Official Community Forums Home

Mirena

hot4hubby

• Members

Hi everyone. I have a question. I will be getting the Mirena on Wed. Has anyone here ever had it and if so do or did you like it. I have heard that the man can feel it. And the idea of that string hanging out kinda grosses me out. SO if you have any info about it please let me know. Thanks everyone. ME

I have had the Mirena for almost a year now and I love it! Hubby is not supposed to be able to feel it unless it is inserted incorrectly. I took pills for several years before getting the Mirena and it's wonderful. I haven't had a period except some spotting in the weeks after it was put in. I love the fact that I don't have to worry about it for 5 years and you can't even tell it is there. I will definitly be getting another one when this one has to come out. It was a little uncomfortable when it was put in because they have to kind of grab ahold of your cervix with something but it wasn't painful.

• Members
I have had the Mirena for almost a year now and I love it! Hubby is not supposed to be able to feel it unless it is inserted incorrectly. I took pills for several years before getting the Mirena and it's wonderful. I haven't had a period except some spotting in the weeks after it was put in. I love the fact that I don't have to worry about it for 5 years and you can't even tell it is there. I will definitly be getting another one when this one has to come out. It was a little uncomfortable when it was put in because they have to kind of grab ahold of your cervix with something but it wasn't painful.

Thank you. So you can't feel it YAY!!! We aren't sure if we are done with kids yet but I am glad we are getting this. Pills took my sex drive away so I hope this works. THANKS SO much

• Members

I had one put in about 4 or 5 months ago. I cramped some at first off and on. I also spotted almost everyday for the first several months. My dr. put me on some hormones for about 6 weeks. Since I have finished them, I have completley stopped bleeding. It has been about 3 weeks now. With the cramps now gone and the spotting stopped, I am loving it.

The string is on the inside of you. You are suppose to be able to feel it with your finger. My husband hasn't said anything to me about feeling the string.

It has not taken away my sex drive like the pills did.

Just be prepared to give it a few months to kind of adjust and don't give up. So far, very worth it!

• Members
I had one put in about 4 or 5 months ago. I cramped some at first off and on. I also spotted almost everyday for the first several months. My dr. put me on some hormones for about 6 weeks. Since I have finished them, I have completley stopped bleeding. It has been about 3 weeks now. With the cramps now gone and the spotting stopped, I am loving it.

The string is on the inside of you. You are suppose to be able to feel it with your finger. My husband hasn't said anything to me about feeling the string.

It has not taken away my sex drive like the pills did.

Just be prepared to give it a few months to kind of adjust and don't give up. So far, very worth it!

I hope I won't have any problems. My husband won't be home until march so I am hoping to be used to it by then.

• Members

I'm on my 2nd one. I love it, and my husband has never felt the string. You'll never know it's there. FYI - one of the benefits of having the Mirena is you may not get your period anymore or it's very, very light. No more cramps. I think it's the only birth control to have after your done having children .

my wife has it in for over 2 years now. prior to that both our lovely children were conceived, using the pill and condoms.

i do feel it every so often but it is not that bad. wife spots every once and awhile but not to bad. so best of luck.

• Members

As an OB/GYN physician I highly recommend the Mirena IUD to my patients on a regular basis. It is one of the most "carefree" forms of birth control there is (no pills or shots to remember, no condoms to use) and it has the added bonus of eliminate or minimizing the amount of bleeding one has. Also since the IUD does not affect ovulation at all, when/if you decide to become pregnant there is no delay in waiting for your cycles to normalize as often happens with hormonal methods of birth control.

As mentioned, there can be a small amount of discomfort when it is initially placed and some women will have cramping for a few days to a few weeks afterwards. The cramping can be controlled with either tylenol or motrin.

The IUD is placed in the cavity of the uterus with the string extending out of the cervix. As long as the string is cut long enough (2-3 cm) your partner typically can not feel it as it will lay down against the cervix. If the string is cut to short it can stick straight out which would increase the chance of your partner feeling it. OB/GYN doctors are totally aware of this and I've never cut the string short or seen the string cut to short. If the uterine cavity is small there is a possibility that the end of the IUD could be in the cervix and could potentially be felt by your partner. If you have had a child the cavity of your uterus will not be small (as with many other things it is stretched out some during pregnancy). Occasionally a woman who has not yet had a child may have difficulty with an IUD, but that is very uncommon.

The Mirena IUD is also great for perimenopausal women as it can be used to help control any heavy and/or irregular bleeding they may be experiencing. I had one in place for 5 yrs before going through menopause and loved it - essentially no bleeding and what there was, was very light.

So great choice!! Enjoy the freedom it gives you!!

• Members
As an OB/GYN physician I highly recommend the Mirena IUD to my patients on a regular basis. It is one of the most "carefree" forms of birth control there is (no pills or shots to remember, no condoms to use) and it has the added bonus of eliminate or minimizing the amount of bleeding one has. Also since the IUD does not affect ovulation at all, when/if you decide to become pregnant there is no delay in waiting for your cycles to normalize as often happens with hormonal methods of birth control.

As mentioned, there can be a small amount of discomfort when it is initially placed and some women will have cramping for a few days to a few weeks afterwards. The cramping can be controlled with either tylenol or motrin.

