Tatoos

T0920K

Tattoos are they sexy?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Sexy or not

• Yes
    • No

• Members

There's a word for this: discrimination. And that, is illegal. Having a tattoo does not inhibit a person's ability to preform a job. Those of us with tattoos know how to cover them up. Not hiring someone because they have a tattoo is an easy was to get sued and owe someone a lot of money.

Actually most employers now realize that tattoos are not a minority, and that again, not hiring someone because they have a tattoo is illegal, just as it would be to not hire someone because they're Asian, female, black, male, gay or any thing else. Employers simply tell employees to cover them, if its something like a neck or a face, they need to wear make up, or a bandage or wear your hair so that it covers. A good tattoo artist will actually talk someone out of a neck or face tattoo since they are so hard to cover. Further the few customer that they will lose doesn't offset the millions they could potentially lose in a discrimination case.

You're wrong on both accounts...It is not discriminatory nor an act of discrimination to refuse to hire based on Tattoos... My own company has a clause which prohibits Tattoos visible and may refuse employment of any man or woman solely based on the Tattoos visible on their body.

As Ive stated previously, I have Tattoos, but nothing visible therefore it was never disclosed many years ago while I was seeking employment here.

But there are guidelines, as Ive stated Our own US Military shall refuse your enlistment and or commission should you have Tattoos which are visible and or identifiable as depicted in my earlier posts...

So, to say a company is setting themselves up for a Major Lawsuit, you are terribly misinformed.

And Brandy, I wouldnt worry about your Tattoos, they are fine... I dont believe you were looking to join Our Fighting Men Abroad any time soon...

Guest eminatic

That is incredibly sad of you to think. If you don't like that someone has a tattoo then look the other way. Maybe someone doesn't like the way you wear your hair or your clothes but I'm sure that doesn't stop you from being employed does it? You think it sucks that people judge others with tattoos? You, yourself, are judging us. I have had a few jobs and not once did anyone say anything about my tattoos employerwise or customer. In fact I am always one of the best employees they have. A tattoo doesn't affect my ability to work and work well.

wow, you guys are a touchy bunch. as i already stated, i normally dont comment on others' tattoos if i don't have anything good to say about it. how is that judging anyone? stating a fact about employment? i never said *I* would never hire someone with tattoos. i also never said that people with tattoos *never* get hired. but you are incredibly delusional if you think it never happens. and as far as not being hired for hair/dress/etc it definitely happens. employers rarely ever disclose the exact reason they are turning you down, you're nuts if you think appearances don't play a role in the interview process.

• Members

wow, you guys are a touchy bunch. as i already stated, i normally dont comment on others' tattoos if i don't have anything good to say about it. how is that judging anyone? stating a fact about employment? i never said *I* would never hire someone with tattoos. i also never said that people with tattoos *never* get hired. but you are incredibly delusional if you think it never happens. and as far as not being hired for hair/dress/etc it definitely happens. employers rarely ever disclose the exact reason they are turning you down, you're nuts if you think appearances don't play a role in the interview process.

LOL--Don't worry about it--They're just very vocal :rolleyes: !! But--I do have to agree with something you said. Employers DO look at appearances when hiring. I work in a Cancer Treatment Center. My boss is a friend of mine who I grew up with. She's very funny and open. She was describing a girl to me that she had interviewed. This girl was SO SO SO TAN that she turned her down for the job (but didn't tell her that was why ) She felt it gave off the wrong impression to those cancer patients coming in for treatment. In her eyes it was the same thing as if this girl was smoking a pack of cigarettes in front of patients. She thought it would seem as if our company was "condoning" it. Was it right ??? No. But it happened.

We do have lots of co-workers with tattoos. Some are covered, some aren't.

Ready--I liked your Marine Website. My brother in-law is a Marine. I will have to ask him about it.

(he does not have any tattoos though )

• Members

I think it makes perfect sense for an employer to disqualify someone for having tattoos. While it may not be "right" or "sane" or "ethical" for people to make judgements based on appearance, you'd have to be in serious denial to honestly think that the world doesn't function that way.

I am aware the world functions that way. I am just saying it ought not to work that way. But I know it does.

USATODAY ran a story, http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/post/2010/08/are-piercings-tattoos-ok-for-hotel-workers-readers-say-no-no-no/103953/1

where they asked readers to comment on the question, "Do you think it's OK when a hotel worker greets you with a pierced eyebrow, pierced tongue or tattooed arm?" While they didn't give percentages, they said the answer was a flat out NO from the overwhelming majority of commentors. It bothers me that people would be so superficial and judgemental.

