Official Community Forums Home

Alternative Menstrual Supplies

LilGreenPuffer

• Members

It's really easy. If you're comfortable with your own body, it's just not a big deal. Plus, you throw away thousands and thousands fewer of them - infinitely better for the environment. Plus, it's actually better for your body. The bleach used in regular tampons is linked to cervical cancer, and the materials in them leave small lacerations in your vagina.

I have heard that cloth pads are really soft and comfy, and that the cups are pretty much the greatest things ever.

• Members

Listen, I am extremely comfortable with my own body, but I am soooooo with Wendy here - NO NO NO!

However, I do salute your attention to preserving the environment, I just believe that the standard tampon and pad were designed for a reason.

• Members

Well i have some second hand experience, well some heresy any way. As some of you may remember I did a stint as a cam girl and well, when your vagina is your money maker, you can't afford to take a week off. So what happens during that time of the month? Well while there are fetishes for that (ewww) most women went to either the sponge or the cup. I had my birth control to fix that little problem. But the sponge was used quite often because you can still easily use your toys (or ya know the real thing if you have that handy ;) ) and not have to worry about it, most men say they can't really feel it. Like LilP said you take it out, wash it clean, well rinse it, and there ya go. they are cheap enough that if you want to use a new on each month you can, plus a) they break down and B) your still throwing out a ton less garbage. The cup however had a few draw backs in the sex and toy department. When put in properly it literally catches and holds all your blood, but men said they can feel it and i have heard of a few women who said that mid-session they had it spill.

Both of these are available in your local pharmacy. :) I recommend giving it a try, because you get your hands dirty with tampons and pads any way, why not save a few bucks, throw out a few less things, and put a few less chemicals in your woohaa?

• Members

I agree with Wendy and Mik. big time. I also think this could leave one at a huge risk for infection if material aren't properly cared for.

• Members

ladylove, If you clean them properly, they are no less risky than regular ones. :) Regular tampons are not sterile.

Even though cotton is biodegradable, the biodegrading isn't actually so good for the water systems. It's the same as throwing food away instead of composting it. Rotting stuff in water causes a chain of bacterial blooms that eventually kill wildlife and contribute toxins to our drinking water. Also, the production of regular tampons isn't good for the environment, but sea sponge harvesting is sustainable and harmless.

Brandy, the planet is capable of supporting the people who live on it, but only if we change a lot of things (more than just tampons, and more than just a few people). :) We certainly don't all have to go for the sponges - I've heard the cups are spectacular, and they're a very different method.

regular guy, I don't eat that meat anymore, not since I found out what happens to the people and animals involved in the industry, plus of course the consumer's end of things. Ewwww.

Anyway, I didn't want to start an argument or anything, just wanted to say that I love mine and would recommend them to anyone considering an alternative!

• Members

My friends rambles on and on about how much she loves hers, how she used to hate her periods and now she doesn't care. It's pretty hilarious, actually. It amuses me.

http://www.divacup.com/

• Members

I'm sorry but I don't want anything other than the normal. A cup? That is just incredibly weird.

OK. We may not agree here, but we must be respectful. IT is actually not 'weird' the idea is pretty ingenius actually, it is just not for everyone. Let's leave it at that, OK?

• Members

I happen to disagree and don't find it ingenius.

Which is just fine. Just try to be respectful of other people's opinions. ;)

While I personally don't want to have a cup catching my blood, I can understand how for some people NOT having to change a pad or tampon, or worry about leakage, or whatever might be a convienience. I tend to think that almost all great examples of innovation were laughed at one time or the other, right? I mean, we can't really fly to the moon, can we?

• Members

Well, I wouldn't think less of anyone who wasn't willing to put up with the discomfort of periods when it can easily be avoided or at least reduced! Modern conveniences like, say, Tylenol go a long way towards keeping me functional, and I'm sort of confused as to why anyone wouldn't want that. :huh:

• Review Team

Which is just fine. Just try to be respectful of other people's opinions. ;)

While I personally don't want to have a cup catching my blood, I can understand how for some people NOT having to change a pad or tampon, or worry about leakage, or whatever might be a convienience. I tend to think that almost all great examples of innovation were laughed at one time or the other, right? I mean, we can't really fly to the moon, can we?

I agree. While I don't think it's for me, I am fine with it being for someone else. And I wouldn't totally knock it until I try it. (If I didn't believe in never saying never, I never would have found out I love anal sex and giving a blow job!) I imagine there was a time when the thought of tampons made women say eewwwww, too! :)

Where I have to join in with the "ewwwwwwwwwwwwww-sayers", I will say that I think it's a good idea, but after cleaning up after my daughter while she was in diapers, I have no desire to clean up after myself that intently. I already have to shower, shave, do my hair, and other housework around here, I don't want to have to think about cleaning/disinfecting pads. I do other things to help save the environment, so I'm with the "I respect your decisions. Go for it. Not for me, thank you!"

• Members

Some women bring a bottle of water into the restroom and rinse it over the toilet. Some also just stick the used one in a plastic baggie (sometimes kits come with waterproof carrying bags) and use a new one. Also, I carry a couple of regular tampons for use in public restrooms if needed.

Why do you hate the idea of people using these so much? You seem upset at the idea of anyone using them, not just yourself. I like them, other people like them, what's wrong with that? :/