Official Community Forums Home

Lesson Learned On Birthday

telecom69

• Members

My gf had her 46th birthday on Sunday. On her birthday, I usually always take the time to get her a gift and a card. I decided to do something different this year. I really couldn't think of anything to get her and she would never tell me. So, on her birthday morning, I made her a nice breakfast in bed and then said I'm taking you for a nice lunch at an upscale restaurant, some drinks, and a shopping spree for her to pick out something she would like. I really thought this approach would work and be something different. Well, was I wrong!! She acted kind of strange the whole day and wouldn't really say anything and didn' seem excited about it. We talked last night and she said she was dissapointed I just didn't take the time to get her a gift and that is what she would rather have. I didn't forget or not have time to get her a gift, I was just trying something different. She was appreciative of what I tried, but likes the traditional protocol better. And she said a simple card means as much as anything else.

Again, a lesson learned...STAY traditional.

Telecom

• Members

I can NOT believe she did not like that! I would LOVE it if my hubby did that for me, and he has - it was just dinner and a shopping spree! I think your gf is hard to figure and apparently, hard to please! OR, maybe she felt odd having to pick something out for fear that it would cost too much or not be something you were willing to buy.

I think that all women are different, but we women have to stop being so picky and hard on our lovers - you were clearly trying to make her happy and THAT is the best present any man could give his partner!

Mikayla ;)

• Members
I can NOT believe she did not like that! I would LOVE it if my hubby did that for me, and he has - it was just dinner and a shopping spree! I think your gf is hard to figure and apparently, hard to please! OR, maybe she felt odd having to pick something out for fear that it would cost too much or not be something you were willing to buy.

I think that all women are different, but we women have to stop being so picky and hard on our lovers - you were clearly trying to make her happy and THAT is the best present any man could give his partner!

Mikayla ;)

Mikayla,

That is true what you said about the money. She said she is comfortable accepting a gift from me, but her picking something herself out isn't comfortable for her. Now Valentines Day is coming up to :blink:

• Members

Hi Telecom,

What about combining the two... Letting her choose the present out of a selection chosen by you? For instance, you promising to purchase the sex toy of her choice. This way the gift reminds of both the giver and the receiver. Or have you already done that?

Regards

• Members

Well I have to say that was a very nice thing of you to do for her birthday. I can understand the fact that she felt uncomfortable picking her gift in front of you. Like stated above she felt funny wondering if it was to high priced etc....but its nice to know that there are still women such as her (and myself)out there where its not the size of the ring or if its gold instead of silver or if its a designer name.....its all in the thought that counts. People have to stop being so picky and just enjoy that they have someone who takes the time to buy a gift or card....someone who remembers that special day.....someone who puts time and effort into doing something nice for that special someone in their life. Valentine day is upcoming and from what you wrote it seems to me that she would like you to be the "tradiontal romantic" that you seem to be.......and im sure if you buy her some gift she will love it. If she doesnt give you any hints as to what she would like or needs........you just have to go with what you know.....pay attention and it will be clear as day. LOL

Remember its the thought that counts!!!!!!!!!!

Hrnychick

Being a woman, I can say this: We can be SO unpredictable!!! And it can be a PITA to our men!

I would love to have a nice dinner and shopping spree. My hubby's done that once for me, and gave me a limit of what he was able to afford, so I felt completely comfortable doing it.

Maybe next time, pick out a beautiful card, and a shopping spree to a particular store/section/price range? Maybe a gift card?

Or with her, just stick with traditional. Where a shopping spree is nice, she is right in saying that you taking the time to pick something out for her means more to her than the gift itself.

If she tries to make you feel badly, tell her that all you want to do is keep things fairly spontaneous, for her and for the relationship. Now that you know what she likes, stick with it......usually. A bit of a change is good too though.

There are a lot of women out there, that will find fault with everything you try to do, and won't be happy due to having preconcieved notions of what THEY WANT you to do, but not TELL you about it.