On the other hand, I differentiate between being non-judgemental of someone because of piercings and tattoos, and thinking they make the person sexy/attractive. It took me a while to get used to earings on a guy, to get used to tattoos, and to get used to a nose stud. Now those things don't really phase me. But things like heavy piercings, or a piercing below the lower lip, or those big disks people jam into their ear lobes, I really don't think these things are attractive. Would I absolutley rule out dating a chick with them? No, but I am not crazy about them.

Now having said all that, I've just thought, if I had to go find a lawyer for something like to do up a will, and I had a choice between a conventional, clean-cut-looking fellow, or one with a shaved head and skull tattoos and several pieces of face metal, could I honestly say I wouldn't matter to me which lawyer I chose? Ideally the answer would be it doesn't matter. I'm not sure that is the case, though I'm not sure it's not the case either. I'm still pondering that one.

• Members

Umm, not to put too fine a point on things here, but a tattoo is a choice, ethnicity is not. I have no issues with tattoos that can be covered but my store is a family store and anything that could be construed as scary, or offensive, or even as a bad example to the children who come in can scare my customers away. Not hiring you isn't descriminatory, not hiring you would be a good, fiscally sound business decision. For the record, i don't find tattoos offensive, a turn on, or a turn off, but they can say volumes about a person.

Randy.

• Members

You may not "normally" comment on people's tattoos but when you do, its rude and and insulting (and for those of you keeping track the phrase "you are incredibly delusional" is a personal attack and one that someone could actually take offense to). And no Wendy, we're not vocal, she was the one who sparked my earlier post with the comment "all i do is stare at it and fight the urge to say "you have some dirt on you right there" " That is rude and insulting. No one on here insults her for her Lolita style, its a personal choice and one that not many would make. But she feels its okay to insult those of us with tattoos. We're not touchy she's rude and insulting and she always has been that way on this board.

• Members

You may not "normally" comment on people's tattoos but when you do, its rude and and insulting (and for those of you keeping track the phrase "you are incredibly delusional" is a personal attack and one that someone could actually take offense to). And no Wendy, we're not vocal, she was the one who sparked my earlier post with the comment "all i do is stare at it and fight the urge to say "you have some dirt on you right there" " That is rude and insulting. No one on here insults her for her Lolita style, its a personal choice and one that not many would make. But she feels its okay to insult those of us with tattoos. We're not touchy she's rude and insulting and she always has been that way on this board.

The interpretation of "read words" are absolutely subject to personal interpretation. To stave off an argument lets just give E the benefit of the doubt.

Guest eminatic

LOL seriously, what planet are you living on.

1: "you are incredibly delusional if you believe ridiculous statement X" is different then "you are just plain incredibly delusional, the end."

2: this thread SPECIFICALLY asked what members think of tattoos, hence why i gave my answer. no i would not say that in a normal conversation. no it was not attacking you or anyone, quit being such a crybaby for christ's sake.

3: "no on insults her for her Lolita style, it's a personal choice and one that not many would make" LOL hypocrisy. if "it's delusional to think X" can be construed as an insult, then so too can this statement. (or pretty much any vanilla statement apparently in your world. or perhaps is it any statement as long as it comes from me? if i made a thread ASKING MEMBERS for their input on how they feel about lolita style (or anything else) and someone responded "it's a huge turnoff/i hate it etc" i would certainly not be offended and start crying "INSULT INSULT BAWWWW PERSONAL ATTACK" i certainly didn't see in the original post: "what do you think of tattoos? only like minded individuals respond."

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume that you are desperately looking for any reason to argue with me, no matter how flimsy or ridiculous your argument is. because if you honestly believe that choosing a tattoo is a condition protected by law then you need help.

and you wonder why this forum fell inactive so long ago. it's not me dearie, it's you.

• Members

I have to agree with Suzy. I have noticed you are always snippy and rude on here. I think you are too harsh and maybe don't realize it or maybe you do and don't care. Its kind of why I don't really pay much attention to your comments, I may skim through them but never put much effort into reading them or taking them into consideration. Sorry if that offends you but that is how your rudeness has effected me.

Also there is a difference between saying you don't like something or that its not for you over going out of your way to be rude and belittle someone by saying "you have a little bit of dirt there" when you know for a fact that its a tattoo. You are basically saying that person is dirty and trashy and that is rude. You could say "oh thats nice" whether you mean it or not doesn't make a difference but its much nicer than telling them they are dirty.

Thank you Brandy!

Guest eminatic

I have to agree with Suzy. I have noticed you are always snippy and rude on here. I think you are too harsh and maybe don't realize it or maybe you do and don't care. Its kind of why I don't really pay much attention to your comments, I may skim through them but never put much effort into reading them or taking them into consideration. Sorry if that offends you but that is how your rudeness has effected me.

that wouldn't offend me if it were true, but it seems that you go quite out of your way to read too much into my posts and whine about how it could be construed as rude in some obscure way.

