Official Community Forums Home

Wtf Is Wrong With People?!?!

Guest eminatic

Guest eminatic

so last night at work this lady came in just before we were closing (i work at JoAnn Fabrics) and had quite a few bolts of fabric piled in her cart. i have helped her a few times before, so we were sort of familiar with each other and began chatting as i measured her fabric. well, while i was measuring one bolt, she was tossing most of the bolts off to the side saying she had changed her mind about them. she gave me a second bolt to measure, saying she would just take the rest of it. it was almost 6 yards. i printed up her cutting slip and she left to browse a bit more before heading over to the checkout.

i went to go clean the bolts of fabric she tossed, and noticed a very long loose piece of fabric, and then hidden on the other side of the table, an empty bolt. i looked at them and realized that she had unwrapped the two bolts of fabrics and then switched them so that her $24.99/yard fabric rang up as $4.99 she had not gone up to the registers yet, so i headed her off and told the cashiers what happened, then went back to the office to tell the manager. the manager told me that since i did not personally see her switch them (she did it before she brought it to my table) we had to give it to her?

wtf? we can CLEARLY see her switch them on camera! yet apparently we can do nothing unless someone catches her in the act, even though we have video of her doing it :huh: so my manager told the cashiers to let it go, although she was cursing all the way back to the office

and then i found out from the guest service clerk that this lady is a con artist, and tries to pull something EVERY time she is in our store! she once tried to hide an entire bolt of fabric, and when she was stopped at the door she blew up at the clerk saying they were accusing her because she was from Africa. :rolleyes: she has also tried to use fake credit cards, again saying that the cashiers were being racist when they asked for id (we ask ALL customers for ID when paying by credit PERIOD.) and all sorts of other tricks to rob us.

i just dont understand

1: why are we continuing to let her in?

2: why would you even show your face in a store where you have already been caught trying to steal (i guess cuz she knows we can't do anything...)

Guest eminatic

yeah, and then management and upper management is yelling at us all the time saying that our "pinch" is not accurate (as if it isnt already hard enough dealing with customers yelling at you saying they are entitled to a few extra inches) and THAT is the reason for our financial losses?! and return fraud is why many stores have such strict return policies, yet if you scream and shout enough the manager will ALWAYS just do it anyway because they are so scared of stepping on anyone's toes. and in my case, its NOT like our customers are going to go ANYWHERE else. JoAnn has a MONOPOLY in the valley; there ARE no other fabric stores!

its strange to me, because i used to work at Target, and they DO NOT play around with theft. they have a large security team, and they WILL tackle you, even after you have walked out the door.

• Members

The whole thing is so sad and WRONG!!

You wonder how some people can live with themselves.

there must be no inner voice at all that says "hey..............wait! This is wrong"

Mine sounds like my mom...ha~ha~ha <_<

• Members
The whole thing is so sad and WRONG!!

You wonder how some people can live with themselves.

there must be no inner voice at all that says "hey..............wait! This is wrong"

Mine sounds like my mom...ha~ha~ha <_<

sadly enough some ppl look at stealing and lying as a sick game...lets see how many people i can screw over, lie, cheat, and steal from.

or, they have it so twisted in their minds that they actually think they are right in doing what they are doing

• Members

"You wonder how some people can live with themselves.

there must be no inner voice at all that says "hey..............wait! This is wrong" "

They probably don't see it as wrong. They're steeling from Big Corporation that rapes the land and screws and the people; they're just cheating a crooked company, and getting what is owed to them by the greedy capitalist pig-dog system (or some such rationalization).

From the company's point of view, it makes better business sense to write-off a certain amount from shop-lifting then risk alienating and losing customers. (Your arguments about being the only fabric store in the area notwithstanding :) ) That $25 bolt probably only cost them five bucks, plus they get a tax write-off.

And unless you get paid enough to worry about it, your just gonna pop a blood vessel in your own head, and nothing will change with the shoplifing.

Was it Dirty Jobs? They followed a guy around a zoo whose job it was to clean up all the elephant and other animal poo. He used to have a job dealing with the public, and they asked him which job he prefered. It was cleaning manure, wiithout hesitation.

• Members

I know that state laws can get in the way as well. While I'm fortunate in that concealment is considered intent to steal in Maine, it's still hard to make a shoplifting charge stick if you haven't 1. Had a visual of the person through their entire time in the store(nearly impossible with all the twists and turns) and 2. They haven't completely passed the last point of sale. So, if your camera caught her switiching the fabric and didn't have a complete visual of her through the entire store, then the video is garbage when it comes to prosecution.

Randy.

• Members

My brother and I were spending a few nights at an aunt and uncles. We were still in grade school at the time and another uncle had been taking us fishing for a while. Needless to say we talked unc into taking us but his reel on one pole was missing the nut that holds the reel handle on. We stopped at Wal-Mart and headed to the fishing gear and he grabbed a rod/reel combo off the top of the gondola and took the nut off of it and dropped it in his pocket. Now we're not talking about a poor couple, and this store has had one of the most tolerant return and/or exchange policies that I know of. The nut itself could not have cost more than a nickel at that time so I can figure nothing more than arrogance into that act.

It is what comes to mind every time I see him. None of my kids will ever go to the store with him.

• Members
getting what is owed to them by the greedy capitalist pig-dog system (or some such rationalization).

This is fast becoming a major problem! Seems that a lot of people think that they deserve all the benefits with none of the sweat that we had to use to purchase those same things!

Guest eminatic
Was it Dirty Jobs? They followed a guy around a zoo whose job it was to clean up all the elephant and other animal poo. He used to have a job dealing with the public, and they asked him which job he prefered. It was cleaning manure, wiithout hesitation.

haaaaha sadly i jump at the chance to clean the bathrooms/go run around and grab carts in 100+ degree vegas whether or do ANYTHING except be at my station. everyone fights over the reeeeally early shift or the closing shift, because part of your shift will NOT be during store hours.

most of our customers are tourists anyway so its not like they were going to come back in the first place. also people think that since they are "not from here" that means they dont have to read any of the signs or follow any of the rules :huh:

it is true that it didnt cost the full 24.99 to make the fabric (although it was an authentic bemberg silk so still not cheap!) but as anyone who's had the FIDM fashion school lecture will know, once you figure in all the hands and labor it takes to get it on our shelf we only profit a few dollars for the product. she got about 6 yards so she walked out with over $100 :<

i guess Target is the only place willing to prosecute :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Is not that places are unwilling to prosceute, its more that the law is against them. Next time she comes in either watch her like a hawk or check the bolts of fabric.
In cafes and restaurants throughout America signs are posted "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service". Why couldn't the store manager try this as well? As soon as this woman comes in the store the manager explains to her once that she is NOT WELCOME in their store. If she doesn't get the message then call the police or sheriffs office to report a trespasser. Meanwhile until the lawmen arrive shadow her every move.

• Members
In cafes and restaurants throughout America signs are posted "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service". Why couldn't the store manager try this as well? As soon as this woman comes in the store the manager explains to her once that she is NOT WELCOME in their store. If she doesn't get the message then call the police or sheriffs office to report a trespasser. Meanwhile until the lawmen arrive shadow her every move.

They can but most stores are too afraid to offend a possibly customer to say something like that.