Official Community Forums Home

What Forms Of Birth Control Have You Tried? What Worked Best?

Tyger

I've tried condoms, The Pill, Nuvaring, vaginal foam, & VCF film.

Condoms with the foam, film, or The Pill worked the best. However, I did NOT care for the film. If your fingers have the slightest bit of moisture on them, then it sticks, and folds on itself, making it a block of spermicide. Some people have had bad reactions to it, but the only side effect I had was a slight odor from down there for a few days.

Nuvaring made me sick and crampy almost immediately after insertion, so I took that right out and got The Pill instead. I REALLY don't want to be pregnant again, so I always double up with condoms as well.

• Members

As a male, I've only used a condom...My GF uses the pill, though its not typical pill utilized daily as most women here use... I am not even sure what its called, it is a form of the pill... I'll have to ask her...

• Members

Being married to my first wife for two years was effective birth control for us.

• Like 1

• Members
Being married to my first wife for two years was effective birth control for us.

LOL..... I've used Natural Family Planning (Sympto Thermal Method) for almost all of our married years.

It has worked. I know my body really well--when I'm fertile, when I'm not. We also planned both our daughters using it.

As I've gotten older my body is changing and I am hesitant to rely on it.

I can still tell when I"m fertile and I'm SUPER careful during that time.

We have been using condoms . My husband is not a huge fan of them. What he really hates is the latex smell. We have found some that are much better. They are Durex brand.

I think that you have to find what works best for you.

• Members

Condoms, the Pill, a sort of rhythm method, and vasectomy. Condoms seemed to work, though I do not like them. Got away with the rhythm method for a while but eventually wife got pregnant; can't say we were being too careful though. The pill worked for a while, then failed. Twice. So the vasectomy was next. It still seems to be working.

In terms of success rate, comfort, and convenience, the vasectomy comes out the winner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, female condoms are still around. :)

• Members

I use the Ortho Evra patch. I put a patch on my arm and change it once a week. Nice and easy. I have been on it for about 5-6 years with no trouble from it at all.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Tyger, the Pill has always worked for me! I have never had any side affects from it such as gaining or losing weight. The only problem I had was taking it at the same time every day so I switched to the Depo. It was great and I absolutely loved it but I switched back to the Pill after freaking myself out from reading its reviews. When I switched back, I knew I had to take the Pill at the same time everyday so I started and still am taking it right before I leave for work and on the weekends I take it as soon as I wake up. :)

I think Mirena will be my next step. Though, for now, I am back on the Pill. Since I'm not having sex, it helps aleviate a lot of my PMS symptoms. I'd love to get my tubes tied, but I can't afford to do that at this time. So, next February, when it's time for me to switch, I believe the Mirena will be it. :)

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I had serious problems with the mirena iud, it caused vaginal bleeding and I had to have it removed. I'm back on the pill but want to try the patch..

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Never had to worry about contraception. Had a major accident when I was young that left me with the inability to produce sperm. Use condoms for safety reasons.

The middle of April, I'm going to get my tubes tied. I'm totally done with being fertile! LOL

• Like 1

• Members

Natural FP. I watch the calendar like a clock, my body even more and pull out every time!