Official Community Forums Home

Breastfeeding Exposed

jesso

• Members

Wait a minute arguing the ideas of a breast being exposed or not exposed is seeming to be less controversial than bottle or no bottle. Actually it is part of the issue as that was one of the solutions some had given to not breastfeeding in public. Some were trying to give the reasons why that solution would not work. Infants as you know LL are not cookie cutter. Their schedule and needs don't just change daily but hourly.

LL you were fortunate enough not to have to feed in public, but realistically compared to years ago...lives are much more busy. That I think has been a contributing factor to this change as well.

Agreed! Even though my kids are older yours, I don't think there was a difference how busy life was/is. Now if your comparing Your/My childhood to those of our children no contest. As a matter of fact, the trend now is not to over schedule kids giving them plenty of down time to play and explore like you and I did as kids. The trend when I started out ( and you have to remember I still have a HS student) was to keep them highly planed in as many actives as possible giving them very little free play time.

I agree some issues are a challenge, but at the time a lot of stores had separate comfortable private areas for nursing, airports lounges also. Out at the park or a few hrs? feed the baby, and run to the park while baby slept in stroller. Running carpools to activities, we were all very flexible with each other. Out to dinner, feed and go...... family function, go to a bedroom or office.

• Members

hey! want to agree with you on the bottle feeding being fine. my daughter was bottle fed (simply because she wouldn't take breast) & she's fine & really healthy. they make formula so much better now days as well.

your comments are tame. and this topic was to discuss points of views.. not to get anyone mad at anyone else :D and you have great input, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to share you're just because you oppose.. B)

• Members

Wow, this is a heated topic that has taken some turns! As with any subject that can be emotionally steamed, lets try and be respectful of each others opinions, and sensitive to it being a subject that has many answers. I posted this because after hearing from my associate how heated things got in his forum I realized this is a subject with so MANY MANY answers and outlooks. There is no right or wrong answer IMO. Its a matter of making what works for you best and for your family. And being that Social etiquette ranges so widely, this made it interesting to me.I was really just curious as to the views of so many women who are on this board who are a bit more sexually conscious of society and also many of you mothers.

• Members

My daughter was a bottle fed baby for most of her infancy. That was my thing that I was trying to say at 3 months old all of a sudden she wouldn't even take her bottle. That is why she was in the hospital as she would not take any of them. Yet it was stated that a previous poster never encountered a baby that wouldn't take the bottle. The thing is you haven't met every baby. There are lots of things we all don't know of but are out there. Needless to say they put iv's in her while she went through this. They couldn't explain why she did this. I breastfed the first month of her life but then I became rather sick and the doctors suggested I didn't because of the meds I had to be on. I would have loved to continued breastfeeding. I wasn't looking to argue I was looking to get my point across.

I know people that are adopted and have friends who have adopted. I never said that didn't make them a parent. An adoptive parent is with them all the time just like a biological parent. What I am saying is someone that doesn't have the child with them basically 24/7 yes can say things but may not fully grasp what it is like to be on the baby's schedule not your own. Yes Brandy you have helped raise them but there is a difference between helping and being the actual parent. Helping you still have your own life and don't have to answer to that baby like you would if they were your own.

• Members

I am not arguing with anybody on here, in fact, I have kept my comments very tame. Oh and I have practically raised my niece and nephews since they were infants since my sister pretty much just handed them off to my mother so I know what it's like to take part in raising a chid and am the closest to doing so without giving birth myself, yet. If you want to argue on that then your basically saying anyone who adopts is not a parent. I think people might argue with you on that one.

I have never felt the need or want to breastfeed my babies when I have them. I find it a little odd and rude to do so in public. That is what bottles and formula was made for. Go ahead and argue about formula but I was bottlefed with both of my sisters, my husband was, my mother and father both were and all of my niece and nephews and cousins were and there is absolutely nothing wrong with us! Sure, breastmilk may claim to be the best but it isn't the only option. A lot of you seem to think that it is or something. If it were then I would probably accept your arguments more about breastfeeding in public.

If you want to bottle feed your children, that's fine. That is YOUR choice, however, it may not be someone elses. Just like you expect people to respect your decision, you should do the same about THEIR decision.

My daughter was born 14 weeks premature with SEVERE lung disease that will take YEARS to heal. Her doctors told me my breast milk is with out a doubt 100% the BEST thing I could do for her. That my breast milk provided her with white blood cells, and nutrients that now matter how hard they try, CAN NOT be reproduced into a formula. I was told that my breast milk played a CRUCIAL part in her lungs healing and growing new healthy lung. Mind you my daughter is in THE BEST childrens hospital in THE NATION! People bring their children here to be treated from all over the world, so I am going tend to listen to them before I listen to you.

Now, Shortstuff was not insinuating that an adoptive parent is not a parent. I can not speak for her, but I'm pretty sure she was saying that YOU yourself do not have any children of YOUR OWN. Therefor , have no right to pass judgment on ANY mother who chooses to nurse their child. If it offends you to damned bad! Put on your big girl panties and suck it up. Personally I am offended that everytime I see one of yours posts I have to stair at your ass bent over a kitchen counter. Do I huff and puff and make an issue over it? Nope.. Why because I am and adult..That's what we do.

