Official Community Forums Home

I Love This Site But.....

Shariana

Guest eminatic

well a mac would stop hackers from getting information off MY computer but not from getting information out of insecure websites. (although for me getting a mac is absolutely out of the question, even if i had the money i would not get one)

im not old enough to get a "real" credit card. im working on it but apparently the rules have changed like..within the last 3 years. my bank told me "we can't give you a credit card unless you already have a credit card" :huh: but where do i get the FIRST one? apparently not from a bank.

i've bought the prepaid ones before but you have to pay extra and MAN they are a huge pain in the ass to use online, for some websites it just wont go through. the ones you can reload get closed if you dont use it often enough, and then you lose all the money you had on it.

• Members

I definitely recommend doing a scan with Spybot and Ad-Aware. Not all malware scanning programs are created equal, and one program simply will NOT cover everything.

eminatic, what program are you using? Both the sites you ordered from should be secure, and the fact that it has happened to you twice makes me suspicious that, although you are scanning, there might be something you're not catching.

Guest eminatic

i've been using ad-aware (and AVG for general virus scanning)

also it hasn't happened twice consecutively; the first time was some years ago and my computer has crashed and been rebooted since then (i had to call Dell and uninstall windows and then redo everything <_< )

ive been thinking about downloading search and destroy also but have been putting it off just because my computer is already so clogged and running so damn slow :lol:

[EDIT]

ok i just ran another scan using ad-aware and it told me my system was clean. i downloaded S&D and am in the middle of scanning- apparently there is still ALOT of stuff ad-aware missed D: im only a little more than halfway through.

• Members

Yep! Best to have both programs for precisely that reason :)

• Members

Wow so many responses! I have spybot and adaware.... JUST did a scan 3 days ago....

I'm using firefox because IE was giving me too many issues.... I'll have to check again and have my father fix it when I get home from school if all else fails. Thanks for the imput all! I really really appreciate it! ^.^

• Members
And... most importantly... get a Mac!

This man knows what he's talking about ;)

• Members

I've always had trouble with Macs.... my dad would shoot himself before he got one for me... lol

I just redid my spyware.... it's lowered down a LOT! Got only one this time... so I guess it didn't catch everything.... >.>

Thanks for the help guys! ^.^ I really appreciate it!

Guest eminatic

haha well as much as mac users like to think they are superior the fact still remains that THE REAL WORLD RUNS ON PC

;)

also the big thing i dislike about macs is you must BUY a separate APPLE version of almost everything that you could otherwise have for free. i dont even like my ipod for that same reason. apple stuff only works with other apple stuff. <_<

Sharina,

If your computer is running slow, you have a lot more than just Spyware going on. If you up/download a lot of pics and/or music, those files take up A LOT of space. I recommend to all my friends, that, as soon as they have enough, burn the pics/music to CDs and then delete them off your computer. That way, it frees up a lot more space. Also, after a major amount of deleting and at least once a week, you should do a ScanDisk and then Defragment your computer to make sure it is able to access files more efficiently.

I usually go thru the pics I have gotten off my camera within a couple of days of uploading them, delete the ones that I don't even want to print off, due to some reason or another, and I only keep the songs on the computer that I am really wanting to listen too. Everything else gets burned. I burn pics to one disk, music files to another.

• Members

Search and Destroy is AWESOME for killifying malware. Yay to whomever suggested it. <3 My school uses it.

• Members

Your digs on Apple may be justified... but are you really complaining that you have to BUY software instead of getting free pirated stuff? Gee...

One thing I will say... I have no idea what "malware" is and don't need to buy anti-virus either.

I don't know when you used a Mac last, but if you're gonna try to sell me on Vista... you'll have your work cut out for you. And get ready to say goodbye to any other Windows versions.

And as for the whole "the world runs on PC" thing... True. But I'm not running Target retail software, or Doing Factory Automation... anything else works better and easier on the Mac, and my emails, docs and photos all get to other machines without any problems.

Don't buy the Gates propaganda...

Guest eminatic

i was not talking about buying software as opposed to getting pirated software. i was talking about buying software as opposed to already having the software on default with they system. also having software that you can upgrade without having to throw it away and buy a new version. or the whole computer for that matter...

• Members
Your digs on Apple may be justified... but are you really complaining that you have to BUY software instead of getting free pirated stuff? Gee...

One thing I will say... I have no idea what "malware" is and don't need to buy anti-virus either.

I don't know when you used a Mac last, but if you're gonna try to sell me on Vista... you'll have your work cut out for you. And get ready to say goodbye to any other Windows versions.

And as for the whole "the world runs on PC" thing... True. But I'm not running Target retail software, or Doing Factory Automation... anything else works better and easier on the Mac, and my emails, docs and photos all get to other machines without any problems.

Don't buy the Gates propaganda...

haha. So true.

• Members

Regardless of the OS that you have on your system www.protonic.com is a great resource to check out AV and other freeware programs. These guys charge nothing and they will check out any freeware offers for spyware, malware and OS conflicts. In the section where they talk about all of the problems that they encountered you can see first hand how to prevent the problems!

• Members

I have never had any pop ups from this site. You might have to check your settings.

• Members

Don't ask me why I noticed this. I got a PM from aomeone a while ago and almost didn't notice it. I was scrolling to the bottom of the forum after marking all read. After a read and reply it dawned on me that "My Assistant" didn't fade down from the top center of the window. Then I remembered this Q. Though it's not exactly a pop-up, more of a slide down. IDK if that may have been some of what you referred to here.

• Members

I use fire fox. I NEVER get pop ups here. Every once in a wile one will sneak through while browsing search engines but very rarely.

You can download fire fox for free. check it out.

bugs