Official Community Forums Home

Post-sex Spotting

ladylove

• Members

Know the Facts About Post-Sex Spotting

You've just had sex with your partner. You're feeling lost in the afterglow. But when you get up to go to the bathroom, there's blood on the toilet paper — and you're nowhere near your period. You're immediately panicked, fearfully wondering what could be wrong.

Spotting after sex can occur for a variety of reasons, so it's important to have yourself checked out by a doctor. Here are some common causes for post-sex spotting:

Cervical polyps or precancerous changes to cervical cells. Both cause the cervix to become more sensitive, so if your partner's penis comes in contact with your cervix during intercourse, it may aggravate the area and result in bleeding. The cervix changes its position in the body, which is why you may bleed on some occasions and not others.

A yeast or bacterial infection. These infections can cause changes to vaginal tissues that result in bleeding.

A sexually transmitted disease. An STD, such as gonorrhea or chlamydia, may behave like a vaginal infection and can cause bleeding.

Uterine polyps or fibroids.Both are typically benign growths that occur inside the uterus and can bleed as a result of friction during intercourse.

• Review Team

Thanks for this info LL. I used to have spotting regularly after sex with a certain partner. He was pretty huge and I think he knocked my cervix too hard or something because my doctor never found anything wrong and it was only with him. It did scare me a lot though, to the point I didn't want to have sex with him.

• Members

I did go through this back abotu 4-5 months ago. I went in to go to the bathroom after sex and started flipping out. Mine wasn't just a little blood. I went soaked in a tub and it calmed down. I was scared beyond belief. I remember wondering what was wrong with me. After the tub I was fine and it wasn't happening anymore. Well I after pleading convinced my SO for some more loving and it happened again. So I went back and we relaxed in the tub and called it a day.

Then I camed on here and pmed a couple of people and was told I could have a small tear to just rest and avoid activity for a about a week and then see. I did that as difficult as it was. Well we got together and it started again. Not as bad but enough to make us stop before it did get bad. He and I discussed it and we both felt it was time I saw the doctor to see what was going on.

Went into the doctor and after some tests I did have a tiny tear that ended up requiring a few stitches but also apparently I had an infection he said that was probably up high in my cervix that was unknown to me and when he penetrated me it probably agravated it and brought it down as well. So I was given an antibiotic and told to rest and no sex or playing until I came back for my followup a week later. I did that and got the all clear. I have never had a problem since.

Of course now we have the jokes and I can laugh at them. He and a friend of mine decided that the new name for her is Wuss Puss. They get a kick out of it or they just call me WP to get a laugh.

• Members

SS I'm glad all is well now.

You never know, and a little info can go along way. Better safe than sorry.

• Members

Exactly. Once I knew what was going on I felt much better. That is why anytime someone is talking abotu problems like this I suggest that it doesn't hurt to visit the doctor to be on the safe side.

Great information! Especially for those women who don't get an annual exam, which, every woman that's sexually active should definitely do!!

Sometimes spotting can be normal, sometimes it can be something to worry about. If you're on the pill, had more stress, or don't have a regular cycle, spotting can be normal, and sometimes a side-effect of any medications, including birth control. It could be a sign of some stress to your vagina, (from rough sex, or too dry during some part during sex).

If you're concerned, definitely go see your GYN & be safe!!!

!!!

Thanks again for the great "spot" of information ;)

Guest eminatic

ah, i routinely bleed after having sex but i know the blood is coming from around the entrance...which is also where it hurts the most during sex. i've been tested several times for the above mentioned conditions tho