• Members

I have never felt the need or want to breastfeed my babies when I have them. I find it a little odd and rude to do so in public. That is what bottles and formula was made for. Go ahead and argue about formula but I was bottlefed with both of my sisters, my husband was, my mother and father both were and all of my niece and nephews and cousins were and there is absolutely nothing wrong with us! Sure, breastmilk may claim to be the best but it isn't the only option. A lot of you seem to think that it is or something. If it were then I would probably accept your arguments more about breastfeeding in public.

Whether or not you choose to breastfeed is your own personal choice. No one will argue with that.

However, I will tell you this. If you are on WIC and have a baby, they will NOT give you formula for the 1st two weeks or month of the baby's life. Breastmilk has been proven to be the gold standard. Yes, the nutrition in formula is fine. It's the extras that breastmilk provides that make it the best. Even formula commercials tell you that breast is best. Formula is an OPTION.

There are a lot of us who were formula fed. It is acceptable. Babies will grow and thrive. That wasn't the question that started this thread. In other countries--not the US--women feeding babies formula out of bottles would be considered "odd and rude". So much comes from the way we were raised.....

• Members

This all started when I was like 12 years old (I still lived with my parents so couldn't get away and have my own life) and continued on and is still going on today so I do believe I did much more than assist in raising an infant or two. Trust me I know what babies are like and how they act and react and just because I haven't actually given birth to a child doesn't make me any less qualified to give an opinion.

You were a child yourself...so no I am sorry you didn't completely get it. I know next will be that girls do have babies that young, but that still doesn't give them the decision making ability to handle it. Yes you lived with your parents. You did not live on your own with the child. You went off to school and someone else cared for that child while you were at school so you did get away. So you are gonna say as a pre-teen and teen you had no life or friends at all. That whenever you were not in school you were ALWAYS caring for the baby. I highly doubt that. I could be wrong but somehow I doubt it. Yes you have knowledge of what they are like but as a child yourself at the time you don't completely understand.

This thread has gotten sidetracked. It was about people's feelings on breastfeeding in public and how you can plan ahead supposedly so that you won't have to. I myself have said the last I will about this subject. I have FIRST hand knowledge as I am a mother and RAISED my child...not had knowledge or helped raise someone elses child. That is a big difference.

• Members

You're really going to take offense to someone's ass, that is very well covered up I might add, on a sex board??? Wow. How is it any different than your photo? It's an ass, a thigh, a leg and a stomach. I don't see how mine is anymore offensive than yours.

I think the issue on here right now is that the mothers who have problems breastfeeding their children whether it be their issue or one with their child are taking all other opinions different than theirs to heart and turning it into us belittling you because you can't breastfeed or something of the like. I don't know your issue and didn't ask and don't care to know. That is your business not mine. I have not pointed any of it out, you did. So, obviously, I am not referring to you not being able to do something. I was simply stating my opinion on this which it was asked oh so long ago. I forgot that if someone didn't agree with me that made me wrong in my thinking and belief and of course the enemy.

I get that some people put breastfeeding above any other option. That is their right and whatever. It really isn't an option for me, thats it. You don't like it, get over it as well. I never took anything to offense here than anyone said involving breastfeeding being the better option of feeding.

Ok, first of all, no one is belittling you for not wanting to nurse your children. As said before, your children, so what you want to do is your. But that opinion should not only apply to those who choose not to nurse, but to the ones who do as well. And for you to state over and over again, that you find it gross, and rude to see a woman nurse her children in public is plain childish.

Of course not everyone is going to agree with you, but the constant that's rude and gross and all that other nonsense is in fact rude to the people who choose to nurse.

I really don't care what you think about me or my situation. I was simply adding my opinion, and my reasoning for why I feel so strongly about what I chose to do.

• Members

You were a child yourself...so no I am sorry you didn't completely get it. I know next will be that girls do have babies that young, but that still doesn't give them the decision making ability to handle it. Yes you lived with your parents. You did not live on your own with the child. You went off to school and someone else cared for that child while you were at school so you did get away. So you are gonna say as a pre-teen and teen you had no life or friends at all. That whenever you were not in school you were ALWAYS caring for the baby. I highly doubt that. I could be wrong but somehow I doubt it. Yes you have knowledge of what they are like but as a child yourself at the time you don't completely understand.

wow.. you just described me.. I had my daughter when i was 15 (i turned 15 a month before i had her), i lived with my parents, my dad made me go to the alternative school 2 days a week, instead of full time.. thank God my mother let me go back to full time, because i wasn't ready to be a mom.. i was only 15. I even tried to pump to breast feed my daughter..

i might add.. before she was born i thought breast feeding was gross to see, gross to think about doing, and didn't want to do it, but after she was born, my mind completely changed. so don't make an opinion about it before you have children..

it's like the first time you go to a gyno it's weird, and it's like someone else is poking around down there. but after the 10th time, you just don't care anymore, because it's your doctor. the same thing goes with breastfeeding. the first time you might feel very self aware, but after a few times, you realize that that the world doesn't revolve around you and what you want, it's what that baby needs and wants, and people really don't notice what you are doing, unless they are in direct view...

anywho. I did go back to school, and i was a social butterfly, and i do have tons of friends. and my daughter is now 5 years old, healthy, happy, and knows i love her to pieces, and we wouldn't be where we are now if i didn't finish my schooling!

so my opinion, don't make a personal opinion about whether or not YOU choose to breastfeed until you are in that situation!

and like i said earlier... BRING ON THE BOOBIES!

