Official Community Forums Home

Screwed Up Cycle

mailahn97

• Members

Not sure what is going on, but it has me bothered. I am probably gonna go get it checked out, but wondering if I am worrying for nothing. I have always been right on that I got aunt flo the 1st and 3rd of every month like clockwork for YEARS. It was great as I would hear others say how theirs can be unpredictable. I could plan around it and never worry if it would change. It was every 27 days

Well in November that all came to a grinding halt. Here is some background. In November I had some issues that sent me to the GYN. I ended up with a small tear as well as a bacterial infection. I was on antibiotics for 5 days and have never had one since and had never had one before this.

Well after that my cycle went a little nuts. I am not sure if just a coincidence or what. I was normally every 27 days, got it with no cramps or bloating which was nice. Not even PMS. My SO has commented how he can't tell it is coming or here. Here is the deal

Nov to Dec 19 days apart

Dec to Jan 32 days apart

Jan to Mar 47 days apart and it hit me like a vengeance. I had severe cramping which I never get and was very heavy

Mar to Mar 20 days apart but VERY light

March to April 15 days apart but normal

I am just wondering if anyone else has been through this or if I should go get checked out. I am not on BC and have not been for over a year.

• Members
Not sure what is going on, but it has me bothered. I am probably gonna go get it checked out, but wondering if I am worrying for nothing. I have always been right on that I got aunt flo the 1st and 3rd of every month like clockwork for YEARS. It was great as I would hear others say how theirs can be unpredictable. I could plan around it and never worry if it would change. It was every 27 days

Well in November that all came to a grinding halt. Here is some background. In November I had some issues that sent me to the GYN. I ended up with a small tear as well as a bacterial infection. I was on antibiotics for 5 days and have never had one since and had never had one before this.

Well after that my cycle went a little nuts. I am not sure if just a coincidence or what. I was normally every 27 days, got it with no cramps or bloating which was nice. Not even PMS. My SO has commented how he can't tell it is coming or here. Here is the deal

Nov to Dec 19 days apart

Dec to Jan 32 days apart

Jan to Mar 47 days apart and it hit me like a vengeance. I had severe cramping which I never get and was very heavy

Mar to Mar 20 days apart but VERY light

March to April 15 days apart but normal

I am just wondering if anyone else has been through this or if I should go get checked out. I am not on BV and have not been for over a year.

I'm not an MD but my first thought is when did you find out about your mother. The emotional upheaval can reek havoc on your system.

If that couldn't be it how old are you? You may be starting peri-menopause or menopause. My sister started when she was 36, I'm in my 40's and I've not started as of yet. Since you keep a record of your cycle, I would call your OB. There are so many thing that could contribute to your irregularity.

• Members
I'm not an MD but my first thought is when did you find out about your mother. The emotional upheaval can reek havoc on your system.

If that couldn't be it how old are you? You may be starting peri-menopause or menopause. My sister started when she was 36, I'm in my 40's and I've not started as of yet. Since you keep a record of your cycle, I would call your OB. There are so many thing that could contribute to your irregularity.

I found out about that in January. I am 34 will be 35 next month. I am goofy like that keeping track ever since it was going strange. True there are so many things. Just drives me nuts. Thanks.

• Members
I found out about that in January. I am 34 will be 35 next month. I am goofy like that keeping track ever since it was going strange. True there are so many things. Just drives me nuts. Thanks.

Not to young....

Did you think something was up prior to finding out?

• Members
Not to young....

Did you think something was up prior to finding out?

No my mom was fine. She went to the hospital in Jan due to pneumonia and all of this was found out when she was there.

• Members
No my mom was fine. She went to the hospital in Jan due to pneumonia and all of this was found out when she was there.

OK, so I'm thinking the second part of the above post.... Let me know.

• Members

I am going in tomorrow at 12:30 to the dr. They are awesome there. I know a lot of times people get told they can't get in right away. Thankfully I won't have to wait much more than 24 hours. I will let you know what I find out.

• Members

There are a multitude of things that can affect your cycle.

1. Antibiotics - they can affect your cycle for 1-3months

2. Stress - sounds as if there is stuff going on related to your mom

3. Age - very common for women to experience cycles changes in their 30's and again in their 40's

4. Changes in your weight

Since you were on antibiotics in November, it possible that that was the initial cause of the cycle change. If you were then under stress that could be the reason for the ongoing irregularity. The heavy menses in March is total normal given that it was 47 days since your last one (more endometrium to be released).

