Official Community Forums Home

Tattoos

• Members

So as teh calender speeds towards my next tattoo date I'm worried: Do guys like a girlw ho's heavily tattooed? Right now I only have three but come July I'll be sitting for my first sleeve, It's going to be Ivy that starts at teh base of my neck (possibly on my neck) and wraps down my arm. So when is enough too much for guys? I mean, I take care of myself and and I get them touched up so they don't ever get faded and they all have meaning to me. So is this a bad thing? IS mom right and the more tattoos I get the harder it is going to be for me to find a guy permently? Or is it a bit of a turn on and I'm going to be fending off weirdos, freaks and motorcycle gangs for the rest of my life?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just my opinion but some people go too far. Spur of the moment tats are probably one of the worst kind! Those that a person plans and have significant meaning to their owner are just that. Screw everyone else. It's hard to guess as to the types that you may attract but they can be easily fended off. I've noticed that a lot of people are intrigued by them as well as their meanings and of course the old do they hurt questions.

• Members

I would just add that you really think about how you're going to feel about it way down the road. You're not gonna be young and firm forever and I have to admit when I see an older woman with the saggy, baggy, shoe leather skin all covered in tats and piercings, I just find it really gross and sad. (sorry, that's just me)

• Members

You should always take in to consideration anything that is permanent on your body. What is too much I believe is in the eye of the beholder. To each is own.

Have you ever seen the Suicide girls? There are some VERY HOT women tattooed up on that site!

It all depends on the guy really. My Mom HATED the fact that I got a tattoo, and when I got my second one, I hid it for over a year (and I was 28!!). Now, yes, some people go TOO far and have too many, for my personal tastes anyway. Some men don't care, some do. Will it be impossible? Not hardly. Plus, what you're describing, can be hid by hair and a shirt.

What people should try to keep in mind when debating a tattoo, and yes, you should debate it, is:

Is this something I'm going to like a long time?

Don't do names of BF's or SO's, or fads. All those things can disappear, and you will regret it. Make sure that this is something that is a personal preference, love, or something really close to your heart, something that sybolizes YOU, not a fad. IMHO, the only names that people normally don't regret tattooing on their body are their own, nicknames that they've had forever, names of those who have passed on, or their kid's names. Plus, at 70 yrs old, are you REALLY gonna want that tattoo of a Care Bear on you? Probably not.

Will the placement of the tattoo hinder my ability to find a job?

Let's face it, when you are applying for a job, you are selling yourself and are going to be a representative of that company. Many won't hire people with facial piercings and/or visible tattoos. If your tattoos are placed in areas that are easily covered, then you should have no worries. Just remember not to wear clothes that expose the tat until you're SURE that it's ok with the business (usually, that issue's covered in a company handbook. If not, ask).

How will I handle the inevidible questions and comments?

The more positive you stay on explaining your choice, the better accepting people will be. Yes, I usually say "who cares what others think?", but, let's face it, people WILL comment. You should be ready for it, and, again, don't feel like you have to defend yourself, but, you can turn it around to be a positive. For example, my friend's daughter (who's 22) got a BIG tattoo of a fairy and flower on her back. Her mother hated the idea. Now, this girl's tat was easily hidden under a shirt, or shown off with a tank top. Her mom, my friend, was like "can you BELIEVE she did that??" I told her that, yes, I could. And that I had 2 tats too. She was dumbfounded that *I* had a tattoo, and I showed it to her. For some reason, she took comfort in that. And, I make a joke about it. I have a Firebird on the small of my back. I tell ppl that, when I flip up my shirt, I can flip people the bird from behind!!! :P

Your mother may or not like tattoos. It sounds like she doesn't. Well, it's not her decision to make. And, you shouldn't base your personal choices on how a man may or may not take it. Whatever YOU decide to do with YOUR body is YOUR decision, not anyone else's. And, yes, I finally DID explain that to my mother when she caught a peek of the tattoo I was hiding from her. It was several years ago, and the more she sees it now, she now asks questions, instead of critiquing.

• Members

Well luckily genetics are in my favor as far as getting old goes, I take amazing care of my skin so hopefully no leather skin for me. I'm gonna sag, it happens, but well I don't think it's going to be that bad, and I plan on dying before i get old :) I always put a ton of thought into all of my tattoos. I never rush into any of them. My butterfly is that i can always change, and teh black eye'd susan is a tough plant that always cbounces back, like me! My henna reminds me that I don't have to grow up and I'm always going to be a kid at heart. The mheart on my back is to remind me that love is worth waiting for (hence the banner "worth teh wait") and Ivy is my celtic Zodic which is me to a T. Look it up, seriously it really is me, I'ma new moon Ivy. It's not going to be a solid sleeve, but i've put a lot of thought into it and it'll be a remind to be who I am no matter what people want. Which is definitely a reminder I need on a daily basis. But I'm just concerned because the more I get teh more people look at me funny. Like i'm some kind of hoodlum. which is way not me. I dunno. i'm just scared that I'm ging to scare "the one" off because i love my body art and wouldn't change for anything. I blame my mother.

• Members

I want a tattoo and I'll tell you why - to me it's a smybol of total independence. My husband can't believe I'd even entertain the thought - but he also knows I do what I damn well please - and I'm planning on getting one when I turn 50 (2009). I'm sure it will be a cat - since that's the one thing that has always been in my life - and it will be hidden most of the time - because of work.

I say - your body, your decision - and any guy worth keeping would love all of you - tattoo's and all! HOWEVER - sounds like you have some doubts - maybe you ought to think about it longer.....just an observation!