Well, I DID breastfeed our daughter for a year, & I am very proud of that fact. I HATED pumping, because it takes FOREVER to pump, and it made my breasts/nipples too tender to actually have her suckle off of me. So, we did it the ole fashioned way, and stopped pumping. I did have back up formula, but, she only took about 4 bottles of it LOL.

I was VERY discreet on how I fed our daughter. We always asked for a booth in the back, I always had 2 blankets with me, always wore a nursing bra, and tried as hard as I could to have my back towards the public.

I don't think that it's really appropriate to just flop out your boob and feed the baby. If you have small breasts, it is easier to feed a bit more discreetly, with minimal effort, I've noticed that with a friend of mine.

Yes, I know that it's the most natural thing in the world, however, there is a form of basic courstesy that should be followed, and, how we did it, I think was the best way to do so. I only had ONE woman give me a dirty look, and, being drained, tired, and just exausted, I actually spoke up and said "Would you rather me have the blanket, and not seeing anything and KNOW what I'm doing, or hear the baby cry for about an hour? Cuz I'm willing to do that too." And I gave her THE LOOK. LOL She left me alone.

• Members

Well, I DID breastfeed our daughter for a year, & I am very proud of that fact. I HATED pumping, because it takes FOREVER to pump, and it made my breasts/nipples too tender to actually have her suckle off of me. So, we did it the ole fashioned way, and stopped pumping. I did have back up formula, but, she only took about 4 bottles of it LOL.

I was VERY discreet on how I fed our daughter. We always asked for a booth in the back, I always had 2 blankets with me, always wore a nursing bra, and tried as hard as I could to have my back towards the public.

I don't think that it's really appropriate to just flop out your boob and feed the baby. If you have small breasts, it is easier to feed a bit more discreetly, with minimal effort, I've noticed that with a friend of mine.

Yes, I know that it's the most natural thing in the world, however, there is a form of basic courstesy that should be followed, and, how we did it, I think was the best way to do so. I only had ONE woman give me a dirty look, and, being drained, tired, and just exausted, I actually spoke up and said "Would you rather me have the blanket, and not seeing anything and KNOW what I'm doing, or hear the baby cry for about an hour? Cuz I'm willing to do that too." And I gave her THE LOOK. LOL She left me alone.

awesome! that is how i would have done it too!! there is no problem with asking for a booth in the back, or turning away...

you worded it perfectly!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow... I'm glad that I missed this very heated convo... I didn't realize that breastfeeding was such a controversial topic, well, at least not a greatly heated one.

All I have to say about it is: it disturbs me when men get aroused by it. That, and showing off breasts more than needed. Although I am with the BRING ON THE BOOBIES! remark.

*backs away slowly*

• Members

Wow... I'm glad that I missed this very heated convo... I didn't realize that breastfeeding was such a controversial topic, well, at least not a greatly heated one.

All I have to say about it is: it disturbs me when men get aroused by it. That, and showing off breasts more than needed. Although I am with the BRING ON THE BOOBIES! remark.

*backs away slowly*

hahaha.. yeah i say bring on the boobies, cuz if you can breastfeed, do it! and I don't know why, but for some reason, i love boobs (even tho i am a woman... :huh: )

• Members

hahaha.. yeah i say bring on the boobies, cuz if you can breastfeed, do it! and I don't know why, but for some reason, i love boobs (even tho i am a woman... :huh: )

:lol: I am the same way. I LOVE breasts. They don't have to be big just big enough that I can grab and/or enjoy admiring, gotta love em. B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

When I publicly breastfeed my future children, I'll probably cover up to make *me* feel comfortable, but if it's hot or if my baby doesn't want a blanket over its face, I probably won't cover everything up. I won't expose unnecessary amounts of boobage for unnecessary lengths of time, but I won't hide in a restroom (do YOU eat lunch in public restrooms?) or go out to the car. My baby will get to eat when it's hungry. So there. :P I will be choosing the healthiest and most economical option, and if someone doesn't like to see it, then they don't have to look. I won't follow them around pointing at my titties! :)

• Members

When I publicly breastfeed my future children, I'll probably cover up to make *me* feel comfortable, but if it's hot or if my baby doesn't want a blanket over its face, I probably won't cover everything up. I won't expose unnecessary amounts of boobage for unnecessary lengths of time, but I won't hide in a restroom (do YOU eat lunch in public restrooms?) or go out to the car. My baby will get to eat when it's hungry. So there. :P I will be choosing the healthiest and most economical option, and if someone doesn't like to see it, then they don't have to look. I won't follow them around pointing at my titties! :)

haha! i love it!! that's how i feel too :D