Also there is a difference between saying you don't like something or that its not for you over going out of your way to be rude and belittle someone by saying "you have a little bit of dirt there" when you know for a fact that its a tattoo. You are basically saying that person is dirty and trashy and that is rude. You could say "oh thats nice" whether you mean it or not doesn't make a difference but its much nicer than telling them they are dirty.

please direct me to where i ever said i "tell them they are dirty" i said that is what i think when i see a tattoo, not what i say to someone when i see a person with tattoos and again the only reason i shared this was because this thread was asking what posters think about tattoos. god forbid that not everyone fawns over them. :|

• Members

please direct me to where i ever said i "tell them they are dirty" i said that is what i think when i see a tattoo, not what i say to someone when i see a person with tattoos and again the only reason i shared this was because this thread was asking what posters think about tattoos. god forbid that not everyone fawns over them. :|

You don't need to fawn over them, refering to them as dirt however, whether on here or to someone's face, is insulting. And to the point the post asked if you found them sexy or not, to which you could have left off "turn off" instead of posting a comment for the pure insult factor.

Guest eminatic

LOL and you know without a doubt that the ONLY reason i could possibly have posted that was "for the pure insult factor" huh? do you even listen to yourself when you talk?

tattoos are a turnoff for me. they are a turnoff for me because they look like dirt. get over it. it's as simple as that. people are repulsed by random things. people have phobias of random things. surely you wouldn't accuse these people of being that way "for the pure insult factor" now would you?

• Members

LOL and you know without a doubt that the ONLY reason i could possibly have posted that was "for the pure insult factor" huh? do you even listen to yourself when you talk?

tattoos are a turnoff for me. they are a turnoff for me because they look like dirt. get over it. it's as simple as that. people are repulsed by random things. people have phobias of random things. surely you wouldn't accuse these people of being that way "for the pure insult factor" now would you?

Do realize how little sense you make? I mean seriously. Are you now claiming you have a phobia of tattoos? Should we add this to your long list of ridiculous claims?

Guest eminatic

LOL my long list of ridiculous claims?

sorry, i forgot that you need literally every single thing spelled out for you otherwise you jump to the most irrational conclusions, so here goes:

-NO i did not say that *I* have a phobia of tattoos. i am saying your desperate attempt to concoct some story about how i only stated that i do not like tattoos JUST for the purpose of offending others IS AKIN TO stating that someone with a phobia of curly hair is ONLY adverse to curly hair JUST FOR THE PURPOSE OF offending people with curly hair. once again I AM NOT STATING THAT I HAVE A PHOBIA OF TATTOOS/CURLY HAIR/WHATEVER ELSE YOU MAY COME UP WITH. just that people do NOT base their likes/dislikes on whether or not it offends you.

please try to read carefully this time, and try to only respond to what is here, not what you think you can make up using bits of what is here and bits of some random backstory you try to concoct.

• Members

And what exactly does it say hmmm??

Depends on the tattoo and location doesn't it? Don't automatically jump to the conclusion that I meant negative. To quote Brad Paisley...there are times I really would "like to see the other half of the butterfly tattoo." However, there is at least one tattoo floating around the internet right now with a guy who has tattoos all over his face, one of which, on his nose, says "I smell bitches". That screams disrespect.

Randy.

• Members

Depends on the tattoo and location doesn't it? Don't automatically jump to the conclusion that I meant negative. To quote Brad Paisley...there are times I really would "like to see the other half of the butterfly tattoo." However, there is at least one tattoo floating around the internet right now with a guy who has tattoos all over his face, one of which, on his nose, says "I smell bitches". That screams disrespect.

Randy.

I don't think anyone would argue that everyone has taste, but ya know that goes for everything i imagine. Psst Thur, I have a butterfly... ;) (missed you!! Tell Val I said Hi!)

• Members

And no Wendy, we're not vocal, she was the one who sparked my earlier post with the comment "all i do is stare at it and fight the urge to say "you have some dirt on you right there" " That is rude and insulting. No one on here insults her for her Lolita style, its a personal choice and one that not many would make. But she feels its okay to insult those of us with tattoos. We're not touchy she's rude and insulting and she always has been that way on this board.

