Official Community Forums Home

Looking For Computer Help

ToyQueen

• Members

I just bought a new computer, and I'm pretty computer illiterate. I have not been able to download yahoo messenger, and I have tried several times. Sometimes I get a firewall configuration error. Sometimes the internet logs me off. But I can't get the download to work, and this is the only way I have to talk to a friend in the army. I'm feeling a little desperate. Any tips or ideas for me???

• Members
I just bought a new computer, and I'm pretty computer illiterate. I have not been able to download yahoo messenger, and I have tried several times. Sometimes I get a firewall configuration error. Sometimes the internet logs me off. But I can't get the download to work, and this is the only way I have to talk to a friend in the army. I'm feeling a little desperate. Any tips or ideas for me???

Are you trying to download messenger for Vista? If not, I'd try that....

From your Start menu - go to Control Panel >> Security >> Allow a program through windows firewall. Make sure Yahoo Messenger is in the Exceptions list...if not you'll need to add it. Click Add program and look for Yahoo Messenger. NOTE - if you have any other security program on your pc, it may be interferring with the windows firewall configuration.

If that doesn't work - I'd be happy to investigate further for you....I'm pretty good at troubleshooting and debugging.

Something else you might want to do - which won't help your problem, but will save a lot of frustration.. ....there's a well known aggravation in Vista called User Account Control. Having this setting on makes Vista ask you for permission via a pop-up box everytime you want to execute/update/etc. programs - even though you are the administrator user on the pc. There is no danger in having this control off -unless you don't trust anyone else that's going to use the computer -which I'm assuming is not the case since it's a personal pc. In any case to turn this off...from the Start menu go to Control Panel >> User Accounts and Family Security >> User accounts >> User accounts (not a typo) >>Turn User Account Control on or off and de-select the box.

Let me know how this goes. I was able to download the Yahoo Messenger for Vista setup.exe file and can possibly zip it and email it to you if you want to try that way....

I'll investigate too and see if I see any message boards where people have reported the same issues....

Good luck

• Members

Have you updated yet? Vista isn't near as bad as XP but there are a few. - www.protonic.com - is a great site for free help if you have continued troubles. They may have even seen this one already so be sure to check their forums board. They also have a lot of free downloads there that have tested for any viruses or problems if you want them. They will ask you for some comp info so print your system info ahead of time if you want! I am using Vista also but have never tried to download the Yahoo! Messenger.

• Members

When I tried to download messanger onto this machine, I would get that annoying "this is not certified blah blah blah" thing

I would install it anyways, and allow it as admin.

Vista can be a PITA.

I am still getting used to running certain programs myself.

and finding them LOL

Anyways, like it was stated above, you may have to reconfigure your firewall settings and you security levels and such.

Good luck.