happier at home so you're happier and more productive at work. Anyway, I've seen many people use these services now and sometimes they can even get you a free first consultation. Just a thought.

Thurisas

• Members

The EAP Thurisas mentioned is one place to try, or check on your health insurance card for Behavioral Health (sometimes listed on the back under the number for Drug/Alcohol abuse) but they will have listings of counselors or therapists covered under your health plan.

However, those resources will not necessarily contain people who have been specifically trained in Human Sexuality issues. Sounds strange, but there is a VERY big difference between marriage counseling and sex counseling.

One resource to go to that will assure that you are being seen by someone that has specific and detailed training in sex therapy is www.AASECT.org. The American Association of Sexuality Educators Counselors and Therapists has a section on their site where you can search for a provider in your area. They CAN help.

Good Luck!!