Official Community Forums Home

Ladies Who Shave

Craftylady

• Members

:o Ack. Need help!!!!

I've never shaved below before, although I think I had it done years ago for a surgery. I recall it being slightly itchy as the hair regrew but nothing major.

Well, I discovered after I lost "all" my hair during chemo and radiation that I really enjoy that smooth hairless feeling. So a few days ago I shaved what has regrown.

OH WOW can you say itch???? It's driving me nuts. It's gotten a bit better today but geez.

Is this the price I pay? Or is my reaction perhaps over the top right now due to extra-sensitive skin from the radiation? And are there products you ladies use or can recommend to deal with the itching?

Guest eminatic

don't use a razor with more than 3 blades. you could also shave with the grain instead of against it, and do it as the last thing in your shower routine. i was very disappointed with the Coochy cream...it is identical to shaving with plain conditioner...which you could buy in MUCH larger quantities for the same price.

• Members

I wrote and article entitled 'Shaving Private Ryan' that should answer all your questions regarding regular and safe shaving! Find it in the sex ed article section!

• Members

Shaving is fine, but, I found your always going to have some discomfort during the regrowth period, and you'll have to shave ALL the time to maintain it. I wax and find it lasts a long time, is smoother, regrowth is lighter and there's isn't any discomfort during the regrowth period. It's not going to be the most pleasant experience the first time you wax, but it's tolerable and the benefits are worth it. Just make sure you go to someone that knows what they are doing. Others I know have had permanent hair removal of some kind, excellent choice too, but I haven't' done that.

In order to be gromed and pretty waxing or permanent hair removal is the best way to go.

• Members

Hi Mikayla, I'll go check out your article. It didn't occur to me that might be covered.

I don't think I could do the waxing. For one thing, my entire pubic area was damaged by radiation and the skin is more tender than normal. Maybe in a year or so? I could ask the radiation nurses if they have a recommendation on that.

I can't imagine how painful that must be, though. I always cringe when I read about waxing that area :o

• Members

I have been shaving for about a year and a half now. I don't find it any different for me whether I go with or against the growth. I do use the coochy cream from here and love it. I haven't had any problem with itching. I used Noxzema triple blade razors and love them. They are 2.97 for a 4 pack at Walmart and I haven't had to use a new one each time. I know some say that is what they recommend. I have found no difference when I tried it that way. Best of luck to you.

• Review Team

I generally shave those parts every couple of days, and yes, the itchiness and such gets much better the more you do it. It was mentioned here, but let me sing the praises of regular hair conditioner instead of shaving cream. It works much better - so good in fact, I use hair conditioner when I shave my legs, too. I agree with SS, I don't use a new razor every time but the one I use for those parts is used for nothing else. I use a different one for legs and under arms.

• Members

I got my items in the mail today. The Coochie cream looks just like hair conditioner - funny you say that it works as well or better!

I did buy some new 4 blade razors the other day, and used one yesterday. Oh well. I will say that the spray really does work well, though. I like it!

I read Mikayla's article and then browsed around more in that section. I didn't realize what a wealth of info is over there.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Guest eminatic
Shaving is fine, but, I found your always going to have some discomfort during the regrowth period, and you'll have to shave ALL the time to maintain it. I wax and find it lasts a long time, is smoother, regrowth is lighter and there's isn't any discomfort during the regrowth period.

wow that interesting...i always have the WORST ingrowns, itching and irritation when i've waxed. when i shave i have zero irritation but i do love the super smoothness of waxing.

I've been shaving since I was 19. Yes, you do get use to the "after-shave" itch, it does go away after your skin "toughens up", just as it did when you first started shaving your legs.

I've used Coochie Cream, and I LOVED it. Although, I DO shave with Tresemme Conditioner with aloe in it, & have had close to the same results. No dry skin, and a nice soft feeling afterwards. I use a 4+ razor when shaving. That gives you a better, closer shave. Never use a dull or cheap razor, because that WILL give you the itches no matter how long you've been shaving. I LOVE The Venus razors, especially the vibrating ones. I just wish the refills weren't so pricey. But, I guess that's better than having the prices of electrolosis/waxing.....

• Review Team
I LOVE The Venus razors, especially the vibrating ones. I just wish the refills weren't so pricey. But, I guess that's better than having the prices of electrolosis/waxing.....

I love those, too!

• Members
wow that interesting...i always have the WORST ingrowns, itching and irritation when i've waxed. when i shave i have zero irritation but i do love the super smoothness of waxing.

Hmm, I've never had any issues from waxing, neither have my daughters.

• Members

I love the Coochy Cream, and use Venus razors, but the thing that cut down on the itching--for me--was the Coochy Spray. I used it after I shaved, and then at least once a day if things felt irritated at all. Now I use it right after I shave, and I rarely have issues with itching like I use to. I think the Coochy Spray is more important than the cream.