The best thing to do is go in an see your OB to see if there is a specific problem. Sometimes you can identify a reason, sometimes not. I will often recommend BCP for 3 months to help settle everything down and get the cycle back on track if there is no specific problem identified. Sometimes just waiting it out also works.

• Members

2. Stress - sounds as if there is stuff going on related to your mom

3. Age - very common for women to experience cycles changes in their 30's and again in their 40's

4. Changes in your weight

Since you were on antibiotics in November, it possible that that was the initial cause of the cycle change. If you were then under stress that could be the reason for the ongoing irregularity. The heavy menses in March is total normal given that it was 47 days since your last one (more endometrium to be released).

The best thing to do is go in an see your OB to see if there is a specific problem. Sometimes you can identify a reason, sometimes not. I will often recommend BCP for 3 months to help settle everything down and get the cycle back on track if there is no specific problem identified. Sometimes just waiting it out also works.

Thank you. Yes I did have the antibiotics. Also I was under stress since January as my mom was diagnosed with stage 2B Lung Cancer and her chemo went horribly. Weight has stayed the same. I will see tomorrow. I hate not knowing when something is up. I always try to stay on top of everything.

• Members

Well you've got 2 out of 4 and possibly 3 out of 4 reasons for your cycles to be off. For women who are as regular as clock work there is always a lot of anxiety when their cycle get out of sync. The thing to keep in mind is that at your age the irregularity is seldom due to something "bad".

There are of course a variety of other reasons which is why I'm glad you're going to see your OB.

Things such as fibroids which have grown in size and persistant ovarian cysts (these can cause alterations in your hormone cycles) are 2 of the physical reasons cycles can become irregular.

Keep us posted.

• Members
Well you've got 2 out of 4 and possibly 3 out of 4 reasons for your cycles to be off. For women who are as regular as clock work there is always a lot of anxiety when their cycle get out of sync. The thing to keep in mind is that at your age the irregularity is seldom due to something "bad".

There are of course a variety of other reasons which is why I'm glad you're going to see your OB.

Things such as fibroids which have grown in size and persistant ovarian cysts (these can cause alterations in your hormone cycles) are 2 of the physical reasons cycles can become irregular.

Keep us posted.

That's very interesting... it good to have an OB on board.

• Review Team

Wow, never heard this one before but that may explain the craziness of my cycle this month. Like SS, I am always regular, at least 28 days but no more than 30 days apart. I was nearly two weeks late this month and could not figure out why since the three pregnancy tests I took all said negative. But, I was on antibiotics last month. Wish I had known about this prior to spending big money on tests, but better late than never (pun intended!)

Thanks for the info leslieanne, and keep us posted SS.

Wow, never heard this one before but that may explain the craziness of my cycle this month. Like SS, I am always regular, at least 28 days but no more than 30 days apart. I was nearly two weeks late this month and could not figure out why since the three pregnancy tests I took all said negative. But, I was on antibiotics last month. Wish I had known about this prior to spending big money on tests, but better late than never (pun intended!)

Thanks for the info leslieanne, and keep us posted SS.

I'm shocked and appalled that your doctor, knowing you're on BC, didn't forwarn you about this. Why does it seem to me that doctors are just assuming that people know these things, and not telling/reminding them?

I was always told that ANYTIME you are on any sort of antibiotic, unless directed by a doctor, continue taking your Pill anyway, but ALWAYS use a back up form of BC, like condoms.

And, I could be wrong here, but, if you're on BC, aren't you suppose to go to the doctor for a stronger pregnancy test? I mean, the Pill (if that's what you're on) is fooling the body into thinking it's pregnant, so it won't release an egg, so I would think that pregnancy test OTC wouldn't register correctly anyway. I hope leslieann can weigh in on that.

• Members
I'm shocked and appalled that your doctor, knowing you're on BC, didn't forwarn you about this. Why does it seem to me that doctors are just assuming that people know these things, and not telling/reminding them?

I was always told that ANYTIME you are on any sort of antibiotic, unless directed by a doctor, continue taking your Pill anyway, but ALWAYS use a back up form of BC, like condoms.

And, I could be wrong here, but, if you're on BC, aren't you suppose to go to the doctor for a stronger pregnancy test? I mean, the Pill (if that's what you're on) is fooling the body into thinking it's pregnant, so it won't release an egg, so I would think that pregnancy test OTC wouldn't register correctly anyway. I hope leslieann can weigh in on that.

Tyger I am a little confused by your response neither Mslayd or I are on BC. We were talking about how being on antibiotics can mess up your cycle. That is what leslieanne was pointing out.

• Members

I am back from the dr. He did a full exam, pap and gonna do bloodwork. He is doing tests on my FSH, LH and Prolactin levels.

