Official Community Forums Home

On The Pill...few Questions..

iso8

• Members

Ok so finally im on the pill, Previously ive always just used condoms mainly because i didnt like the idea of putting artificial hormones in me, but after 2condom failures I decided to take the pill. Been on it for a week and i cant believe taking a pill protects me it seems so weird!!

(I suppose because when you use a condom you can see that its worked or that it hasnt!!)

So my partner asked me if we could have sex without the condom once. neither of us ever had before,( we checked for stds etc and we're both clear)

I suppose my main worry is that will taking the pill every day really protect me enough to have sex without a condom?? ( I know that its not 100% but its more effective than condoms...) In the back of my head i keep thinking how can swallowing this tiny thing stop me getting pregnant?

i suppose im after reassurance

thanks

Iso

• Members

I understand where you are coming from. I just went on the pill too but have an issue believing it's going to prevent me from getting pregnant so I checked into diaphragms and use those as well. I know it's something that's visable for me to see and knowing with it and a birth control pill the likelihood of me getting pregnant is very slim.

If that's not for you and you still feel comfortable with condoms - use them. It's all a matter of personal choice.

Best of luck!

• Members

I've been taking the pill for several years now, and my fiancee and I have used it as our only method of bc since we met, 1y3mon ago. I haven't had any problems with it. BUT if you miss just one little pill, you can get pregnant. I think you're at risk that entire month. So if that happens, go back to using a condom until it's safe again. You can talk to your dr about it, if it's really worrying you. There is still a chance that you could get pregnant, but there is a chance with any type of bc.

I was on the Pill before we decided to have a baby, almost 5 yrs ago now. And I hope to go back on it very soon. Right now we are using both condoms and foam while having sex.

It was my main source of BC in a long-term relationship. When I was dating, I used the Pill and condoms.

I was on the pill from the ages of 16-29, continuously. Never had any problems. Where it is true that you can get pregnant if you miss a pill, from what MY OB told me, if you've been on it a while, one is ok to miss, as long as you take it as soon as you realize you miss it. But if you miss 2, definitely use a back up form of BC. Over 13 yrs, I missed a pill here and there, and caught up with it ASAP. I loved it.

That little pill has the hormonal power in it to fool your body into thinking that it's pregnant so it won't release any more eggs. It's small, but packs a lot of regulated power! When you get any antibiotics, make sure whatever doctor that prescribes it, knows your on BC, and what kind, cuz most of them will affect the efficiency of the pill, and they will recommend a back up method of BC.

Just remember, the Pill ONLY protects against pregnancy, and not any STDs.

• Members

The pill is 99% effective WHEN TAKEN CORRECTLY! That means, don't miss pills, take them around the same time daily, and make sure that you don't take things which coincide with it - like certain antibiotics and other medications.

If you are worried -use a foam or another form of bc. Otherwise, the pill will do its job - but make sure you wait at least one cycle on the pill before unprotected sex!

Good luck and good job being protected!

Mikayla

• Members

I used the pill for eight years in a row, the mini-pill (after our dd was born and I was nursing) for a year, and the regular pill for another year without getting pregnant. However, I'm really a routine-oriented girl, so I probably only missed three or four pills in that entire time. If you really don't trust it though, by all means, use something else--even if it's only for psychological protection. It took my husband a long time to really trust the pill. One of the drawbacks I found to using the pill was that it seemed like it really took its toll on my libido. Because I was on it for so long I really didn't notice until I quit taking it in order to get pregnant. That probably won't happen to you, but you might want to watch for it, just in case.

• Members
I used the pill for eight years in a row, the mini-pill (after our dd was born and I was nursing) for a year, and the regular pill for another year without getting pregnant. However, I'm really a routine-oriented girl, so I probably only missed three or four pills in that entire time. If you really don't trust it though, by all means, use something else--even if it's only for psychological protection. It took my husband a long time to really trust the pill. One of the drawbacks I found to using the pill was that it seemed like it really took its toll on my libido. Because I was on it for so long I really didn't notice until I quit taking it in order to get pregnant. That probably won't happen to you, but you might want to watch for it, just in case.

If you use any herbal medications, St. John's Wort can also effect the performace of BC pills.

I was on the pill off and on most of my adult life (off to have children and nurse), and it was great not having to worry. However, I too found it affected my libido. I was much less interested in sex. I went off the pill a couple years back, as I was starting through menopause, and felt I needed to give my body back to nature. The libido does come back!

• Members

Thanks for all your responses! its amazing to have so many!! one Question mikayla, my girlfriends told me take the pill for a week and then you can start having sex...

I feel a lot happier knowing that the pill has protected you guys with nothing else i guess when you think about what the pill does, it must work!

I think its just because im so used to condoms!

thanks guys xx

• Members
I believe you still have to take the pill for a month before having sex. Don't get your medical advice from us, or your girlfriends. Talk to your doctor or his nurse!

Howard

Yes, Howard is correct on this. And yes, the pill REALLY does work! I guess I have more experience in the pill area because my own mom took the pill after having me until she hit menopause, and I was able to see first hand that it really did work. For me, I couldn't wait to get off the pill and got an IUD. I knew I was done having kids and couldn't afford a tubal ligation, so my ob/gyn suggested the IUD.

I was also going to mention that it's a good idea to take the pill at the same time everyday. :) Like maybe in the morning right after you brush your teeth. That way, it fits into your routine. If you go away on a trip, make sure the pack is visible so you won't forget them either. You can find really pretty compact-looking containers offered by some pill comanies, to discretely hide them too.

No, you should NOT have unprotected sex just a week after being on the pill. It takes about a month for your body to fully adjust to the pill's affects, and can still release an egg just cuz it's not use to it.

Some women have stated that it affected their libido, but it didn't me. In fact, the knowledge of being protected against pregnancy probably made me even more horny! ;)