Oh, I know---I was just trying to stop it from escalating. (It's that motherly "mediator" I have built into me !! LOL. )

I have to describe my husband's friends tattoo. It's FAR from sexy but it's very ingenious !! My husband is a very skilled Tool and Die Maker. He has a friend who owns his own machine shop and is also a Certified ToolMaker like my husband. Now, speaking about not judging a book by it's cover--this man definitely falls into that statement. He does not look like a man who has the high IQ and the EXTREME amount of money he does. (very grundgy looking, etc... ) He's a very gentle, sweet and shy man--Definitely an introvert. He uses a measuring gauge so often that he had it tattooed on the side of his finger !!!

Poor T---I'll bet he had NO IDEA that his thread would turn into this !! LOL..... Ok T--you mentioned your wife having tattoos. Describe to us what they are. Did you know she had them when you first met her ? Or are they hidden ? Which one of all of them do you find the sexiest and why ?

• Members

Oh, I know---I was just trying to stop it from escalating. (It's that motherly "mediator" I have built into me !! LOL. )

I have to describe my husband's friends tattoo. It's FAR from sexy but it's very ingenious !! My husband is a very skilled Tool and Die Maker. He has a friend who owns his own machine shop and is also a Certified ToolMaker like my husband. Now, speaking about not judging a book by it's cover--this man definitely falls into that statement. He does not look like a man who has the high IQ and the EXTREME amount of money he does. (very grundgy looking, etc... ) He's a very gentle, sweet and shy man--Definitely an introvert. He uses a measuring gauge so often that he had it tattooed on the side of his finger !!!

Poor T---I'll bet he had NO IDEA that his thread would turn into this !! LOL..... Ok T--you mentioned your wife having tattoos. Describe to us what they are. Did you know she had them when you first met her ? Or are they hidden ? Which one of all of them do you find the sexiest and why ?

That's an ingenious tattoo!!

My sleeve is all ivy, it's based on my druidic "zodic". The druids believed that everyone was born under a tree, mine is the Ivy. And when I stumbled across it, and I was reading what kind of a person 'Ivies' are I realized that it was me to a tee, so much so it was like someone had been looking through my window. so I went for it, It's not done, I still need to get my shoulder capped and the under side of my arm done. the cool thing about my sleeve is the negative space, i love that it's not a solid sleeve like most.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I didn't vote. Neither sexy nor unsexy in my book, so neither a yes or (nor?) a no.

Maybe they tend to draw my eye a little bit, but all things being equal I don't think I'd pick a girl with a tattoo over one without, or vise versa.

It all seems to be kind of a fad, though. At one point it was hot cars and greasy hair. Then it was long hair and ratty clothes. Then it was green and yellow and pink and purple mohawks and goofy clothes and mostly sorry excuses for hot cars. Then on to grungy and baggy clothes. Now it's tattoos and a face and maybe a body full of metal. I wonder what will be next?

I'm with you Square. I'm pushing 60 myself. I've worn the same style of clothes for the last 30+years. No tats here as I prefer to hang my art work on the walls at home. Tho a tat here and there can be hot It's just not my thing really.

Say square were you ever tempted to pull on a chained up nose ring to spark a response from the owner of said nose ring? Lol

• Members
I think it makes perfect sense for an employer to disqualify someone for having tattoos. While it may not be "right" or "sane" or "ethical" for people to make judgements based on appearance, you'd have to be in serious denial to honestly think that the world doesn't function that way. it sucks but there will always be people out there who will judge, and employers know this and do not want to give reasons right off the bat to shoo away business. why would an employer purposely shoot themselves in the foot for unrealistic idealism? /tangent i'm not saying that i think people with tattoos are dirty/trashy/etc, but i really, really do not like the look of tattos-- any tattoos, or the look of ink under skin in general. it's not an automatic disqualifier for dating either. i'm never rude about it, as all of my friends have at least a few tattoos- i just usually refrain from saying anything at all about them when I am around people with tattoos. unless they are constantly putting it in my face and fishing for compliments, then i usually say something along the lines of "i don't really like tattoos"

Em - is that you? Somehow I would have thought you would have the exact opposite attitude. You are indeed an enigma. I share your opinions, BTW. Thanks for posting this.

• Members
At the risk of going off on a bit of a tangent, while I am not personally big on tattoos, I am also a believer in not judging a book by it's cover. The idea that an employer wouldn't hire someone, or that a traveller is bothered by being greeted at the hotel front desk, by someone with piercings or tattoos is just plain silly to me. Ge over it.

Everyone has a "cover." It is the first impression. When people choose their first impression to be obvious piercings or tatoos they are saying something about themselves. For an observer to ignore it is to ignore their message. Is that what they want - to be ignored? If they want to be ignored, why decorate themselves? It seems to me piercings and tatoos invite comment, and the pierced and tatooed have to expect some of it is going to be negative. Employers have to look at this too. Do they want to pay the cost of a negative impression from a customer in order for an employee to express themselves at work?