He said if those levels come back alright I have two options...either to go on BC to regulate it or just to live with it.

I am gonna go for the bloodwork tomorrow and then go from there. So we will see.

Tyger I am a little confused by your response neither Mslayd or I are on BC. We were talking about how being on antibiotics can mess up your cycle. That is what leslieanne was pointing out.

Ooooooooooooooooooh.....LOL My bad!!! I have no idea what I was thinking!! Sorry about that!!! LOL

• Members

Regarding antibiotics - changes in your menstrual cycle are a possible side effect of some antibiotics, not all. As with most medications the type of side effects vary from person to person.

With regard to Tyger's response - although neither of you were on BCP - she is correct in stating that the effectiveness of BCP can be decreased by some antibiotics, so using a back up method (condoms) while on BCP is appropriate. Interestingly even on BCP the antibiotics can affect the cycle/flow.

Shortstuff - (s)he did all the right stuff - those tests will give a "picture" of your hormone status. As long as they are WNL (with in normal limits) it's an indication that the cause of the irregularity is related to all the stress you've been under. I would make the same recommendations - BCP for 3-6 months or wait it out. Which you decide to go with depends on how much of a pain in the ass the irregularity is for you.

Now back to Tyger's question about pregnancy tests and BCP. The BCP that are used now are typically "low dose" - they work by keeping your estrogen level at a constant, non fluctuating level. This interrupts the "conversation" between the hormones from the pituitary gland (LH and FSH) and the ovary thereby preventing ovulation. The estrogen level is not elevated - it's in the middle of the normal range. Since the hormone levels in your body are not elevated you can use the same pregnancy test whether or not you are on the BCP. The OTC (over the counter) pregnancy tests are just as sensitive as the urine pregnancy test you get done in the lab (truth be known they are exactly the same). In addition the urine pregnancy test is just as sensitive as the blood pregnancy test.

I realize that some of this is off topic from Shortstuff's initial questions, however I thought it reasonable to answer Tyger's question.

Must tell you ladies I LOVE IT when women want info and take ownership and control over what is happening to their bodies - many are very passive and don't. The more we know, the more we share what we know, the better off we all are!!

• Members

That is one thing I have never been the passive type with this. This whole thing has been bugging the hell out of me. Leslianne thank you for letting me know that it sounds like everything being done is on the right track.

Oh and the kicker...while I was there they were like we have a birthday present for you. Mind you my birthday is next month. Well since you will be 35 you will be going for your first mammogram. So in telling my SO he jokes about how they will get flattened. I told him well for the suffering that women have to go through. I think he should "kiss" them and make them feel better afterwards...lol.

I think if everything is fine I will go on the pill just to get it regulated. I am a very scheduled and organized person. When I met my SO he jokes about how he thought he was organized but then sees me. I am never late. I keep a calendar for everything and such. I hate not knowing crap and then it hitting out of the blue like that. I have been spoiled by being so on track I guess.

So we will see. I am getting the bloodwork in the morning. So in about a week I will let you all know how that comes back.

• Review Team

Thanks Tyger and Leslieanne for the info. I had heard that antibiotics made BCP less effective but I had never heard about them having the ability to mess up your cycle. That makes me feel tons better though.

Since the ectopic pregnancy and subsequent surgery I had last year, my whole body has been out of whack - I have gotten more colds this year than I have in my life, I have worse PMS, etc. When I was on antibiotics a few weeks ago (for strep throat - have had it three times in my life, two of those within the last year) I realize I have suddenly become allergic to some. I have never been allergic to anything, but one day into taking amoxicillin (SP?) I looked like a strawberry! So, anything new that pops up with me these days - like a late period - I usually blame on the pregnancy/surgery but I will let the meds take this one! :)

Thanks again and keep us posted on yours SS.

• Members

Will do. Went this morning and had the blood work. I found it interesting as I always have an issue with bloodwork. This time was the easiest stick but the worst bruising from one. Goes with no pain no gain...lol. They will have the results between Tuesday and Thursday of next week and then go from there.

• Members

Keep us posted, SS.

• Members

Well I have gotten all of my results back and all of my hormone levels are normal. My thyroid is out of whack so they upped my meds. He would like my TSH 5 or under and well it was 24. Not a good thing. Hypothyroid is something I have lived with since I was age 13.

He said if I wanted to go on BC to help it I could just let him know. No I am not going on anythign that I don't need to just yet. I will give it time for the new level of meds and see how it goes.

So in determination he feels between the stress and my TSH level is what has caused all of this.

Thanks everyone for your input....especially leslieanne.