Official Community Forums Home

Nagging Over Health

• Members

So, how much do you suppose one oughta nag his/her spouse when it comes to issues of health? No one likes to be nagged, and it is probably more counter-productive than productive. But when a spouse is doing a poor job of eating right and generally taking care of him- or herself and you see the possibility of it having some major negative health consequences down the road, is it worth piping up, or is it a lost cause up front?

• Members

I would not say that nagging would be good per say...it's only going to piss someone off and end up in a fight. However, I suggest sitting them down, and having a conversation about it voicing your concerns, and why it is your concerned.

• Members

We are both adults. I'll put it on the table, if I don't get what I want out of it, I'll bring it up until I get a plan. Close the deal with a decision about what the plan of action will be. I will do anything in my power to get my spouse to be proactive about his health, but in the end he is an adult and able to make his own informed, intelligent decision. I have to respect that, I don't have to always agree with it or like it.

• Members

Nagging is counter productive.

Helping your partner make better choices might be a wiser move.

Instead of a bowl of ice cream in the evening, maybe some sorbet or

Frozen yougert and fresh berries. Popcorn instead of chips or nachos.

Invite them on a walk in a field of wild daisies, or to the park to feed the ducks.

Find the things your SO enjoys and change them up a bit.

Be creative, and those better choices may come slowly, but they will happen.

If you are there participating with them, not nagging, it is a joy, not a job.

• Members
So, how much do you suppose one oughta nag his/her spouse when it comes to issues of health? No one likes to be nagged, and it is probably more counter-productive than productive. But when a spouse is doing a poor job of eating right and generally taking care of him- or herself and you see the possibility of it having some major negative health consequences down the road, is it worth piping up, or is it a lost cause up front?

Definitely worth piping up! ...but gently!!!! Make sure you don't give even the slightest impression that it is related to how attracted you are to them or their appearance... THAT will blow up in your face!

My husband has gained a bit of weight over the past couple years... I am by far a skinny mini myself! I have been trying to get him to start eating better because I am afraid for his health. I try to do these things myself, you know, to be a good example. I am not perfect!! Some days he mirrors my behavior, others not so much. We are working on it!

• Review Team

My hubby (that still seems strange to say/type!) smokes. I hate it. I want him to stop. But I don't nag him. When we talk about it, I point out how it took us so long to find each other, I really don't want to lose him now, but it ultimately has to be his decision. I have told him that I will support him through the tough times that there will inevitably as he quits and I mean it. Support gets you a lot further than nagging.

• Members

Yep...nagging or threats will get you nowhere. You can try to explain why you want them to change or improve their habits, do what you can to help, get them to join you in pursuing a healthier lifestyle, but when it's all said and done they have to be the one to make up their mind to do it. If they see the progress that you have made with following the advise you give them (you look and feel better, stronger, hotter!) hopefully they will want to get with the program to keep up with you - at least a little!

• Members

Been there too. Sometimes it does not matter how you say it they get pissed off and do just the opposite. Psyc Doc suggested post a list of things to do, which works some of the time. You'll get "Why do you treat me like a child" response "You're acting like one". You may just have to take a hard line and stick with it. It sucks but what's the alternative ?

• Members

So my wife says to me tonight, "Want some green tea?"

"No thanks." I say.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

"It's good for you."

"STOP NAGGING ME ABOUT MY HEALTH!" I bark, kidding, because this thread is going on. But she doesn't know I'm kidding.

"I don't nag you about your health. You nag ME about MY health."

"I don't nag. Just gently prod. . . . Besides, if I didn't nag you, who would? . . . "

Anyway, I finally explained I was kidding with my bark, and we had a little laugh over it. She says my nagging isn't overbearing and hasn't pushed her to wanting a divorce yet. :)

• Members

"No thanks." I say.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

"It's good for you."

"STOP NAGGING ME ABOUT MY HEALTH!" I bark, kidding, because this thread is going on. But she doesn't know I'm kidding.

"I don't nag. Just gently prod. . . . Besides, if I didn't nag you, who would? . . . "

Anyway, I finally explained I was kidding with my bark, and we had a little laugh over it. She says my nagging isn't overbearing and hasn't pushed her to wanting a divorce yet. :)

Funny! Thanks for sharing that!

• Members

"No thanks." I say.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

"It's good for you."

cute