• Members

Tyger~

You were posting at the same time as me! :) I always debate about my tattoos, even when I'm commited and I have the appointment I worry if I still want it and I worry if it's teh right tattoo. It literally keeps me awake at nights but I have generally put so much thought into my art that I have yet to cancel an appointment.

Mom is to blame. She let me get my first tattoo at 13. Word to the Wise: NEVER EVER DO THAT! BUt she hates my tattoos and thinks i look like trash. I know this isn't true, but she says it any way. She has never once asked why I get what I get or how i decided on them.

My last tattoo is my first words, and probably my last. I warn against couple tattoos too. It's one thing to go with someone and get tattoos at teh same time, I did that once witha friend. It's another to go and get a tattoo to match someone. There is a reason they call it teh kiss of death.

As far as jobs go, I want to get back int theatre and as long as it doesn't glow in the dark i'll be fine. Fingers crossed in a year I'll be out of the current job and into one that is amazing and theatrical. :) If i get back in to theatre then everyone is tattooed and I'll fit right in. Plus the only one most people see is the one on my wrist, toss on a bracelet and it's gone. :) and i can usually convince people it's henna.

Male opinions are one that i've been concerned about for a while, I'm mean I'm not going to get anything lasered or stop getting tats because of it. If I need to cover them, I know how (thanks you makeup classes!) I just worry that I'm going to attract the wrong kind of guy, ya know?

Suzy

• Members

It's your body and any man that loves you for you will love you and your tats. That's just my opinion. But I personally do not like the sleeves on women. But again, just my thoughts.

Do what's right for you!

• Members
It's your body and any man that loves you for you will love you and your tats. That's just my opinion. But I personally do not like the sleeves on women. But again, just my thoughts.

Do what's right for you!

I knew a girl once ho got a sleeve just to get a sleeve, the art was amazing but i wanted to slap her. I hope that Ryan my artist will be able to do something cool with it, he always does. I'll make sure to get lots of pictures for you guys when it's done. Its definietly going to be a multipl apointment deal, I can only take so much. Is it wrong that I have a crush on my tattoo guy? Talk about gentle hands....

• Members

Sleeves, I think, should follow overall theme lines as well as meaning. I'm aiming for overall B&W. I'm looking to stay far distant from the 1% color that is allowable in this theme. So far the only color I have is the small bit of Red that was put at the tip of the scythe on my Reaper.

• Members

Suzy - just looked at your existing tats - LOVE them all....really cool.

• Members

I'm considered the blacksheep/bad example/trend setter in my family. First to pieerce my left ear, first to get a tat, first body piercing etc.... Mom doesn't like it but she understands why I push the envelope. She also knows that I won't hesitate to tell others, family or not, how the cow eats the cabbage. Their opinions mean NOTHING to me. And all who talk that trash end up with a child who follows my lead! FUCK 'EM AND FEED 'EM FISHHEADS is my theory. I run/ruin my life!!!!

• Members

Maybe "joke 'em if they can't take a fuck" would have worked better!

• Members
Maybe "joke 'em if they can't take a fuck" would have worked better!

No i kinda figure that's what you mean, I just had never heard that one before. I love my body art. I don't think I'll ever get anything on my face or hands, Can you imagine that pain? But i also wouldn't change anything. I just wanted a guys opinion.

My friend Giz on Tattoos:

Giz- You should spend the money on a Gucci purse.

Me- Why would I do that?

Giz because I'm saving up or a wallet, we could match.

Me- But it's so expensive.

Giz- I love that expensive shit.

Me- Giz, a) I don't carry a purse, and B) i work at a granite plant, my verison of expensive is Sears.

• Members

Sears is my version of a wet dream when it comes to quality! I got my certification as a small engine repairman while roughnecking and I wouldn't dream of buying anything short of the best in tools. That would be like buying a sex toy from a place other than TT that doesn't carry the 1 year guarantee!

• Members

lol Be assured I wasn't trashing Sears. I was just pointing out that I would never in my wackiest dreams buy a Gucci purse, that my friends is not worth my money. By the way Pappy, I heart craftsmen tool, but give me a leatherman or a gerber and you might just get lucky. Those are amazing tools.

Just remember, The One will love you no matter what you have pierced, tattooed, or what color hair you choose to have. It may scare some guys off, but, any man that is willing to see past stuff, is "worth" more.

• Members
lol Be assured I wasn't trashing Sears. I was just pointing out that I would never in my wackiest dreams buy a Gucci purse, that my friends is not worth my money. By the way Pappy, I heart craftsmen tool, but give me a leatherman or a gerber and you might just get lucky. Those are amazing tools.

I never guessed your post to be insulting to Sears. You and I seem to be of like mind towards so-called high end trash like Gucci! I miss my Gerber tool too!!!!!

• Members
I never guessed your post to be insulting to Sears. You and I seem to be of like mind towards so-called high end trash like Gucci! I miss my Gerber tool too!!!!!

My Leatherman broke. :( I only have a couple months left til my birthday..... :) A girl can dream right?

• Members

I've always been told a girl can do what she pleases. To an extent at least. I never cared for my leatherman's but my Gerber was treasured. If you get nothing similar let me know and I'll send you some of the ones I have not held in the same category as my Gerber if you like!

• Members

My parents were more upset over my piercings than they were of my tattoo. I find that odd. :-P

My boyfriend doesn't like tattoos or piercings, but he's still with me and they don't "interfere" with our relationship. So, I think if you meet the right guy, he'll either like them or overlook them and get the bigger picture, that you are a fabulous woman and he's super special and lucky to have you in his life.

Kudos to new tatts! I sooooo have been pondering about my next one. :-)

• Members

One of the most famous artists once said that he puts some "come back" into his ink! RIP - Stoney!!!!!!!!!!