Official Community Forums Home

I Love This Site But.....

Shariana

• Members

SO MANY POPUPS!

I don't know why, but they are coming like the apocalypse!

elearners.com

publisher's clearning house

auto insurance

spyware protection (twice)

I mean, come on! I'm in college, don't have a car yet, have spyware protection, and KNOW that publisher's is a one in a million chance, so why bother?

Does anyone else have this problem on this site? I love the site, but it gets bothersome.... trying to write something and then you get a popup so you have to start over.... O.o'

• Members

Nope. Sorry. Haven't had one actually. Maybe you need to change your internet settings so you have better cookie protection. You can find it in your internet options.

• Members

You might want to check for malware, it sounds like the problem might be that you have a preexisting malware program on your computer and the content of this site is what's triggering it to send you pop-ups. I don't think the pop-ups are coming from the site itself.

Guest eminatic

ive never had any popups from this site, but my bank just notified my that my credit card number has been stolen with suspicious activity beginning right around the time i started shopping here and one other store. i have a hunch that it was the other store though.

• Members

I doubt it was TT, they have secure shopping protection -all numbers and such are totally encrypted!

As for the popups - what internet provider do you use? If you are on MSN for example, sometimes there are more pop-ups in general. I would also check for cookie stopper and spam blocker on your computer!

• Members

I don't get pop-ups either and I don't even see anything where my browser tells me that it's blocking them as well. I think you have some malignant software on your computer.

Randy.

• Members

No popups here.

• Members

Going on being here two years now and I've never had a pop-up either. Sorry! Glad you brought it up, though -- hopefully now you can fix it easily. :)

Thanks to all of the members who posted. As stated previously, we don't have any popups on our site. It sounds like you have some adware on your computer. Maybe some members could post some links to free software to clean this mess up for you. As a side note, becareful downloading free screensavers, icons, games, etc, as many of these programs make their money by also installing adware on your computer.

Rob

SO MANY POPUPS!

I don't know why, but they are coming like the apocalypse!

elearners.com

publisher's clearning house

auto insurance

spyware protection (twice)

I mean, come on! I'm in college, don't have a car yet, have spyware protection, and KNOW that publisher's is a one in a million chance, so why bother?

Does anyone else have this problem on this site? I love the site, but it gets bothersome.... trying to write something and then you get a popup so you have to start over.... O.o'

Can't say I have pop ups on here going on over 2 yrs now. Go to your internet tools, check your pop up blocker to see if it's enabled.

• Members

I believe FireFox has a popup blocker add on you can download. Mozilla Firefox

It does seem like an internal program giving you pop ups.

This program is usually pretty good with catching stuff... Spybot Search & Destory

• Members

not sure what we use but dont have any pop-ups here.

I will ask anton when he gets home and let you know. (he's a computer tech)

• Members

I use the pop-up blocker with my Google toolbar. I haven't been here that long but have never had a problem associated with this site unless it was being revamped and it was never anything like pop-ups. A lot of the freebie associated ads do attach different things to your system though. It took a while to break my gf of her habit of clicking links to free music, groceries, make money BS ads and such. This site is definitely worthy of reccomendation as far as cleanliness of malicious adwares and such. Google also has a widget called a keyboard scrambler which I use that scrambles all login info and CC type info. Worthy of a look for sure!

Guest eminatic
I doubt it was TT, they have secure shopping protection -all numbers and such are totally encrypted!

yeah, but the other site was the Southwest Airlines website lol. i always do a spyware scan on my computer before placing an online order. this is the second time this has happened to me and it just makes me nervous about shopping online (my credit card is my atm card and is linked to my entire account!) im thinking of opening a 2nd checking account so that if it happens again, at least the person will not have access to my entire life savings.

• Members

There is always the preloaded cards available at most major outlets. A $25 does cost, I think, $5 to setup but you can always get the gold card which has only the setup fee with no additional transfer fees to reload them! And they do link through PayPal also!

• Members

Never a pop-up.

Don't ever use your savings/checking account to shop online... start a low limit card at a good rate just for online.

And... most importantly... get a Mac!

• Members
And... most importantly... get a Mac!

This I do agree with. I don't have one but I rarely see where they have been hacked.! Good advice blissful!