Official Community Forums Home

Just Starting Out

mystofpric

• Members

Well as some of you knw i'm woefully ( :) ) single and so I thought I could share my experiences so I have decided to write a series of articles about my dating experiences. Here's the first one!

Just Starting Out

As a young single woman living on her own (more or less) in a rather small town, it can be hard to meet new people. I’m sure my friends are tired of hearing me complain about my lowly single status. But what is a girl to do?

Hello, it is the 21st century after all! Who needs to leave the house to try something new?

Being emboldened by a new ‘do and my fabulous friends, I decided to enter the online dating game! Okay, I know that this once held a terrible stigma of old men sitting in their underwear pretending to be 16-year-old girls, but really? Times have changed a little bit! I hope.

With the financial horizon being sketchy at best I decided to start at the bottom with a freebie: Craig’s List. Now, I know that lots of people think that Craig’s List is only for the random hookup and is not to be trusted, but I figured I should try and give it a shot—I mean, what do I have to lose?

I planned to start by replying to a few ads; see what the guys out there are like before casting out my own net. I hopped on to the site, found my local area, and entered the forbidden Men seeking Women section. I searched around my own age (21-30) and immediately eliminated anyone with kids. I’m so not ready for that level of commitment.

And then they started to show: the infamous one-night stands. The “I’m alone for the evening, maybe things will get hot and heavy, maybe they won’t” posts. Yeah, sure, all you’re looking for is someone to talk to. The more I looked the more I found these, and at first I tried to ignore them. But then I clicked a few and realized that most of these guys are posting those because they’re just silly. Sure, some of these guys were serious, but really? Honestly? Meh, who am I to judge?

Then I started looking at some more serious posts. I liked the guys who admitted to being imperfect. The humorous ones made me smile. Pictures helped. I’m not going to lie, I may not have a perfect body or be a supermodel, but I am vaguely shallow. I’m looking for an average guy—ya know, the kind with his own body, not an Abercrombie model’s, preferably tall, coloring isn’t a big deal, with a great sense of humor, a reader (he has to enjoy books), and someone who’s laid back.

I immediately found one that I really liked, but he’s moving into the area and hasn’t arrived yet. That’s fine with me, takes the pressure off! He’s former military and seems fairly active and outdoorsy, but nothing crazy (I’m not a rock climber) and, the kicker? He reads. He gets an e-mail!

Then I found another one, same age as me, and a dog lover. Any guy who takes good care of a dog has to be a good guy, right? Well, that’s not necessarily true, but hey, it’s a start, right? He gets an e-mail!

And then lastly there was a guy with a hot picture. Yup, well ya never know, right? He also got an e-mail!

So now that I cast out my lines, we’ll have to wait and see who bites!

• Members

Good for you! I so would be doing the same thing if I was single! Best wishes and keep us posted!

• Members

HAHA...ok...I'm single as well. This is really interesting to me because I am sooo shy, I have a hard time intiating a conversation with someone I do not know. I wanna know how this goes...maybe it will encourage me. :) Good luck!

• Members

WTG lil sis make daddy and I proud. ;) I think you did very well with the article and I wish you the best of luck with it.

• Members

I am being very careful, no pictures have been exchanged and no more geographic information than my general area of the adirondacks. I just figured that I'm tired of sitting around and waiting for life to come to me so now I'm going to be proactive and why not share what happens along the way? Internet dating won't be the sole focus of these articles, more of a sex and the city with likely less sex and less shoes.

• Review Team

You are a smart lady so I trust you to be careful. That said, I personally think the internet can be an amazing tool when meeting people. That is how I met the man of my dreams. He found me on My Space when I wasn't even looking. Just keep your options open and a clear head about it all, and it will happen.

• Members
Definitely gotta keep this one up.

I met the most wonderful woman in the world online. She is the greatest thing to ever happen tome. I love her with all my heart and will soon be married to her. Good luck and keep us updated