Official Community Forums Home

Night Twitches?

angelkisses98

• Members

i have had this issue for years...as long as i can remember really...it used to be a once in awhile thing, but lately its been getting worse to the point it keeps me up at night. it happens only at night...i go go bed..and my body starts relaxing my entire body tenses up and goes into this entire body twitch. like an all over muscle spasm. it does not hurt..but this can continue for up to a half hour. i can feel when its getting ready to happen to..its like this build up and the twitch is the release. it seems like it starts at the base of my neck and spreads. its so bad sometimes it causes me to do an entire "body jump" on the bed.

i have an apt with my doc the first week of oct. i was just wondering if anyone had anything like this or knows of anyone who has something like this.

• Members

Wow Angelkisses, That almost sounds like a seizure. Have you ever been tested for epilepsy? I don't have a medical background, so I really don't know anything, but I'm glad your going to a MD. I hope it's nothing. Let me/us know.

• Members
Most folks will have occasionally a 'relaxation spasm' upon the attaining the relaxed state just prior to drifting off to sleep, but this being repeated for half an hour and your symptom experience does not fit that profile...yes, check with your doctor, and ask for a 'neurological' exam...(s) he should be asking you to do some goofy things, like touch your toes, watch the tip of a pen go back and forth, etc....don't let the doctor discount your concerns.

i have an apt the first week of oct. my doc is pretty good with checking every last little thing.

• Members

Wow that's annoying! I have had that falling off a cliff feeling but nothing like that! Hope you get to the bottom of it! Maybe there is some inner turmoil eating at you...

• Members

Yup. Happens to me too, Angelkisses. Like you, as long as I can remember. Mine are a little different - I sense it ahead of time in my mind, but only for less than a second ahead. Then *BANG*. No real twitchy buildup. Sometimes it feels like my body jumps off of the bed. The image in my mind just before it occurs is usually something like this: I turn my head to just in time to see a speeding baseball just inches from my face. Then *BANG* Haven't gone to a doctor about it though. I've just kind of lived with it. I've searched the web, but can't find anything quite like it. Could be a fairly common affliction, but manifests itself a little different for each person. Maybe something similar to Restless Leg Syndrome, but still different. I'd be quite interested to hear what your doctor says. Thanks for your post - it's the first time I've heard of anything like this in another person.

SP

• Members

I get the soemtiems sudden jolt while trying to fall asleep. Like sun said....like you fall off a cliff.....or your goign to fall off the bed. that type thing. but only second or 2 no longer then that. Glad that you are going to your doc. about it AK. Let us know what turns up.

• Members
I get the soemtiems sudden jolt while trying to fall asleep. Like sun said....like you fall off a cliff.....or your goign to fall off the bed. that type thing. but only second or 2 no longer then that. Glad that you are going to your doc. about it AK. Let us know what turns up.

Me, too, but just a leg spasm or twitch. If it lasts 30 minutes...check it out. Most people are not aware when they have a seizure...they 'wake up" and time has passed. Are you aware the whole time?

• Members
Me, too, but just a leg spasm or twitch. If it lasts 30 minutes...check it out. Most people are not aware when they have a seizure...they 'wake up" and time has passed. Are you aware the whole time?

yeah, i am always aware.

my doc's office called, they have an opening tomorrow, and she wants to see me asap, so im going tomorrow at 1

• Members
yeah, i am always aware.

my doc's office called, they have an opening tomorrow, and she wants to see me asap, so im going tomorrow at 1

Glad to hear that sweetie. Let us know how you make out.

• Members

well i went to the doc and she did a full exam..asked me a million and one questions. she is sending me for a MRI and CT. just in case, but she does not think anything is gonna show...she is also doing extensive blood work just to be sure, since i have been having stomach issues to. she said the stomach issues were mostly likely my body going back to normal..since i have a sensitive tummy anyways.

as far as the twitching..what she thinks it is, is this...your brain send the electrical impulses through your body...even though you rest, your brain is still sending them out..she said sometimes there strongest when you are relaxes causing your muscles to twitch. she gave me a muscle relaxer to help my relax and i go back in a month for the results. she said these impulses will not hurt me. she told me...hehe..." your brain never shuts off..especially yours...your body is 'relaxed' but your brain(meaning mine not someone elses) is going i have to do laundry tomorrow, clean the bathroom..and oh!! what if i did this...oh no that wont work.." she knows me so well.

• Members

I'm glad your getting a full work up just to rule things out.

And boy do you have a busy brain, maybe some sex before sleep will help you turn off those thoughts. I'm sure your husband would love to help out.