Official Community Forums Home

Std's...

sun_flower969

• Members

We all know they are out there. We talk about them, warn against them... but what about personal experience? Knowing there are some younger newbies on here got me thinking. You don't hear much about these things any more but they are STILL out there! Maybe some personal stories will help people want to take better precautions!

Personally I did contract a sexually transmitted communicable condition. (not really a disease per-se) I was young, around 18/19 it was CRABS!

I don't know how long I had them before I found out. I was CRAZY itchy "down there" I was applying lotion etc. I just thought I had a rash. I mean there were scabs on me... (So I thought! those were the crabs!) One day I picked off one of those "scabs" and looked at it. I swear the thing waved at me! (LOL) I had them below the waist, I had them in my hair/scalp. I even found one on my eyebrow! I gave them to my boyfriend a friend and someone at work. They are highly contagious... I found out! I got rid of them and they came back like 3X!!! It was NASTY! I am itchy just thinking about it *shudder*! To this day I am not sure where they came from! I had been with 2 guys during that time and no one fessed up!

What about the rest of ya! What gross thing did you survive! What was it like? Tell us!

• Members

HPV, but the BF gave it to me so I guess that's better than getting it from some fling? Haha

I actually got an abnormal PAP and am going in tomorrow to have a biopsy and see if anything needs to be done. I'm not too worried... if the dysplasia is bad enough they may have to do laser ablation, but hopefully it'll be mild and I'll just have to be sure to get my yearly PAPs to keep an eye on it.

• Members
HPV, but the BF gave it to me so I guess that's better than getting it from some fling? Haha

I actually got an abnormal PAP and am going in tomorrow to have a biopsy and see if anything needs to be done. I'm not too worried... if the dysplasia is bad enough they may have to do laser ablation, but hopefully it'll be mild and I'll just have to be sure to get my yearly PAPs to keep an eye on it.

Honestly it probably nothiing especially if it was caught early enough. I should warn you though after your biopsy you have to go 1 week without sex or insertion.... It was easy for me, but i didn't have a boyfriend so good luck with that! LOL The biopsy doesn't hurt, but if your pap usually hurts i'd pop a few pain killers pre-bioposy. If you doo need the removal the most common meathod is freezing, (from what i've been told by my doctor) and from the experiences of friends that hurts like an SOB. SO hopefully it is nothing but all the more reason to get the gardasil! :)

I had HPV and the Immaculate Infection of Chlamydia. Y'all know my story! :)

• Review Team
If you doo need the removal the most common meathod is freezing, (from what i've been told by my doctor) and from the experiences of friends that hurts like an SOB. SO hopefully it is nothing but all the more reason to get the gardasil! :)

I had an abnormal pap years ago and, because I had no insurance and was using a clinic, it was recomended that I skip a biopsy. The clinic didn't do those and to go to an ObGyn with no insurance and only a part-time minimum job - well, it wasn't possible. So I had the freeze-thing done. Yeah, it hurt, but it was not unbearable. They said I would need someone else to drive me home but I was able to drive myself. Since then, no abnormal paps and that was ... about 15 years ago.

• Members

If you are diagnosed with an abnormal pap smear the next step should be a colposcopy - this is where your cervix is looked at with a special microscope. It allows the doctor to identify where on your cervix the abnormal cells are. If necessary a biopsy will be done. The biopsy maybe a scrapping from the opening in the middle of the cervix (endocervical currettage) and/or a pinch biopsy from the outer surface of the cervix. One or both of these biopsies should be done prior to any additional treatment so you and your doctor know with certainty what level of abnormal cells are present (mild, moderate, severe or cancer).

There are 4 treatment choices - which is done depends on the degree of abnormal cells (mild, moderate or severe dysplasia) and the training/experience/preference of the physician. The four treatment options are:

Freezing - oldest form of treatment, tissue is destroyed by freezing with liquid nitrogen, can cause scaring of the cervix, does not provide additional tissue for full pathology diagnosis, can be done in the doctors office, used for mild dysplasia, possibly for moderate dysplasia

Laser ablation - similar to freezing, causes tissue destruction, more precise targeting of the area with the abnormal cells, less chance of scarring the cervix, no tissue for full pathology diagnosis, can be done in the doctors office or in an outpatient surgery center, used for mild or moderate dysplasia

LEEP - Using a specialized cutting instrument, the area of abnormal cells are cut out of the cervix - essentially a larger biopsy, the biopsy tissue is sent to pathology which allows a definitive diagnosis as well as confirmation that all abnormal cells were removed (margins are checked to be sure they are clean), is done in the doctors office, patient is given an injection of lidocain (anesthestic) on the cervix prior to the procedure, used for mild, moderate or severe dysplasia, typically less painful then freezing ro laser since lidocain is given first.

Cone Biopsy - done in the OR with the patient sedated/asleep, this is done for severe dysplasia or cancer in situ of the cervix.

• Members

Had the colposcopy done and there was no need for a biopsy she said, I just have to go back in 6 months for another PAP :)

• Review Team
Had the colposcopy done and there was no need for a biopsy she said, I just have to go back in 6 months for another PAP :)

Great news!

• Members

Congrats! I do hate to be a bearer of bad news but in case you haven't HPV "long" (meaning showing and active) it can take up to 2 years (in some cases more) before it goes away. So you may be in for lots of paps and colposcopies. I know I had one of each every 6 months for two year, next month HOPEFULLY will be my first "clean" pap. Congrats and go party it up!

• Members

I've probably already had it for a little over a year, my last exam was right before I got together with the current BF and that one was clean, so I know it had to have come from him. Either way, as long as it's just colposcopies and PAPs I can deal with that! :P

• Members

I have been fortunate so far, nothing on this end yet!

• Members
I've probably already had it for a little over a year, my last exam was right before I got together with the current BF and that one was clean, so I know it had to have come from him. Either way, as long as it's just colposcopies and PAPs I can deal with that! :P

Even the biopsy wasn't bad! And it's always best to know right? You may have had it in your system already and it wasn't active yet, it happens, but either way figure this time next year you should be in the clear!

• Members

It's pretty standard to do a HPV test nowadays even if the PAP comes back normal, so I doubt I had it beforehand, but who knows.