The IUD is placed in the cavity of the uterus with the string extending out of the cervix. As long as the string is cut long enough (2-3 cm) your partner typically can not feel it as it will lay down against the cervix. If the string is cut to short it can stick straight out which would increase the chance of your partner feeling it. OB/GYN doctors are totally aware of this and I've never cut the string short or seen the string cut to short. If the uterine cavity is small there is a possibility that the end of the IUD could be in the cervix and could potentially be felt by your partner. If you have had a child the cavity of your uterus will not be small (as with many other things it is stretched out some during pregnancy). Occasionally a woman who has not yet had a child may have difficulty with an IUD, but that is very uncommon.

The Mirena IUD is also great for perimenopausal women as it can be used to help control any heavy and/or irregular bleeding they may be experiencing. I had one in place for 5 yrs before going through menopause and loved it - essentially no bleeding and what there was, was very light.

Thank u. I love the light period thing. I have have always had heavy periods so this will be a huge break. Thanks to all the advise. I will be there first thing Wed with bells on!!!!

• Members

I'm on Sprintec at the moment and have been looking into other forms of birth control because my mother says the pills seem to be making me a bit more irritable than usual...

The one thing I like about the pills is that I can regulate when I get my period moderately, but if Mirena lightens it up that much, might be something to look into.

Is there any age considerations that should be taken?

• Members
I'm on Sprintec at the moment and have been looking into other forms of birth control because my mother says the pills seem to be making me a bit more irritable than usual...

The one thing I like about the pills is that I can regulate when I get my period moderately, but if Mirena lightens it up that much, might be something to look into.

Is there any age considerations that should be taken?

I know that they generally recommend it for women who have had children, another option is teh shot. The side effects are similar to the pill in regards to weight gain with the added bonus of not getting, or only getting a light period. It's a progesteron shot that you get ever 11-13 weeks (depending on your doctor) I have recived teh shot in my bum, my belly, my thigh and my arms, again it depends on your doctor. the shot is 98% effective when taken right (and with an every three month deadline some doctors will send you reminder cards), which is prretty hard to forget. You generally get your first shot on your 5th day of your period and then your "immediately" covered, though for liability reasons they recommend you use a condom for about a week.

• Members

In the USA IUD's are typically recommended for women who have had children. However in Europe they are used much more often, in all age groups. I have placed them in women (appoximately 2 dozen) who have not had children and have only had one who experienced significant cramping post insertion and decided to have it removed.

As part of the process of inserting the IUD the uterus is "sounded" - in other words the length of the uterine cavity is measured. If the uterine cavity is less then 7cm then there is an increased chance that the woman will experience cramping or have discomfort with the IUD in place. I have had a couple of patients with a cavity length of 6cm whom I advised against the IUD do to the increased possibility of discomfort after placement. So if you haven't had a child and are interested in the IUD it would be reasonable to have a discussion with your OB/GYN physician about not inserting it if you uterine cavity length was under 7 cm.

The depoProvera shot is a nice alternative to pills and the IUD. The only issue is that women experience more irregular spotting with the shot then with the IUD or pills.

• Members

Thanks for the info! The websites for the medication almost never have the answers to my exact questions! Thank you for clearing that up for me! ^.^

• Members

Well I got it done. Only took about 10 minutes she had to keep stopping cause she was making me laugh and I would close up lol but over all it went great lol. Thanks for all the info. It really help ease my mind.

• Members
Glad it went well - insertion usually is pretty straight forward and not very uncomfortable - i'm sure you'll be happy with it.

yep. TY

• Members

Adriana - As always if there are any side effects that are bothersome to you it would be reasonable to let your OB/GYN know as they may have some suggestions as to how to minimize/eliminate the side effects. If you don't mind me asking how long have you had the Mirena?

• 1 month later...
  • Members
I hope I won't have any problems. My husband won't be home until march so I am hoping to be used to it by then.

There is really nothing to get "used to". Your provider will insert it into the uterus, and the string comes out of the cervix and hangs down into the vagina. Depending on how short it is cut makes a difference on what your partner will or won't feel. But is is a string, which means it is flexible and can move around somewhat in the vagina. Basically the string is a filament (like thin fishing line), and it does occationally "poke" your partner if it is pointing in the wrong direction. Usually a change in the down stroke, or in the worst case scenario, you stop, insert a finger and coil it back up behind the cervix, then continue where you left off.

In the last 4 years its probably happened a few dozen times to Mr. SP, but never often enough to make me (or him) regret it as a birth control method. And I cannot recall any of my patients ever wanting it removed for that specific reason. As Leslieanne mentioned, cutting it too short is something medical practitioners are very aware of, and make sure we don't do.

because the Mirena has a hormone added (progesterone), it can sometimes cause irregular spotting or bleeding for the first few months. Most women by the first year are having scant bleeding, if they have any at all.

Glad it seems to be working for you. Its one of my favorite methods for myself and my patients!

• Members
I'd just like to add something that I have experienced with Mirena. Since getting it, my cramps and erm.. flatulence feel pretty much the same so I almost cannot tell the difference. I would also say that I've felt much more bloated in the intestinal area in general.

I too felt blotted for 6-8 weeks after each insertion. It dissipated and I don't have any side effects.