Official Community Forums Home

Car Accident

nosleepnmesa

• Members

Well yesterday at 219pm I was pullin into my driveway with the kids in the back seat of the car. The front end of my car was in the driveway when a neighbor flew down the street and smacked into my car. We are all okay for the exception of a bruises on my shin. Her car has a tiny dent in the front clip and my whole frame of my car is twisted and the insurance company may just total it out. What I cant understand is why when my front end was in my driveway why I got a ticket. I have NEVER In my life EVER had a ticket of any kind nor an accident, so confused. I guess in the state of Arizona it doesnt matter I am so mad it isnt funny. My hubby is even mader. Everyone including my adjuster said that with the damage to my vehicle there is no way she could have been doing 25mph she had to be doing at least 40 to twist my car up like that. So why did I get the ticket? Why did the officer not take a picture of the skid marks I did and the damage and the placement of the cars. Not sure if I should just wait for court and fight it or goto school? uggggggg :angry:

• Members

Many times it is where the impact on the vehicle being hit that determines fault. I know in maine that if you are hit anywhere in the front quarter panel of your car, it is deemed your fault because you were turning when traffic was obviously on-coming. So, if you were hit in the front of your car this shows you may have turned when you weren't supposed to. Personally, if the other car was travelling that fast, I think I would get a lawyer.

Randy.

Definitely fight it. The cop has to explain WHY you are getting a ticket. They can't just issue you one, with no explanation to you or on the ticket itself. I'd go with what Thurisas said, and get a lawyer. I'm glad y'all are OK though!!

• Members

Perhaps tango's POV would be more relevant here but it occurs to me that the cop may have thought that you were backing out of the driveway. You will have your day and should start your evidence collection immediately if you aren't happy with the assessment of the police. They are human and can be wrong. I'm glad you are all okay other than a few bruises. I hope it works out for you!

• Members

Update the insurance adjuster found the my motor mounts are broke to and the engine is turned. I have to love my insurance company they gave my one of their lawyers who is handling all this civil ticket stuff. They told me just to worry about my family and not about anything else regarding this accident. They did come out and take pictures of her skid marks a little bit ago. I am still pretty shaken up and call me a 2yr old I am afraid to drive :( . I am sure that will get better in time though. LOL Thank you all !!

• Members

Just my opinion but not only do you have a great ins. company who seems to care about you and your family above all else but your mindset while driving is a great one to have. That fear that you speak of is what makes better drivers. You have a tendency to look ahead of you and see where things may happen and adjust your own driving to be able to adjust for these possibilties. Don't change your outlook in that manner. Use it to your advantage.

• Members

What insurance do you have? I want to switch to them. They appear to actually put some effort into their customers!

As far as what's going on... I agree that it may have been a mistake on the officer's fault. Is the girl who hit you going to come clean and say she did hit you, and it was her fault? I know I would. I'd hate it, but I don't want someone who did nothing wrong getting trouble for my mistake.

• Members

Awesome insurance company!!! They are treating you like you should be treated. I'd be interested to know who you are insured with too.

Were any of the neighbors home that may have seen or heard something? Even ones a block or 2 down in the direction she was coming from may be able to verify she was speeding.

I'm glad you and your family are alright. Being in an accident is a very scary thing!!! After my accident I was afraid to drive and avoided the area where the accident happened for a while but I eventually got through it. It has made me a more defensive driver, watching out for the other drivers that may not be paying attention.

• Members

I agree, you have an excellent insurance. I'm glad you and yours are okay. When you said how scared you were to drive, that is perfectly understandable. Please be sure and notice if it starts interfering with you average daily living stuff ( like driving or riding in a car). Being in a traumatic event like that can cause problems mentally. I was in a wreck almost 7 years ago, and about 5 years ago, I got to the point that I couldn't even get in a car. I walked everywhere I went. Finally went to the doctor and they put me on a mild anti-depressant/anti-anxiety. Just so you know and can be aware of it. :)

• 2 weeks later...